Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
@deany The upgrade won't touch your existing programs.
Your pre-existing virtual machines and Parallels installation will be untouched.

The only way you lose anything is if you do an erase and install instead of an upgrade.
Or if something goes really wrong, but that's why you make a backup.

You'll only run into problems with existing programs if they aren't compatible.

Thanks for your reply.

are you upgrading to El Cap on Wednesday?, if so I may 'hold off' a Weds/Thurs upgrade and ask your advise on Friday is that's okay?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Given the trend over the last few years, it`s safe to say that 10.11 will have "some" issue on release, Apple will work to improve the OS in time. Personally I work in OS X and if needs be run some proprietary engineering applications in a compatibility layer. Same concerns I don't want the new OS to screw up applications that are currently no issue under 10.10.5

Ultimately as long as the system is backed up (I use SuperDuper) you are safe. It`s difficult to comment one way or the other on your plan, as either one has the potential to bring issue at some point, as you say more OS, more complexity. A third option maybe a little more prudent, by holding off until 10.11.1 release which is clearly in the near future. Apple are pushing the .1 release aggressively, which albeit assumption on my behalf tends to make me think that all is not perfect in the 10.11 initial release, equally Apple may just want to "get ahead of the game"

Another aspect of "holding off" for a limited period of time is that it gives the third party developers time to issue updates, as 10.11 does make significant changes to how OS X works, which "flags up" the caution in my mind as I do have some critical applications and don't need them going "dark" waiting on an update. Personally I have never had issue upgrading the OS, equally I do consider the options when to proceed, and in the case of 10.11 I am a little more cautious due to the changes in the underpinnings of the OS.

Q-6

very much appreciate your valued advice, and may well 'hold off', thank you

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
@deany
Well, I kinda have no choice but to 'upgrade' to the release version when it comes out, I can't be running the GM candidate on or after that date.

Sure, if it helps.

Reactions: deany

mcrazza

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Hobart, Australia
Personally I would never upgrade to OS that is just released because it could have serious bugs which were not found during testing. Its much safer to wait 2 or 3 updates before upgrading. Previous OS X versions were not exactly inspiring on the release day...
That's a bit overly cautious. In my experience I've had zero problems with an upgraded OS since I switched to Mac in 2008.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Currently on Yosemite 10.5.5 and works perfectly, on macbook air mid-2013

Should I really upgrade once its released?

I think its releasing 4-5 days right?
Make a Time Machine backup before updating/clean installing. It might also be worth your time to check the compatibility of the software you use frequently before updating, to minimise possible downtime.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
That's a bit overly cautious. In my experience I've had zero problems with an upgraded OS since I switched to Mac in 2008.

Having used OS X from 10.1 and Mac OS before that I prefer to be prudent rather than rash. Yosemite has given me more trouble than all previous OS X versions (apart from 10.7) my confidence in Apple is rapidly diminishing.

Only way I'm going to install 10.11 tomorrow is if someone is holding gun to my head...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Having used OS X from 10.1 and Mac OS before that I prefer to be prudent rather than rash. Yosemite has given me more trouble than all previous OS X versions (apart from 10.7) my confidence in Apple is rapidly diminishing.

Only way I'm going to install 10.11 tomorrow is if someone is holding gun to my head...

sorry your not happy with Yosemite.
is there any possibility it is some software on your mac? why are most people happy with Yosemite, myself included?

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
There are too many reasons to list them all, a few examples: 1. Its "improvements" have no benefit for my needs and many changes are detrimental. 2. Bugs that have not been fixed (OpenCL, Finder, etc.) 3. Making OS X resemble iOS.

I have posted more detailed problems in Yosemite forum.

I am not convinced most people are happy with Yosemite because I haven't seen any reliable surveys.

mcrazza

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Hobart, Australia
Anecdotally I can say that Yosemite has been 99% fine for me. That lonely 1% I put down to Mail hiccups with Gmail. Not a huge issue although it's annoying that a couple of times a week when opening Mail the app only partially responds. Removing Gmail fixes that problem altogether.

