All iPads Really need a screen protector??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JoeRito, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

If you have a nice case do you really need a screen protector, ie a film of plastic to prevent scratches? Do you use a screen protector? I bought one for my new iPad Air and it was impossible to put on...bubbles, etc... Waste of $35. It was the Zagg film and required liquid solution to apply.

2. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

DO NOT get a screen protector for any of your iDevices. Worthless and they diminish the experience.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I'm starting to get away from them too, but I wouldn't get Zagg anyway. I buy them for $4 each or so on Amazon. I think I may just keep my Air naked though.

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I never have one on my Ipad. I just use good cover, get an expensive book case and u will be fine.

I used to put one on my iphone and it ruin touch experience.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I just put cheap screen protector on my iPad anyway I don't like scratches even I am very careful with it. :apple:

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got a "screen protector" only because I wanted the back piece. Otherwise it's a waste of the smooth glide if the glass experience. I do want to protect the aluminum from scuffs and scratches. Though I lose that brushed aluminum feel.

7. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Once Steve Jobs said: 'Why would you cover this beautiful device with a cheap plastic"

8. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I used a Smart Cover and my iPad 3 rarely left the couch... Still ended up with small scratches after about a year, so I'm using one this time around.

9. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Don't need screen protectors especially for an iPad. Unless you are a girl with lots of diamonds or a construction worker...

From my experience when it comes to resale a year from now, you get pretty much the same price selling on craigslist whether it is hairline scratched or mint condition. You will NOT recover the cost of screen protector and it degrades the experience.

Why protect when it's safe to go naked :)

10. enjoimorenow macrumors newbie

I personally use skinomi skin protectors, they are great, can't tell they are even there and offer awesome protection from scratches.

The ones that come with liquid to apply are the easiest, and if you had air bubbles it honestly means you did it wrong. First, clean the device and have a clean work area. Next, you spray the liquid onto your fingers to prevent fingerprints. Then you spray the front of the screen protector, and the back side of the screen protector. You then set the screen protector onto the device. The liquid will allow you to move the screen protector around until you get it perfectly into position. Then you use a squeegee to press out the liquid and apply the screen protector.

This is by far the easiest way to apply screen protectors, and will leave you with perfect fit and no air bubble EVERY time. There are tons of videos on youtube of how to install these, and once you see how it's done, you will realize how much better it is than a "dry" install which almost always leaves dust or air bubbles because it's very hard to position it perfectly the first time.

11. bobright macrumors 601

Power Supports do not degrade quality much now if we're talking zagg or something yeah

12. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I used PowerSupport exclusively. Still prefer naked feel.

13. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I use a protector for my iPhone because it gets subjected to more abuse, but I have never used one for my iPad.

14. Icaras, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yup. Power Support quality all the way. I'm constantly checking their Facebook and Twitter to see when their AFP Crystal Screen protector is coming out.

I have put a screen protector on all my iPhones and iPads since 2008. Will continue to do so.

15. enjoimorenow macrumors newbie

The ones that come with liquid to apply are the easiest, and if you had air bubbles it honestly means you did it wrong. First, clean the device and have a clean work area. Next, you spray the liquid onto your fingers to prevent fingerprints. Then you spray the front of the screen protector, and the back side of the screen protector. You then set the screen protector onto the device. The liquid will allow you to move the screen protector around until you get it perfectly into position. Then you use a squeegee to press out the liquid and apply the screen protector.

This is by far the easiest way to apply screen protectors, and will leave you with perfect fit and no air bubble EVERY time. There are tons of videos on youtube of how to install these, and once you see how it's done, you will realize how much better it is than a "dry" install which almost always leaves dust or air bubbles because it's very hard to position it perfectly the first time.

16. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

This.

17. N23 macrumors regular

There's plenty of inexpensive screen protectors that you won't even feel the difference.

They protect it in that rare occasion where you might get a scratch,
    but most importantly some do real well in handling finger smudges, more so than the naked screen.

18. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I've never used a screen protector on my ipad 1st gen since it was released and it still is as good as new. I use a smart case with it and wipe the screen down on occasion. I've travelled with it and used it in my car for GPS Nav. And never scratched the glass. If others are using it such as kids you may want the extra protection but I also agree it kind of ruins the experience.

I also have not used a screen protector for my iPhone 5 which is now over 1 yr. old and not a scratch on it. So really it depends on how your using it and if you're accident prone.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The iPad (1st gen) doesn't support "Smart Case" or "Smart Cover"!

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I always use my iPads with screen protectors. I know many people manage to use their iPads without ever scratching them, but I'm clumsy. Like today, I was opening a new lightning cable, and it slipped and the connector end whipped across my iPad screen. Which I had just covered with a screen protector. :p

Would that connector have scratched my screen if it had been naked? Who knows? But I like the peace of mind of not having to worry about it.

21. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

really? ...hmmm... my first iPhone was a 3G, and, afraid of dropping and scratching or breaking it, got screen protection right away. I've always done so since, mainly zagg invisible shield. ...I'm about to replace my iPad 1st gen w/iPad mini...and I used to make sure I had a screen protector on from day 1...is this just paranoia? ...I'm thinking I may just need to be extra careful until I get a case, but, no need for screen protection? ...my iPhone 5 lasted only days without screen protector, but, it did seem like I was covering part of the touchscreen experience. However, with it, it is a cell phone in my pocket and much more subject to being dropped, I would hate to drop it and have the screen break, especially out of warranty and no insurance or applecare.

:confused:

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Get a Smart Cover and forget about the screen protectors.

23. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

If you use a stylus like a Jot or anything that's not your fingers, use a screen protector for sure.

24. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I ALWAYS put screen protectors on all of my devices. I have a "splash masque" screen protector on my iPod and it is absolutely spotless. My iPad was skipped and never got a screen protector, and it is COVERED in small scratches and a couple of deeper scratches. I barely leave the house and this happens. I am getting a hand-me-down iPad 3 soon and I am putting a screen protector on it immediately, probably power support since so many people on this forum like it.

25. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This.