Really hard decision... MacBook + Gaming PC or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Mar 29, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Alright, so as some of you know from my other thread I'm debating whether to stay with my iMac or return it and get a MacBook, then use the remaining money to get:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4GB DDR2-1066 RAM
    ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    700GB 7200RPM SATA HD

I can get all that (MacBook + Gaming PC) for the same price as my iMac. I'm just not sure... I really like my iMac for now, and I've been switching computers a lot for the last 6 months. (iMac > MacBook > iMac > MacBook Pro > mac pro > iMac) What do you guys think? Also, I was going to get an Apple Cinema Display 20" and put all the components in a Mac Pro case.

The reasons I might want to do this is because 1) I can get the same specs as my iMac plus a totally awesome MacBook for the same price as the iMac, and 2) the graphics card in the iMac is, frankly, horrible. I play games, not a lot, but the ones I do I play a lot, and they are horrible with the GT 120. Also, I'll be doing more GPU- intensive video projects in the coming months, so the HD 4870 would be better for me.

But, what do you guys think? Should I do this? I am planning on, if I do this, using the MacBook as my main computer until I can get the other computer sorted out, parts coming in, then I have to put it all in a Mac Pro case. :D Then I'd probably use the MacBook as a secondary/media computer hooked up to my TV running Boxee, or use it as my main computer and just have the Mac Pro/PC hybrid only for games and really intensive video editing.

So, what should I do? Has anyone else been in this situation?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like a fine idea to me (Macbook + PC) for the reasons you describe, but you're wasting your money on the ACD. Get a monitor from Dell or something- same quality, lower price.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I had an iMac and while it was a great, beautiful machine I built a Hackintosh and haven't looked back.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I was going to get an ACD off eBay for $220, which is a very good price.

5. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

jesus, why would you want to keep spending money on computers?

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Exactly my thoughts, too.

Macworld often thinks displays from other companies are anywhere from somewhat better to way better than apple displays/monitors. I have watched reviews on this for at least 10 years.

Some displays are just as good, cheaper, and often have better adjustability. I am usually no huge fan of Dell, though I know they make many fine products, but their monitors have pretty decent reviews. Same with Samsung and HP.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

On the one hand, it sounds like the gaming PC + macbook would suit you better than the imac. On the other hand, it sounds like you're really indecisive and don't know what you want. I mean, my friends and family laugh at me for always wanting to upgrade computers, but that's like once a year - you're changing every month!

So I've got to wonder - are you really going to be happy with this new setup you have planned? Or will you convince yourself to go for something else in a month? It just seems to me that at some point you have to try to be satisfied with what you have or else you're going to drive yourself crazy (and broke).

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, I know, that's my problem. I'm not sure why I do that. It's weird. I can't even explain why I do it. I hate that I do it, too. This is the reason I think this would be a good thing to do. When I went to get my iMac I have right now I went in the store, and the one I wanted to get was too much $, but instead of waiting and getting the one I really wanted I got the cheaper one. I did the same thing going from my original iMac of 2 years. I was going to get another iMac, but instead got just a MacBook on the spot, which was horrible for what I was doing.

That's the thing: Every time I've done this, I convince myself that the next setup will be the best one to have, and when I get it, I like it, but I regret/miss what I had, and then I see other people's pictures, even people mentioning that they have my previous computer, and it makes me want to go back. So I do. And that's how it happens each time. I hate it.

I'm sure that if I do this, the MacBook + PC would be a great setup for me, but I know that eventually I will begin to miss my iMac and go through the whole process again. On the other hand, it really feels like to me that if I do this it could benifit me in my work, which is important, and also in my gaming, which is also "important" :p

So, I don't know. What do you guys think I should do?

9. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I need to know what you guys think I should do; I have to go to the Apple store today if I'm going to do this.

I've been thinking about it more... Not sure if this is just me convincing myself, but I'm thinking that the MacBook + PC might be better in the long run... more upgradeability, etc. But then I think about keeping my iMac, and I just can't decide. Like I said before, there's that really stupid thing I do, I look at a picture of, say a MacBook Pro in the setups thread, and I'll think to myself, Hmm, I want a MacBook Pro. Or I'll look at a picture of a Mac Pro and think, I really miss my Mac Pro (I haven't done this - yet), and then I'll want one all over again.