Queen6

macrumors G4

No this is simply prudent, a small issue in the OS or a conflict with a critical third party application can bring absolute chaos especially if you rely on your Mac`s for a living. Apple these days release new iterations of OS X on a predetermined schedule. For many 10.10 was not stable until the .3 release, and now it`s all done at .5. And so the cycle repeats with 10.11. Personally I want Apple to focus on security & stability, less on "bells and whistles" OS X is close to being in permanent "Beta", which is far from what I want, and it`s origins...

FWIW I personally have had no issue with 10.10, equally I know many who have, with 10.10 bringing a vast influx of issues to the forum. 10.11.1 is already out in Beta which is unusual, to me Apple are ether putting more focus on OS X, or the initial point release still has significant issue across their hardware, as September 30th is already here...

Q-6

kayleee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
does anyone know how many hours before this is released?

just got time machine backups now i'm waiting...

mcrazza

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Hobart, Australia
10.11.1 is already out in Beta which is unusual, to me Apple are ether putting more focus on OS X, or the initial point release still has significant issue across their hardware, as September 30th is already here...
Could it be that Apple are doing what Microsoft is doing by continually releasing new builds of their OS for devs and testers, culminating in a proper OS update with all the bug fixes up to that point? IIRC MS had already released a newer build of W10 RTM either right before or right after W10 officially dropped.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Could it be that Apple are doing what Microsoft is doing by continually releasing new builds of their OS for devs and testers, culminating in a proper OS update with all the bug fixes up to that point? IIRC MS had already released a newer build of W10 RTM either right before or right after W10 officially dropped.

I hope so. What is possibly another driving factor for Apple is Windows 10, Thx to Microsoft and Windows 8, Apple have enjoyed a pleasant resurgence in Mac sales. Now that OS X has greater competition Apple is surely compelled to raise it`s game in order to continue the upward trend in sales of the Mac.

Competition is always good for the consumer, personally I don't care about the pricing, I do care about the quality of the hardware & software, the value for money "per se" and expect Apple to deliver.

Generally I think 10.11 will be a non issue as in not overly problematic, however downtime costs, so it`s prudent to allow Apple more time to develop the OS. Of all the iterations of OS X I have used 10.6.8 & 10.10.5 have been by far the best so far, one hopes 10.11 exceeds current expectations.

Q-6

Reactions: mcrazza

jasonkratz

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
@kayleee

So is it worth upgrading to? Yes. Right away or later on? Right away. It's important to always have an up-to-date system.

This is terrible advice. I currently have several pieces of hardware and some software that isn't ready for El Capitan yet and doesn't work. Important stuff for me to have work. It is not important enough to "always have an up-to-date system" if stuff you need isn't working on the new system.

mcrazza

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Hobart, Australia
Terrible advice? Seems like a lot of people today have updated. Reviews of El Capitan have also encouraged users to upgrade to keep their system up-to-date. Surely that's not terrible advice in general?

Last edited:

jasonkratz

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Terrible advice? Seems like a lot of people today have updated. Reviews of El Capitan have also encouraged users to upgrade to keep their system up-to-date. Surely that's not terrible advice in general?

I understand a lot of people have updated and for many of those I'm sure they're fine. Then there will be those who updated thinking how bad can it be and then something important doesn't work. I think the better advice is make sure everything you need to work does work by doing a bit of research first, and if you're in the clear by all means go for it.

Reactions: mcrazza

sportsnapper

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
UK
Unusually, I'm planning on updating today. I've seen so many very positive reviews, and performance improvements that I think it's probably OK to go ahead (and yes I've checked app compatibilty etc.).

Parallels is by far the biggest issue for me - as my accounting software is windows based. As long as that will survive the upgrade we're good to go. Adobe has been fine for a while.

Just waiting for the download.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.