Really having a hard time keeping my macbook. Help convince me not to return it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulweaponry, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Soulweaponry, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Update: I'm back to mac! My update on page 2

My response and my thanks to everyone at the bottom of this thread

So, my transition from pc to mac has been a little rough around the edges. Through this process, i didn't just convert. I went all the way. A couple weeks ago i had a windows 7 laptop and an android phone and decided after a long night of watching youtube videos about the iphone and getting caught up in the hype, i decided to sell my android and switch to iphone. I've been loving my iphone so much and the simplicity/smoothness compared to my windows pc, that it made me think a macbook would be a good switch too.

So i went out and bought a mac and ahhhhh! Little things get to me. First: hearing people talk about how simple it is while having to relearn almost everything almost seems contradictory. From gestures to right clicking to dragging to new screens to what files aren't compatible with mac. I'd pull my hair out if i had any.

I'm hoping someone can clear a couple things up for me:

1) apparently, mts files from my hd camcorder aren't compatible with mac. At all. I can't even view this stuff let alone edit it. Am i missing something or do i really have to go through all the trouble of converting EVERYTHING just to view and edit stuff?

2) I thought i was going to like iPhoto alot more than i do. It seems to be great at doing a couple basic things like redeye removal and such, but if i just want to add pictures from my iphone to an existing folder, it won't show up in iPhoto. I have to manually import everything. And i could set it to where things import directly to iphoto, but then everything would be separated into "events" and i want all my iphone stuff in one folder. If i just want to view 5 new pics i took with my phone, i don't want an entire event created for it. What are the benefits of iphoto that would make me like it more?

3) and on photos, when i connect my iphone it doesn't show up as a drive like on pc to drag and drop files. I (think) i only have the option to import through image capture and when i imported everything over to a folder, i can click on the pictures and see them bigger. But i can't scroll through them. Is this not possible without iphoto?

4) imovie was the biggest letdown. Besides not being able to edit my own stuff because of the mts issue, everything is in this storyboard-like view that bundles everything together into one thing. I can't just look at the audio or the effects or add extra video overlays and the picture in picture options are about as limited as you can get. I couldn't even place text where i wanted to. What's up with that? My $40 video editing software on pc was better than this. Isn't this what mac users brag about when talking about the higher price tag? "but it already has amazing software on it to justify the price". Yeah. Even windows movie maker could let me move my text and put it where i wanted it.

If i wanted to edit video on the macbook, could i put windows on it and use my pc editing software? Is that easy to do for a newbie? Like if i wanted to browse the web or manage pictures/music i'm on the osx side. But if i want to edit video, i use windows on the macbook? Do i have to buy a copy of windows 7 to do this?

5) my macbook gets pretty hot when it's only been on my lap for 20 minutes. As much as i love the design and build quality, this is a little bit of a dealbreaker. The lenovo laptop i got for my girlfriend runs cool when it's been on the bed for an hour. Why the difference? Or is mine just defective?

Lastly, why is mac any better than pc? So far, i just don't see it. And i've been googling the crap out of this trying to decide why my expensive laptop is better than a pc thats half the price. There might be something i don't see. I don't know. The only answers i've seen are:

macs don't get viruses (neither have my pcs. I've literally never had a virus and i check for those often)

macs are simpler and more user friendly: then again, how hard is a pc to use? Want to look at your pictures? Press start and click on the "pictures" folder. Want to go on the internet? Click the browser. What's complicated?

macs include better software out of the box: imovie was a huge letdown. I assumed since people talked about how good iphoto was, it was more like paintshop pro than a simple image viewer (though there could be something i'm missing) the email program doesn't seem to be any better than outlook or anything else, of which there are a ton of free email apps for the pc. And safari is just like any other browser. Best software on here is itunes and that's also on the pc.

I love the build quality, i love the support i'll probably get from apple (even though hp has given me great support in the past and their warranty covers accidental damage for cheaper whereas apples only cover defects) and i like the "cloud" it comes with.

What am i missing that makes mac better? So far to me in my short time with mac, nothing seems to be "better" so much as "different" and entirely "user preference". The more i google articles about why mac is better the more i'm like "...that's not better. That's preference!"

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't know what to do on the imovie issue. Macs do get pretty hot. They went with a relatively slim design on both laptop designs with an aluminum enclosure which does conduct quite a bit of heat,although it's not a significant portion of the heat dissipation of the computer. That concept has been debunked on the forum in the past. Apple historically was ahead in a lot of areas involving publishing, video editing, and image creation at a professional level. A number of applications and features made it to the Mac first which allowed them to maintain a somewhat self perpetuating market there.

Their recent gains seem to have revolved more around consumers who enjoyed their idevices. Teenagers especially get ipods/iphones. When they go away to college they ask for a Mac. While that's fine, I think things have gotten overly hyped. They are not problem free. They have their own quirks. "Some" things run better under OSX. Vista definitely seemed to drive a number of people away from Windows, but Windows 7 aside from a few really annoying things isn't actually bad. There are things that annoy me with each, but having been on OSX for so long, I have settings and things worked out so most stuff is fairly predictable.

Regarding your purchase, there are some things in your post where others may have suggestions, but in the end if you still don't like it, you should return it. There's no reason to spend that kind of money on something you dislike. I've tried to get used to products before. Typically it doesn't end well even after I've figured out all of the details.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

4. tarponbeach, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

tarponbeach macrumors member

My situation is almost identical to yours. I've been a PC user since the days of MS-DOS. The only Apple product that I've ever owned was an Apple III in 1980, which back then was about $6,000.00. Shortly after I purchased it, Apple discontinued it, and they sent me an Apple II emulation disk, to make the III run in 40 column mode, just like a $2,000.00 Apple II. That experience pretty much soured me on Apple for a lot of years.

Everyone in my family are Apple fans, and like you, I never really understood why....until I bought my wife an iMac last Christmas. As I set it up, I was impressed with just how well everything seemed to work. The design and build quality was, IMHO, far superior to any Windows machine I'd ever used, and the OS and software just seemed superior as well.

After using her iMac, I decided to try a MacBook Pro for my portable needs. I bought the 13" about two weeks ago, and could not be happier. I still use Windows at the office, an Android Galaxy Nexus phone, and an Android Toshiba Thrive tablet. I have no plans on acquiring an Apple desktop, Phone, or iPad. For my needs and use, Android is a better fit than Apple.

With regard to your concerns, all of the following comments are my humble opinions, and your experience will probably vary.

The learning curve from PC to MAC, for me was not terrible. The trackpad gestures were the biggest challenge, but now that I understand how to move around, the logic makes perfect sense, and I'm a lot more productive than I ever was on a PC.

1: Can't address your HD video concerns, as I don't have a need to import raw camcorder footage.

2: In my experience, any software that comes bundled with an OS is not the best. iPhoto is a good program, but if you really want a Photoshop-like experience, try Gimp. It's open source, and free.

3: iCloud. Since you switched over to the iPhone, enable iCloud and any photos on your phone will be pushed to your MacBook. No need to connect the iPhone to the Mac.

4: For video editing, Final Cut Pro, in the App. Store. Expensive, but from what I've seen produced by friends, it is worth it. Another option would be to use Bootcamp to install Windows along side of OS X, which would allow you to run Pinnacle editing software. If you need to run both OS's at will, without rebooting, get Parallels in the App. store, which lets you switch back and forth between OS X & Windows, without rebooting.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. Gomff, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

Gomff macrumors 6502a

Without wishing to sound rude or abrupt to the OP, if you're not happy with your Macbook and it's still within 14 days of the purchase date, just return it.

Macs aren't for everyone and if you'd prefer a Lenovo & Windows 7 combination, then perhaps that's what you should do.

No rational person on these forums is really going to get emotionally invested in someone else's choices when it comes to Laptop purchasing decisions.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Macs are not for everyone.

It's no different than any other transition.

Just like trying an Android out, many people simply don't have the desire to learn something new. Worse, they blame it on the device instead of looking in the mirror at the real problem.

A Mac is not like a PC, and an Android is not like an iPhone.

While this may seem obvious to some, others just don't get it.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'll echo this sentiment. If you're not happy with the purchase, by all means return it.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The internet kills decision-making skills.

Go return it. The cost of the the laptop is way too high to sit around feeling bad about your purchase.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If you're not happy, then return it. But, maybe if you wait past the return period, then you can't do anything except learn to love it :)

10. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

As others have mentioned, there's no reason you can't just go return it. Apple's got a great, no penalty return policy. No harm, no foul.

However, what you're experiencing could simply be standard buyer's remorse. Buy something you've managed to psyche yourself up about. Get the initial high. Come down from initial high and say whaaaaat have I done. Start coming up with things that probably aren't a big deal but you convince yourself are "Deal breakers" so you can go back.

I do it all the time. And it's not really a big deal, but you should try and be objective in order to identify it. Macs are great, but like most things, take some getting used to, especially after a lifetime of windows.

1. Download VLC to play your camcorder files. Free program for mac and windows.

2. It's not really meant to be a photoshop alternative. You can move the pictures you import to whatever folder you'd like.

4. Well, a $40 program should be better than a free program. iMovie is pretty powerful, but has a bit of a learning curve (sense a trend?).

5. They do get hot. There isn't any real danger. Personally, I like having a lap warmer but I live in MN so it's probably a bit different ;).

The bottom line is that Macs are popular and continue to gain ground in a diminishing market for a reason. If you take some more time to acclimate yourself with it and learn some of the ins and outs, you may end up loving it. Or not. If you really feel like you've made a mistake, the easiest thing to do would be to simply return it and go about your life.

Best of luck with your decision.

11. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I don't even have to read your post to tell you just to keep using it and get familiar with it. I came from using PC's and at first I wanted to throw my MBP at a wall, but now I love it and will never go back. If you have windows specific programs or games, you can install windows on it as well. Don't give up.

12. JacaByte macrumors 6502

3. Apparently Image Capture works for a few photos and is a core application to OS X. It seems to have issues with large amounts of images however, so iCloud might be the best solution.

4. I agree with you, iMovie stinks. Unless you make a living editing movies and would get your money's worth out of Final Cut Pro, I would browse around on the App Store for a suitable video editor that's cheaper than FCP and has fewer quirks than iMovie.

5. Yeah, the Macbook Pros get hot, but as long as you're smart about what you have running while you have it on your lap it shouldn't cook you. (e.g. Think single tasking, using programs like Safari that aren't processor intensive to get your work done.)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It sounds like you're comfortable with Windows, there is no reason to keep the Mac. I would return it.

I think would many people who switch and like OS X are people who are sick of Windows in one way or another. My parents would two of those people.

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Computers are tools; software-wise, one is not inherently better at everything than another.

If you're intent on switching to Macs, I'll give a tip. When I made the switch (received a Macbook Pro as a gift), Parallels came with it (later switched to VMWare Fusion). If you're not familiar with either, they're virtualization software that allows you to run Windows as if it were just another application. For the first two or so weeks, even though I was using the Mac, I was doing practically everything inside of virtualized Windows. All of my software was Windows-based, and I felt more comfortable navigating through and working with Windows. Gradually, I found replacement software on the Mac, and I learned to use the Mac side more easily. I think that after about one month I was only running Windows through Parallels a few times a week, and by the end of my first year with the Mac, I was only accessing Windows fairly rarely. Now about five years down the road, I don't think I use Windows even once a month.

The point is that virtualization allows you to quickly and easily access Windows whenever you need. When you're still getting adjusted to the Mac and its software, that allows you to hit Windows whenever you really need to get stuff done, so that you can slowly get accustomed to the Mac side when you have the time to do so.

But at the end of the day, there's no need to force yourself.