I can tell the same thing will happen with the iMac. There would be no valid reason for me to want it, it would be for some stupid reason like "It looks good on my desk" or "It looks cool" or something really stupid like that. Then I can't get the idea of getting it back out of my head, and I do it. Then, repeat that process about once every 2 months and there's my problem. The thing is, I think that switching to a MacBook + PC is actually a sensible choice for my needs, but I know I'm going to probably do something stupid like screw it all up by getting another one of my previous computers in a few months. So, I just need to know what you guys think. Please.

10. Jpoon macrumors 6502

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

There was a time in 1999 when I wanted to try out stuff so I got a used Power Mac clone, new iBook, used PC self built towers with Windows 95 and 98, and a new PC laptop. I eventually found I liked desktops more than laptops, and Macs better than PCs.

This was an expensive lesson and a short techie crazed stage. But I found out what I needed vs. what I wanted, and what I didn't find useful, but rather annoying.

Today I use a Mac mini mostly for going online with the iBook as the backup for non internet stuff like word processing and light graphics. I would want a Mac Pro with a 17" inch unibody Macbook Pro, but it would be a want and not a need. The PC side is something I don't want nor need outside of a netbook.

12. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Ahh. I see you have the exact same thing I might do. How is it for you? Do you like/mind having a PC as well as a MacBook?

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Anyway, I'd get the MacBook + PC. The MacBook will not be obsolete in the near future for anything other than gaming, so you can continue using it for years. The PC is cheaper to upgrade later.
    But it's not very good for gaming. An ACD that's $220 is $220 for a reason. It's probably quite old by now, and the backlight, when new, was fairly bright (270 nits, I believe), but surely it's below 200 nits by now. Think about the dimming that would have happened for an old LCD. I just don't see the point of buying used if you don't need to.

Also, the response time of the LCD panels used in the ACD are slower than the S-IPS monitors offered by Dell, and the HP one.

14. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, then I was thinking about getting a Dell monitor... I just really love the look of the ACD. I wish the new LED ACD was cheaper and worked with a regular PC.

15. AluminumMB macrumors regular

16. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Get an Imac with a 4850.

$150 option above the cost of your iMac afaik.

Might even be able to hack your imac with a 4850 down the road.

17. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

That's what I'm doing. Getting a MacBook and building a Hackintosh as well.
    I can't do that. I don't have enough money for that and I won't have enough for a while. I would love to do that but it's way too expensive.

18. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, right now I'm leaning towards MacBook + PC. What do you guys think? Please let me know, if I do this I'll have to do it in the next 2 hours. Apple store closes then, and tomorrow my return period is gone.

19. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Go for it!

20. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I was in the exact same pickle you are in now, except my game playing has drifted off to almost nothing. I decided that I will buy a netbook and put OS X on it, and if a game comes out that I want to play, I will build a new hackintosh to dual boot. Didn't buy a macbook due to price.

I have tried osx86 on my current rig, but I always get too update-happy and end up breaking it. Will probably look into reinstalling soon.

I think a macbook+hackintosh will be great for you. I would only worry about syncing the two if I were doing it.

21. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Well?! What did you do?

22. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I have decided to keep my iMac, for a little while at least. I know I will try to convince myself to get something else a month from now, but I'm going to try and stay with the iMac.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

If this is where you stopped at, it's not a bad decision, and neither was the other one. There are tons of computer users out there who are using XP or Vista with little or no virus protection, and are used to issues they have decided to simply live with. Many of these users have no idea how much easier Macs are to use and how much more stable they are.

You are in a win-win situation between using one machine running OS X and two running OS X on two machines. And both of course can dual boot with Windows.

Fooling around like this with different Macs and PC hackintoshes is a good way to teach yourself to become a technician someday if you want. It pays better than almost any job out there per hour outside of having to go to university for 7 or 8 years (MD, Attorney, Dentist, and CPA...degree plus many hours and experience usually required on top of that). The vast majority of technicians I have met in Silicon Valley did what you did being self taught. They moved into being bench techs and making 50+K a year before they could legally drink, up to making crazy money as Cisco technicians. The ones who struck out on their own charge three digit hourly fees for their services.

Don't let anybody dissuade you from buying and trying out a lot of Macs. Before you know it, relatives will ask you to work on their machines for free, or maybe pay you a little, neighbors will pay you a little more, then a company will hire you at twenty an hour or more, and you may find yourself charging $100 an hour working for yourself and have to turn back customers due to high demand.

Do that and you won't have to choose which Mac to go with (or PCs), since you will be able to afford them all, and more importantly, learn how to tinker and repair and thus increase your skill set. Add that with either a tech certification like A+ or Network+, tech related degree from CS to EL to EE, or both and you are basically set for life with a livelihood.

24. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin