Really basic vibrate question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidra, Jan 1, 2012.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Under Sounds, there are two vibrate options; my assumption is that the top button activates vibration for all notifications when the ringer is silenced. What precisely is the function of the lower one that has to do with ringer and alerts? What I'm trying to do is turn off vibration for texts and email and only have it vibrate with phone calls. Is that possible?

2. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

Not possible with vibrate. There are workarounds, however, to setting which will have a sound.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The first vibrate is vibration for when the phone is on silent. In other words, when the sound profile switch is flipped down to red, do you want the phone to vibrate or be silent.

The second vibrate toggle is for when the phone is not on silent. Do you want your phone to vibrate when it rings and makes sounds, or do you want it to only ring and make sounds?

4. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

OK....but I'm still not sure about the function of the two separate vibration buttons. I suppose I can't stop texts from vibrating if I want the phone to vibrate with calls, and I can turn off sounds on my (non-native) emails accounts (Gmail) which I assume will keep them from vibrating and I"ll still get a screen notification. But why two vibrate buttons?

Edit: thanks, worldoflife; you posted just as I was posting my above question. That explains a lot.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sure no problem :)

and as for your second question:
    Yes. What you need to do is go to Settings > Sounds > New Mail > and select "none". Then you need to do the same for messages and click "none". Then when you switch the sound profile switch to red, only calls will vibrate but email and texts won't. The only problem is that when the phone is not switched to red, it still won't make sounds for email and texts unless you changed that setting again.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yea as other said earlier, first vibrate toggle is to switch vibrate mode when you put iPhone to silent mode.

Second vibrate slider is to switch vibration on normal mode, there's no separated settings between phone calls or text vibration. Any tone ring your iphone (phone calls, sms, email, even tweet), it'll vibrate too. Except you choose "None" for a particular action, than it will sounds no ring nor vibrate.

7. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502