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

First Thing: RETURN IT FOR REFUND

Second Thing: This is what you should have done FIRST. Research what it will take to get the Macbook Pro to do what you want.

This means a visit to the Apple Store to speak with personnel BEFORE you make such a large purchase.

Movie file compatibility issues can be simple or complex, depending on the camera manufacturer and what format they decide to use. There are too many manufacturers and equally too many codecs to expect Apple or even Microsoft to keep up. Even the simple RAW file format used in DSLR's isn't simple. When a new camera comes out the format can change and Apple/Microsoft have to play catch up with compatibility.

EDIT: I learned long ago to avoid movie file compatibility issues by sticking with DV tape based camcorders, but sadly they are not so easily available on the consumer market like they once were.

16. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

The learning curve for the Mac was pretty high for me. Like you, I am an avid PC user and all of my work and programs are done through PC. While I've had my sour experiences with Vista, I'm perfectly happy and content with Windows 7. With that said, the Mac is just a different experience altogether and as you've mentioned, it's all preference. At this point, I've used enough Mac's to know what I'm in for by the time I get my Macbook Pro.

For me, the benefit of owning a Mac, despite its difference to PC's and the learning curve I'll still have to master, outweighs the cost and sacrifice of giving up PC's. It sounds like the same cannot be said for you my friend.

Now, there's always the alternative of installing Windows on your Macbook. I don't know the technical process of doing it and what ramifications it might hold but the choice is always there for you. Personally, I plan on doing it because there are just some programs that doesn't have a Mac equivalent and plus games run better.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Return it.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? They usually have all sorts of events and lectures and stuff like that going on that teach how and what you can do with a Mac and with Apple software.
    Even if Macs and Apple software is easier to use (which might not always be true), nothing can replace many years of experience with a different OS. You will have to relearn some stuff, and if you're not willing to do that, then it's probably better to stick to windows.

Concerning your points:
    1-4: Not much to say from my side - things are organized a bit different on the mac, and as said above, there's a learning curve. You can install windows, however at that point you might as well buy a windows machine.

5: Yes, they get hot on the exterior. If that's a deal breaker, then you have to return it and buy some other machine. What CPU does the Lenovo have by the way?

18. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    It sounds like you really didn't want to spend this much on a new laptop, in that case return it and get a pc.

Other wise, perhaps take some time to actually learn how to use the software and hardware.

19. camardelle macrumors 6502

:apple:I wish I'd sprung for the classes when I got my iMac. I just picked up a mbp a not long ago and feel much more confident with it. Give it some time and you'll love it. I've really enjoyed getting to know mine. :apple:

20. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I remember years ago when I switched to a G4 iMac from a PC and I hated. But after awhile I got used to it and now I'm Apple hooked, once you learn how to use it it just seems so right. I'd say stick with it, play with it more and look up youtube videos about how to use it. If your wanting to make Videos and such you should look into buy pro programs.

21. manticore999 macrumors member

I'll add my voice to the 'keep plugging away it' group. I got my first macbook right before Christmas and have really enjoyed it so far. Love the gestures on the track pad, and find myself trying to use them on my Window machines. That said, software is the deal breaker. If you can't find what you need in the mac world then you need to switch back, for sure.

Btw, the only thing that bothers me about the mac is that there are some 'gotchas' that I don't have to deal with in the Windows world. I live on a boat in a marina, and use their wifi. I just can't get my mac to connect to thier dlink router. It's a known problem iwht macs and dlink and the work-arounds don't work for me. Also, I'd like to use the usb port on the router to attach an external drive to use as a wireless backup - no problem for Windows pcs but there's no mac-compatible shareport driver. These kinds of issues are annoying, but just part of the mac 'experience', I guess.

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ok, I didn't make it all the way through the post, but to me it just seemed like you're trying to fight the way OS X works too much.

