really an update worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by kayleee, Sep 27, 2015.

  1. kayleee macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2013
    #1
    Currently on Yosemite 10.5.5 and works perfectly, on macbook air mid-2013

    Should I really upgrade once its released?

    I think its releasing 4-5 days right?
     
  2. ABC5S Suspended

    ABC5S

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    Release on this Wednesday the 30th. Is it worth it. Unknown. Works for me, but if your OS version is OK by you, stay with it if you wish. I always upgrade to the latest version with no issues
     
  3. alksion macrumors 68000

    alksion

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles County
    #3
    At least gain feedback from the general public first or forum members here to get a good perspective on its stability. I usually do that, but lately people have been pretty rude around here when inquiring about software updates.

    Better luck for you I hope.
     
  4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

    dogslobber

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
    #4
    Yosemite is very mature now so if something is broken then it's broken for good. If you want to be an early adopter like those explorers who headed west on the Oregon Trail then you'll be in for a wild ride! It depends on your concern of level of stability.
     
  5. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

    dianeoforegon

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Location:
    Oregon
    #5
    If you backup your Yosemite drive as clone on external drive, you can safely upgrade to El Capitan. If you have any issues, it's easy to boot back into the clone and run from external or erase El Capitan and clone Yosemite back.

    With all upgrades, some users will have no issues and others will say it's the worst ever.
     
  6. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2013
    #6
    hi stability is my #1 priority ....really
     
  7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

    dogslobber

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
    #7
    I think you answered your own question then. Stick with 10.10.5 until a couple of 10.11 point releases have passed would be my recommendation.
     
  8. fisherking macrumors 603

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #8

    this. there's no way of guaranteeing you anything; some of us are having a great time, others...not. no way to know until you get there. up to you if the 'new' is worth the 'risk'...
     
  9. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    Location:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #9
    Depends on what you do but I'd move to El Capitan because of the extra security that comes with rootless mode not to mention the performance enhancements but that being said if you're really all for stability then your safest bet is to wait till 10.11.1 is released. For me, I'll be moving to El Capitan for both computers on Thursday (NZ Time) since I'll be up all night because I have a graveyard shift on Friday - it'll be great to be all on the same page for all computers.
     
  10. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

    Hastings101

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    K
    #10
    I think you should wait until 11.1 at least, though El Capitan performs much better and is a lot more stable than Yosemite for me. I had some weird bugs under Yosemite, even with a clean installs, so I wouldn't rush into El Capitan unless you have issues.
     
  11. deany, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

    deany macrumors 68030

    deany

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    North Wales
    #11
    OP
    I was think the same but seem to have my heart set on upgrading Weds.

    I have Parallels 11 waiting to be installed on Wednesday & I'm keen to get notes synced with ios9.

    Are most people upgrading on Wesnesday ? like the high ios uptake or is upgrading osx not as popular (% wise).


    My system will hopefully be a rock solid stable-

    El Cap
    Parallels 11
    Windows 10
    Windows 7
    Windows XP

    Stock Retina 2015 MacBook Pro 512 SSD

    I backup to TC

    I was planning just an 'upgrade' 13.00 EST Wednesday, any advice from experts? Also any idea GB of El Cap I need to be somewhere at 14.00 hrs

    cheers
     
  12. beebarb macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #12
    @deany

    Heh, sounds like a familiar configuration... ;)
    Well, besides the model of Mac, but semantics.

    Currently I am running the GM candidate, after accidentally installing it on my Mac's main disk rather than the external drive I used for testing public betas (opted out of beta updates after 10.11.1 showed up).

    Anyway, Parallels 11 runs quite well, and I look forward to installing the release version of El Capitan when it comes out. I regularly make use of my Windows 7 and 10 VMs.

    Only issue is, if you regularly use full screen mode in Parallels, turn off badges in Notification Center. There's a problem that stops the VM virtual display from updating for up to 30 seconds after a badge notification appears in full screen mode.

    Not sure if a bug in Parallels, or a problem with how El Capitan handles badge notifications.

    El Capitan should be about 7 GB in size for the download as far as I know.
     
  13. deany, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

    deany macrumors 68030

    deany

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    North Wales
    #13
    Hi beebarb,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Appreciate the advice on 'badges' in full screen mode in Parallels

    Gosh 7 GB, thats quite a download (for some reason I thought it would be < 2GB). I guess it is via the app store and the macs mains adapter will be required.
    With everyone connected to apples server on Wednesday I may leave it till Thursday before upgrading.

    thanks again
     
  14. yansun macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #14
    I'm running the newest El Capitan beta on my MBA Mid 2013 and I don't really regret installing it on my machine.
     
  15. mcrazza macrumors member

    mcrazza

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Hobart, Australia
    #15
    @kayleee

    In terms of stability the GM Candidate is stable, save for a couple of bugs here and there. I'd say 95% stable. However, when the final build of El Cap lands on 9/30 (or 10/1 for us Aussies) it will no doubt be very stable indeed.

    In terms of features El Cap doesn't offer much new on top of Yosemite on the surface: split view, improved spotlight, additional Mail functionality, under-the-hood optimisations... essentially it's the Snow Leopard of 2015, which isn't a bad thing.

    So is it worth upgrading to? Yes. Right away or later on? Right away. It's important to always have an up-to-date system.
     
