Really Liking my G3 iBook 600 MHz PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Just want to take a minute to say thanks to everybody here who contributed to my re-learning on the Mac experience after 15 years. Interesting how I remember certain little things about how to navigate the system. Like muscle memory i guess. I have been using this as a daily driver along with my phone for everything I need lately. Love Mail! Garageband is working fine for my modest needs, iTunes is handling my music off an external Firewire drive along with Garageband projects. Tenfourfox is working better (thanks to the F.A.Q. for that). I'm very happy so far!

I still have questions about security and compatibility with certain websites and services and such. I'm sure I'll patch those issues up eventually.

Thank you Everybody!
    Kirk

2. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Glad you are enjoying your iBook. You should give OS 9 and Classilla a try. You would be surprised how much speedier this machine is in OS 9 compared to OS X.

3. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Glad you're liking it! Muscle memory is definitely a real thing for using older systems. And it goes both ways! Sometimes I try to do the "natural scrolling" while using an older iBook or PowerBook, then remember it's not like that until later OSs. :)

Does your iBook have a stinky keyboard?

4. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Stinky? Nope. I heard about that though. I do have one issue. It's where the keyboard tab is broken top center. So the board kinda floats a little in that area . Thinking about putting a dot of glue there

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Paging @Hack5190, paging @Hack5190! :D

6. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

I know where to find those guides . I have some free time this week to devote to that subject.

Basically though, is it reasonable to assume I can (allowing for trade-offs) to pay bills and make purchases with tenfourfox?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I make it a point to do it on my PowerPC Macs, usually using T4Fx so yes that is totally doable.

My post was semi-tongue-in cheek. Hack's day job is in internet/online security. :)

8. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

You called :) ?

@Kirk Boragine I'd recommend you start by reading my posts in the FAQ thread here. If you still have specific questions just ask.

9. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Thanks! That was the plan

10. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

On the Titanium PowerBook G4, they actually used very small and paper-thin magnets to keep the keyboard attached to the top case, along with the latches, to keep it flat against the case, so maybe that would work for you. Only problem with gluing it is that if you need to swap ram or AP card or whatever, you're going to have a hard time opening it up because of the glue and likely would break something by accident. If you do go with magnets, be sure not to put any by the hard drive ;)

11. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

I did notice a small magnet that had broken loose from it's plastic on the bottom of the keyboard. It was lying on the inside case. Not knowing what it was I just positioned it and left it there. Now that I know what it is I'll glue that back to the underneath of the keyboard. If I end up gluing, I'll make sure and just use a small dot. My RAM is maxed and Airport works fine. I was thinking the same things as you except for the magnet. Thanks for that!