Realistic expectations for Touch 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thermal, Jun 9, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

Now that the iPhone 4 has been introduced, I feel we have a clearer picture of what the 4th generation iPod Touch might offer. My guesses:

- gyroscope
    - retina display
    - same physical form factor as iPhone 4 (glass front/back)
    - 16/32/64 GB
    - $199/299/399
    - one camera... most likely on the back.
    - non-HD video
    - better battery life
    - A4 processor.

I do not expect 128 GB.

One thing I'm uncertain of is the $199 Touch: it will likely be a 16GB model, but I'm wondering if they'll use the new form factor or retain the 3G form factor for the entry level model.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

There might be a new form factor, but one thing is certain. They will not use the same glass back as the iPhone 4.

They have always wanted to keep them similar, by having the same approximative shape, but different by the material.

3. brendu macrumors 68020

im thinking it might look like a miniature iPad... with the same processor, gpu, and ram as iPhone4... only issue with that is the wifi problems from the aluminum back...

4. Aeroplane macrumors member

I think your expectations are indeed very real, the only doubt I'm having is with the camera and physical form...

I wish they would finally include a camera, and if it records video it would be awesome! imagine using imovies with your ipod touch? that would be fantastic!

aw but i think i'm only dreaming...

let's see what September brings

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

$199
    16GB, hardware of the third generation.

$299/$399
    32GB/64GB
    A4, retina display, gyroscope, one camera.

Aluminum enclosures.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

same but

-8/32/64 GB (no 16GB or 128GB)
    -one camera on the front (similar to the iPhone front camera)
    -back will be silver

I doubt we will see 2 cameras and a front facing camera makes more sense.

7. BreuerEditor macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

I'm praying for a 128GB, but I agree...I think at this point it's a little unrealistic..A4 processor, 64GB, gyroscope, camera, and retina display....that's what I think...

8. BreuerEditor macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

I personally agree with this...similar setup to the iPhones...not a big jump up in size going from older gen to newer gen...we'll see in September!

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

for sure i think we will see

- gyroscope, 6-Axis
    - retina display
    - same design as iPhone 4 but smaller!!!!:eek::eek:
    - 16/32/64 GB
    - $199/299/399
    - video recording camera similar to the camera like iPod Nano 5G, but no 5MP camera
    - 7-9 hrs of better battery life, better than iPhone but not as much as iPad
    - A4 processor for sure.

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm not so sure about moving to the new iPhone design. I thought the whole point of the new design was to integrate the antennas into the frame. To me it wouldn't make much sense to do this with the Touch as it isn't a phone. Wouldn't oppose it though.;)

11. ColinEC macrumors 6502

These four things seem to be the most probable updates:

-A4 Processor
    -Retina Display
    -Gyroscope
    -16GB ($199), 32GB ($299), 64GB ($399)

I don't expect the iPod touch to gain the iPhone 4's design. I'd expect a design similar to the current generation (concave back). maybe replaced by a black or white plastic back (like the iPhone 3G). A video camera may be just as unlikely as an iPhone 4-like design. Apple seems to be pushing the iPhone more and more as a device for creating media (i.e. videos), and the iPod touch for consuming it.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Possible GPS?:rolleyes::D

One can only dream....:)

13. brendanspah764 macrumors regular

brendanspah764

My opinion:
    • Gyroscope
    • A4 Processor
    • 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB
    • Same prices as Third Generation
    • And two Cameras
    • Better Speaker
    • Retina Display
    • And probably a new form factor

Two cameras would provide even more use of FaceTime, and if Apple wants to keep video-calling going then they need to put it on the iPod touch. No. Doubt.

14. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

I respectfully disagree.

With economies of scale, it's much more cost efficient to have hardware similarity between products. It's far less expensive for Apple to have similar bodies between the iPhone and Touch than to have two completely different bodies.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Or, as a friend told me, the iPad looks like a giant touch :D

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I doubt it's getting the iPhone form factor. I would like to see a colored aluminum back a la iPod nano. I think that your other predictions are spot on.

17. brendu macrumors 68020

at least give the black and silver like the classic offers... That would be sweet.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I believe the current iPod Touch already has a polished aluminum back...

19. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

It's polished steel :)

EDIT: but the wi-fi only gets trough the plastic on top of the iPod.

20. hclip macrumors newbie

hclip

Remember this? Maybe this will end up being the new touch...
    [​IMG]

21. swtchrly08 macrumors newbie

Any prediction on when?

My ipod and blackberry broke at the same time and since I will not join att i was thinking about getting a touch. The buyer's guide says don't buy the touch now so I was hoping someone had predictions about WHEN the new touch/ipad mini will come out.

22. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I don't think we'll see a $199 4th gen Touch. The $199 price point will be an 8GB/16GB 3rd gen Touch (remember, the current $199 Touch is actually a 2nd gen, no a 3rd gen). The price point for the 4th gen Touch will be $299 onwards.

As for camera, I don't think the Touch will have a camera at the back. However, imo it would have a front facing camera so Apple can advertise FaceTime. Then again, Apple might do another attack to the flip video cam market, and putting the 4th gen Touch as the competitor with the same camera capability as the iPhone 4, including 720p recording and iMovie. The only catch is if they did this, then it might overlap with the iPhone 4 as the difference between the 2 is not much. Or we might just see the 4th gen Touch getting the 3GS' camera with VGA video recording.

Anything is possible. Apple's only competitor in this space is the ZuneHD (unless Sony released their rumored Android-based walkman), so Apple could've just kept everything more of the same and only focus on the pricing and minor updates.

23. BreuerEditor macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

As soon as the education "Buy any Mac and get a free iPod Touch" ends (Sept. 9th), they'll have their conference about new iPods...so expect new ones in Sept/Oct...I refuse to switch to AT&T since my family, fiance, her family, and a lot of our friends are still on Verizon, so I'm waiting on the new Touch's and just keeping my phone as something separate. .02

24. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I think a lot of what people have said here is spot on...

Here's my predictions:
    - Gyroscope (For sure...They are trying to market the iPod Touch as a gaming device, so it would make total sense to add this)
    - Retina display
    - New design (One can only hope to get rid of the horrible back that scratches so easily)
    - 16/32/64 GB (at prices $199/299/399)
    - Only one camera on the back-shoots HD video (to compete with the flip..kids can have video recording in their back pocket and can upload straight to Youtube if Wifi is around)
    - Better battery life (maybe 5-7 hours)
    - A4 processor.

Things I'd love to see but will never happen. :rolleyes:
    -GPS
    -Front facing camera (both cameras shoot HD)

25. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

I really hope that they stop using the chrome finish on the back... It is impossible to keep it scratch-free. Maybe they could use the original iphone's aluminum back?