  16. CJM macrumors 65816

    CJM

    Joined:
    May 7, 2005
    Location:
    U.K.
    #16
    Public beta 6 is the best version of Mac OS I've personally ever used. (I think 10.3 Panther was the only one I've skipped)
    My Macbook Air screams. I'm actually genuinely surprised how well it's handling all my open programs, Safari tabs and Parallels 11. Miles better than Yosemite ever did. There's no UI lag to speak of, and uptime is currently sitting at 19 days. It's rather wonderful. I actually look forward to using this laptop as much as my beefy desktop.
     
  17. definitive macrumors 68000

    definitive

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    #17
  18. username: macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2013
    #18
    For me there is no compelling reason to update. El capitan seems to be lacking any important new features. With Yosemite I loved the new look and the ability to recieve texts from anyone. There were a lot of new features. And Yosemite runs great on my macbook air so i wont be in a rush to upgarde like i was with Yosemite.
     
  19. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2015
    #19
    While El Capitan GM is quite stable I wouldn't call it Snow Leopard of 2015 because it doesn't seem to have as much under the hood optimisation as Snow Leopard had. Its too early to say for sure but my impression is that there were too much pressure for new features instead of optimisation.

    Personally I would never upgrade to OS that is just released because it could have serious bugs which were not found during testing. Its much safer to wait 2 or 3 updates before upgrading. Previous OS X versions were not exactly inspiring on the release day...
     
  20. Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Putting out the fire with gasoline...
    #20
    If stability is the priority, it`s much better to wait until 10.11.2/3 at least as by then the vast majority of major issues will have been resolved. I am in the same position and will keep my Macs on 10.10.5 as I am observing zero issues, once 10.11 has been through a couple of "point" release I will then move to the new OS.

    Staying 6 months behind the OS release in general does no harm, you still get a major update, however the risk of issues with hardware and third party applications is significantly diminished.

    Q-6
     
  21. deany macrumors 68030

    deany

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    North Wales
    #21
    I would do this but I recently purchaced Parallels 11 software, optimised for El Cap. What is your advise there? I have zero issues with Yosemite but like the idea of this 'autohide' menu bar on El Cap, and to use Parallels and as ^ mcrazza says being 'up to date'.

    However I do like your idea of letting others sort the 'bugs' out first.
     
  22. Queen6, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

    Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Putting out the fire with gasoline...
    #22
    Will Parallels 11 work with 10.10.5 I would assume it does. I use My Mac`s for work purpose, so a seemingly small issue can and will poise a significant issue in the field. As long as Apple support the OS they will continue to issue security fixes, undoubtedly 10.11 does surpass 10.10 regarding OS level security, equally being 6 months behind the release date will not compromise anything.

    I may install 10.11 on an external drive to see how it fairs, equally I don't want to invest too much time. once 10.11.2/3 is released there will also be a far greater base of adoption, more importantly associated comment & response. Apple has to make a call on a release date, nor is that release date solely tied to the stability of the OS.

    In summary if you rely on your Mac for significant purpose there is absolutely no imperative to replace the OS on the initial point release, especially if the current OS has no issue related to your usage/workflow. As they say "patience is a virtue"...

    Q-6
     
  23. deany macrumors 68030

    deany

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    North Wales
    #23
    yes I'm a great believer of 'patience is a virtue'

    parallels 11 works with 10.10.3 or later, so it says on the box, but I thought this install may prevent 'problems'...but I'm no expert:

    Backup to TC

    Upgrade to El Cap on Weds/Thurs
    Install Parallels 11
    Install Windows 7 & 10 & XP

    Backup to TC
    ...................
    My alternative is:

    Backup to TC

    Stay on 10.10.5
    Install Parallels 11
    Install Windows 7
    Install Windows XP

    Backup to TC

    in 2-3 months Backup to TC then upgrade to El Cap, but I thought that may mess all my Parralels settings etc- the more OS the more chance of 'problems' etc

    Not sure how the El Cap install works with existing programs.
     
  24. beebarb macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #24
    @deany The upgrade won't touch your existing programs.
    Your pre-existing virtual machines and Parallels installation will be untouched.

    The only way you lose anything is if you do an erase and install instead of an upgrade.
    Or if something goes really wrong, but that's why you make a backup.

    You'll only run into problems with existing programs if they aren't compatible.
     
  25. Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Putting out the fire with gasoline...
    #25
    Given the trend over the last few years, it`s safe to say that 10.11 will have "some" issue on release, Apple will work to improve the OS in time. Personally I work in OS X and if needs be run some proprietary engineering applications in a compatibility layer. Same concerns I don't want the new OS to screw up applications that are currently no issue under 10.10.5

    Ultimately as long as the system is backed up (I use SuperDuper) you are safe. It`s difficult to comment one way or the other on your plan, as either one has the potential to bring issue at some point, as you say more OS, more complexity. A third option maybe a little more prudent, by holding off until 10.11.1 release which is clearly in the near future. Apple are pushing the .1 release aggressively, which albeit assumption on my behalf tends to make me think that all is not perfect in the 10.11 initial release, equally Apple may just want to "get ahead of the game"

    Another aspect of "holding off" for a limited period of time is that it gives the third party developers time to issue updates, as 10.11 does make significant changes to how OS X works, which "flags up" the caution in my mind as I do have some critical applications and don't need them going "dark" waiting on an update. Personally I have never had issue upgrading the OS, equally I do consider the options when to proceed, and in the case of 10.11 I am a little more cautious due to the changes in the underpinnings of the OS.


    Q-6
     

Share This Page