Really Bored at Work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dianestory2, Sep 16, 2014.

1. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

I just opened this account on my lunch break... I'm very bored at work, and am open to suggestions to help make the time go faster?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Go sweep the floors.
    Organize the storage shelves.
    Wash your boss's car.

3. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to stay at my computer. :p

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Try out a session on calm.com? I always feel great even after the 2 minute option :cool:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What is your work, that you are so bored by it? Are you bored daily by your work, or merely bored this particular lunchtime?

6. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do marketing- but for some reason today I'm just not feeling it. I'm still doing my work, but I feel like my lunch break was five hours ago, but it was actually only less than 2 hours ago. Time is just dragging, and I would just love to go home and relax. I'm not usually like this.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The reason I asked was to draw a distinction between long term and short term boredom, the one caused by disinterest in or dissatisfaction with your actual job, the other, caused by more immediate concerns.

In other words, if you had said you were bored all of the time, I'd suggest that you start thinking about a change of employment, whereas an uninteresting day at the office may have other causes, and other remedies (cultivate some interests, or hobbies) may suggest themselves.

8. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand completely. No, I usually enjoy my job. I'm just feeling a little out there today. Completely disinterested in work. I think I just want to go home and take a nap. Not sure.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Strange first series of posts...but welcome OP.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Post of the day!

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

13. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

What? No..? Sorry everyone, I was feeling quite off yesterday. A co-worker told me to open an account here.

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

that is awesome!

15. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I'm bored long term and short term at my job and I hate my job. I think my day consist of me trying to avoid one whole long string of busy work by slacking off, procrastinating, and avoiding people. I hate my job and I dread getting up every morning to come in. I don't ever have any leave because I tend to take it as soon as I get it unless I know I have a vacation coming up because I dread going to work so much.

I've even though about declaring bankruptcy at one point just so I wouldn't have to come here any more.

16. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you considered seeking employment elsewhere?

17. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Every day, but I make about double minimum wage and live 5 miles from where I work.

18. dianestory2 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can find that elsewhere, right? Check you local Craigslist postings for jobs a few times a week. You might even be able to find something better.

19. Scepticalscribe, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And what about trying to find something that you like to do, or are interested in doing? To be honest, while a jobs that pays 'double the minimum wage' has its attractions, mainly felt in your bank balance, they pale into insignificance if the salary is the only thing which is keeping you tethered to that position.

Find something that interests you, or that you like to do, and try to make some sort of a living from that.

20. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I've applied at over 50 locations for IT work and had 2 contact me back for entry level help desk that I've had to decline. One requires you to be there from 9-5 for the first few months for training and a probationary period. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The second was a 3PM-11PM shift. I go to school in the afternoons and evenings and neither was willing to be flexible. That's how I got to where I'm at in the first place and I won't sacrifice education for money this time.

I have a photography business on the side I'm trying to develop, but I'm not making a lot. Photography is my passion. I've tried getting on with other companies and getting business for myself but my market is not very big and even with traveling, I've not had much luck. It's picking up now though and I'm trying to stay on top of it. I did make a contact last Saturday that I'm waiting to hear back from that might have me in a photography job.

A little background:
    I was in a terrible school that wasn't doing me any favors. I got on in the IT department at my current employer and quit. I ended up making nearly $30 an hour. The sequester hit and instead of getting furlough days like the government, I got laid off with 250+ others in the contract. I got hired back, but they axed the internal IT department and I got stuck in the warehouse shuffling papers and making about half as much. Due to owning a car and motorcycle that I could comfortably afford and put money away, I'm barely paying bills now, so I can't just quit and working for less would have collections calling.

I am in the process of selling the car and the motorcycle will be paid off soon. If worse comes to worse, I will be able to quit within a year once the vehicles are not over my head anymore and I'll get a part time job or something else.

Believe me, I know money isn't everything but when you have financial obligations and can't afford to quit a job, you become a slave to it. :confused:

21. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Saying you're board in our work place usually ends up with the individual being told to vacuum the floors, clean the bathroom and empty the bins.

22. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Best advice I was given by another musician is if you hate your normal job or have periods of boredom adopt the attitude of changing your job every year or two, ever since the trend of outsourcing and zero employee loyalty to workplaces its quite normal to job hop. In the business world most CEOs are bean counters, employees can be fired for a short term boost of cost vs profit margins and shareholders/private ownership/private investors are more important. An old friend of mine was given two years of pay to quit his IT job at a well known company, downside was the terms required not working for another competitor for 12 months.

Since I spent my younger years in a writing/editor position during the dotcom boom era, I learned to take chances at job offers and be willing to chat with job recruiters even in periods I'm not planning to job hop. One tip of advice is make sure your job never involved signing any non-compete agreement, some work fields have this to prevent job churn or employee poaching. In the media business 6-12 month non-compete contracts are common.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is what you do:

1. Drink more coffee

2. Post on macrumors

3. Drink even more coffee

Repeat these activities until work is over.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You're every bosses dream aren't you!:)

25. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I REALLY wish I had time to be bored. I don't have time to go to the toilet most days lol