Reality TV- Make it Stop

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do people really watch this crap? Tonight's fare...

Wipeout - An extreme obstacle course is faced by 24 contestants vying for a $50,000 prize.

I Survived a Japanese Game Show - Americans compete in a zany Japanese game show.

America's Got Talent - yeah, then why is David Hasselhoff on this show

Hell's Kitchen

After that, I turned off the TV Guide channel.

Please make it stop.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Simple. Turn the TV off. ;)

Seriously, the worst I watch is Iron Chef (and maybe Ninja Warrior), but you can't go wrong with a cooking show.

BL.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It really is bad. But I've loved a few reality shows, like Trading Spaces, Project Runway, and Iron Chef. It really just depends on if the show is ACTUALLY teaching you something or you're learning with the person, or being inspired, excited, etc... by more than just hot people or stupid drama. And it's nice when it's about more than just whoring one's self out for money, eating bugs, lying/playing games, etc.

But for the most part, reality stinks. Some reality is so stinky that it loops back to being bizarrely entertaining, like ANTM. How many ways can they say to smile more or less, or open/close your eyes more or less? They make it sound like rocket science! Ridiculous!

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only reality show I watch is 30 Days, because that's actually interesting, has a purpose, and requires more than half a brain to understand it.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm with BV, TV is still here, but not on in about 7 weeks.

Soon to leave the premisses, as soon as I can find 2 guys with strong backs and weak minds.

:p

7. bbbensen macrumors 6502

That Wipeout shows seems a tad bit like Ninja Warrior....:rolleyes:

And for that Japanese game show one, I think they just want to profit on how popular those are on YouTube. Its kinda sad.

I do plan to watch them though.:eek::p

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hahaha, brilliant. Thank you.

Your mention of Hasselhoff reminded me of this mock up I did for a string of David Hasselhoff-based jokes when presenting a paper on holmium-loaded microsphere biodistribution for a journal club meeting. Maybe someone else will find my extraordinary waste of time interesting.

Attached Files:

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

so far, wipeout looks more like staged reality tv than funny game show like ninja warrior.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Reality TV - making people stupider one show at a time.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I mainly just watch baseball all summer.

And for the record, Al Roker hosting Family Feud is awful.

12. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

As far as I'm concerned the only true host of Family Feud is Richard Dawson. Just like the only real host of The Price is Right is Bob Barker.

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

that sounds like a good idea. i'll go ahead and watch the marlins and rays game instead of this reality tv trap.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Reality TV: the reason i have no external connections to my Television. just my DVD player is hooked up.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Once the sponsors got the taste of cheap programming, during the writers strike, the handwriting was on the wall.

Kiss drama/comedy TV good-bye.

Nothing short of a total viewer revolt will bring it back.

16. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

You must consider the ultimate value of what you are watching. If it provides no lasting value and does not expand your knowledge of the world, it is purely "throw-away" entertainment. Use it as such... don't expect anything of value to come from it. That's why I regularly watch about... one TV show. That's it.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

One more thing, does VH1 not have any more ideas for crap shows that they can't even wait for the decade to end before they air "I Love The New Millennium". What does the "VH" stand for anymore anyways? Surely it isn't "Video Hits".

18. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i sometimes watch hell's kitchen (which i subtitle 'reasons i don't eat at restaurants) with all the blunders they make in those kitchens. i treat it somewhat as an expose inside kitchens at your fine dining establishment more than the drama aspect.

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

20. bandaros macrumors member

21. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Trust me, it works. Use torrents to download the few worthy shows.

Reality TV is basically an oxymoron. As soon as you stick a camera in someone's face they stop being "real."

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was going to say I'm proud that I don't want reality TV, but I watch the Apprentice :eek: even though it is mostly a giant big farce it's pretty interesting to watch.

It ends there. I'm sick of these half assed, cheap programs. I'm sure that back in college I read a white paper saying TV studios were committed to removing reality TV shows from their lineup. Well that was 4 years ago and it's only getting worse.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If I wanted reality TV, I'd watch the news.

BL.

24. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

(mouth-full-of-chips-voice)

Naw pleafe do no ftop reality fhowz... me like fome cute chickz fhowing their boobf to get famouf!!!

:D

25. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

I work on a number of reality TV shows and I can tell you they are far from "reality"

Every aspect of the show is scripted. If the people infront of the camera do not say what the producers want to hear, they stop the cameras, have a small meeting and the next thing you know, you have the subjects expressing their frustration or surprise and amazingly they say exactly what the producers want to hear.

Reality TV is the bottom of the barrel in terms of "unscripted" television shows. They are cheap to make, they are not paying actors because people actually do this stuff for free (15 minutes of fame) and they make money which is the bottom line for the executives steering the network ship. Quality programming is no longer the direction - if it makes money for the network, they'll broadcast it.