Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bikashtewari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am about to make a big purchase at apple.

1(one) MacBook Pro(13in base model)/(or what do you suggest? I just want it last long. I just have basic computer needs.

1(one) iPad 2(base model for 3G and wifi, 3G requirement necessary)

1 (one) iPhone 4 16 GB

3(three) iPod touch 8GB

And a dock and keyboard for iPad 2

If I go for student option, I can get 1 iPod touch for free.
There is nothing else I can think and I don't have any idea about where to get coupons or the promo code and how to use it.
I am in toronto right now.

You concern will be helpful.
Thanks
Bikash

bikashtewari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Ok guys. That shouldn concern you. I am here looking for genuine solutions. Let's stick to the topic. It is really important.

bikashtewari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
And for th MacBook my priority is long lasting. In terms of technology, design, etc.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
A macbook would last a pretty long time in terms of basic computing (I'm thinking youtube, facebook and occasionally word documents) I think you'd be more likely that the battery won't be able to hold much charge before you notice that using it is unbearable in those circumstances.
Also with buying all the other stuff maybe you could try and get an employee at the store to throw in a little bit of discount for the volume of items you're buying or maybe apple care/ free cases?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Ok guys. That shouldn concern you. I am here looking for genuine solutions. Let's stick to the topic. It is really important.

You brought it up - either you wanted some feedback on it, or your goal was simply to gloat about how much money you were going to spend on Apple gadgets. Either it's relevant, or it isn't.

That being said, since you asked for buying advice - if it were me, I'd buy a MacBook (not Pro) and the iPhone.

My reasoning is that, as others have said, a MacBook is very suitable for basic computing and even much more. I have a 4 1/2 year old MacBook that's still running great, has good battery life, and does just about everything I would want except play 3D Windows games.

My thoughts on an iPad are that, since I have a notebook computer, I don't need an iPad - I also don't see an iPad having the longevity of a MacBook (simply updating the OS on my old iPhone made it unusably slow; I can see that happening to an iPad down the road), and an iPad simply isn't as versatile as a "real" computer for my needs.

I also wouldn't buy an iPod Touch (let alone three) if I had an iPhone. The Touch doesn't do anything the iPhone doesn't do.

And for th MacBook my priority is long lasting. In terms of technology, design, etc.

I think you won't have any problems. Like I said, mine is quite old and I have no need or plans to replace it anytime soon, because it still works just fine.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You're wasting your money buying all of that. As others have said, you don't really need extra iPod touches if you're getting an iPhone. Depending on your uses you can probably get by without the Macbook if you insist on getting an iPad.

I don't see how this is a meaningful statement at all. "long lasting... in terms of technology, design, etc." is vague and subjective. I know people still using iBook G4s who get by perfectly well because it suits their requirements.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
1) MBP 15", iPad (refurb original), iPhone 4
2) MBA 11", External Mointor, iPhone 4
3) MBA 11", iPad 2 (refurb), iPhone 4

This is what I say you should. I would personally go for option 2 unless you want to see your bank account go into the negatives. :rolleyes:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Who is to say that the OP will be using the iPhone and 3x iPod Touches for himself? :confused:

The white MacBook will be perfectly fine for you, but I still recommend going with the MBP (the one you listed in the OP is fine). It comes with more RAM, a bigger HD, a backlight keyboard, a better processor, aluminum enclosure, etc. Seems worth the price difference to me if you plan to keep it for a while.

radinojr

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
If I go for student option, I can get 1 iPod touch for free.
There is nothing else I can think and I don't have any idea about where to get coupons or the promo code and how to use it.
I am in toronto right now.

The free iPod Touch is a rebate promotion that apple usually starts up around May and lasts until Aug/Sept. So you will need to wait until the Back to School promotion starts back up to take advantage of that. What you do is pay for the ipod up front and they refund up to $199 on any new ipod. After you receive both the iPod and CPU then send in a mail-in rebate with the invoice and barcodes from each box. The rebate check then takes about 30 days to receive in the mail. Also this promotion will stack with the Printer rebate they have if you wanted $100 back on any printer( which they have 2 models at 99.95 that would basically be free).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.