Yes, you'll need to convert your camcorder files. As for iPhoto, just let it import your pictures however it wants. You'll find a new way to organise your pictures within iPhoto once they're imported. Same goes for iTunes, by the way - some of my fellow Windows converts tried to battle iTunes and keep their music arranged in folders as they always had in the past. Just let the Apple stuff organise your media how it wants to, you'll benefit from the simplicity in the long run.

My 15" MBP doesn't get 'hot' provided the dedicated graphics aren't engaged. Click the  > About This Mac > More Info. If it says Intel graphics, you should be cool, If it says AMD, well, then you're toasty - it means one of your apps is using the dedicated graphics. That only applies to the 15/17" models.

When I switched, I just gave in to it all. I let OS X do things how it wanted, and I learnt how to best switch between apps and do the things I wanted in the way that Apple intended.

If that's not for you, then yes, consider returning. However, like most OSs you can customise OS X pretty heavily if you want to. So many people in my circles have switched now... I really don't think you'll get a better experience in the Windows world if you invest the time and effort in your new Mac.

23. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

Firstly, i just want to say thanks to everyone that replied. There wasn't a single reply that i felt wasn't helpful. Every single one of you guys helped me with my decision and i can't thank you enough for it.

This pretty much sums it up

I never had any problems with windows. It's never crashed on me, i've never gotten any viruses and i actually like the UI. So coming from something i didn't have any issues with and switching over to something completely new i have to relearn, well...it was like a culture shock.

I was just lured in. The "halo effect" analysts talk about is totally true. Once someone buys an iphone and loves it, they think about what a mac would be like too. Aside from the overheating issue, the macbook i had had the best build quality of any laptop i've ever seen. EVER. It felt just right when i picked it up or typed on it and man...i already miss it. Just for that alone. Going to best buy afterwards and looking around at their ugly windows laptops made me appreciate the beauty of the macbook even more. But, i tried it and worked real hard to like it and work out the issues i had with it and it's just not for me. I returned it and will use the money towards a high end laptop on the windows side.

As far as i can see, my initial gut feeling was right. There's no clear winner in terms of who's better between osx and windows. They're both amazing and have their pros and cons and it really just depends on the person and what they want out of it. I don't think the super vocal mac users are helping either with their "all windows machines get viruses and suck". Trashing anybody is bad for your image. I wish we could all just agree that we like what we like without arguing over this crap.

Anyway, thanks again people!

24. david252, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

david252 macrumors newbie

Stick with it

I have had PC's for years. My first windows OS was in 1992 & was, I seem to remember, Windows 3.1. After years of persevering with them I eventually got fed up with all the time I was spending trying to get them to work without slowing down (and at times crashing) that I swapped to an iMac 27" 2 years ago and have not regretted it in the slightest. Windows vs Mac - everything is slower & clunkier & takes ages to do on windows and the more programmes you add, the worse it gets. Just as a quick example (I could quote lots and lots more but won't at the risk of sounding like an apple fanboy) - installing or deleting programs usually entails a reboot on windows whereas installing apps never does on Mac - just drag & drop them into app folder & voila!

The main point is - stick with it you won't regret it in the longer term, once you've gone through the initial learning curve.

How are you trying to import video files? Hook camcorder up to Mac via either USB (if it's on SD card) or firewire if tape & you should be able to directly import them into iMovie, which is one of the easiest, most intuitive video editing pieces of software at this price that I have seen. It let's you do most of the things you are saying it can't - I think the "storyboard" you are talking about is the unedited video frames. You need to create a project and drag and drop your selected frames into it & then edit 'til your heart's content. I think you probably need to spend a little more time on your learning curve but suspect that maybe you won't because are already regretting your expensive purchase. If you are really serious with video editing then final cut pro will give you a lot more flexibility (but v expensive).

iPhoto is OK but a basic photo editor. Aperture is a professional editing app & available from app store now for I think around £20 (already have it installed so won't tell me price now)

Bottom line (IMHO) - if you can afford the Mac, keep it. If it's stretching your budget and there are other priorities in your life then take it back and get a refund. Guess I'm probably too late looking at the date of this initial post!