really nice tripod recommendation?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by backinblack875, Aug 17, 2011.

1. backinblack875, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

i know these can get real expensive(more $ than I'm willing), but I'm willing to get a nice one that won't fall apart, I'm willing to go 150-200$$

i figure that should get me a good one

(amazon link please)

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I suggest a second hand one for that money. Cheap ones wont really be strong enough for a DSLR with lens and perhaps flash gun. They'll probably hold it but limit you in how it can be positioned.

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

second hand one?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ive been very happy with my Slik tripod that I found on Amazon. That thing has taken a beating (fell down a sea cliff while I was climbing down) and is still fully functional with only a few paint scuff marks.

5. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

how much?? link?? I'm not sure if there are different models or not

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a Manfrotto that I really like. It's very versatile, for instance inverting the main section or mounting it laterally.

I also have a Manfrotto head, but can't remember what model. They make a great many - it took me a while at the store to find the right combination of tripod and head. The head takes a quick-change plate (as many do), so you can switch cameras quickly (say, still to video, or different bodies).

Price wise, I'm pretty sure the tripod and head cost around $400 - maybe more, though that was quite a few years ago and could easily have changed.

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I don't know. $150-200 is marginally enough to get a "really nice" tripod. I'd suggest saving more until you can invest in better components. It will probably end up around $200 each for a good set of legs and a good quality ballhead (so $400 total). In the meantime maybe keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one that you may be able to pick up on the cheap.

If you are at all serious about quality, tripod-based photography (like landscapes), do not skimp on the tripod. It is probably the second most important piece of equipment past the camera itself. If you cheap out you're going to either a) not use it because it doesn't perform like you want it to, thus wasting your money, or b) you will eventually upgrade to the tripod you should have bought in the first place- costing you more in the long run.

Ruahrc

8. VirtualRain, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

9. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

You don't say what camera you have. You'll need to take that into account as tripods are rated for the weight they can hold, which will be your camera and the heaviest weight lens you'll be using. Ideally, I'd make sure the tripod is rated for around double the combined weight of these. I used an old cheap tripod until I upgraded my camera when it wouldn't hold the weight steady any more. You also need to look at the height of the tripod. If you're tall and don't want to be bending over your camera, you'll need one that brings your camera up to eye-level, without extending the centre rod if possible, which makes it more unstable. There's loads of good advice on the internet about choosing a tripod if you want to investigate further.

It's usually false economy to not go for a good one in the first place, but that's not always possible. Get the best you can afford, new or second-hand, but if it leaves a little (or even a lot) to be desired, you have to know it's limitations. If you get something at the low end of the market I wouldn't recommend leaving your camera on it outdoors while you sit and have a coffee!

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

11. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Advantage

Of motorised tripods only really comes into it's own if your camera is remote controlled too....Mine are, so I can pan, zoom AND move the tripod head vertically and horizontally....Very smooth too.

The prices here are bound to be better in the US, (I have a newbie coming from a friend who is in NYC at the moment) It's roughly dollar for pound.

I don't like grey imports, but I take a chance from time to time.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, I'll be the one to bring up the old adage about tripods...

Lightweight, inexpensive, or sturdy: you can have two out of three.

As others have mentioned, the head and height of the tripod are also important. If the head starts to sag after tightening (which will happen with cheap heads right away and with mediocre ones over time), it will eventually get very irritating. The same is true if you always have to stoop over while working because your tripod is too short--you will soon tire of using the tripod. A tripod that is annoying to use or is a burden to carry will spend most of its time in a closet. A lot of people think tripods are more trouble than they're worth because they've never had one that is easy to use and carry.

Alas, few people are willing to spend as much on their tripod as they did on their camera body, which is easy to do if you've got an entry-level DSLR. So if you're like most people who become real enthusiasts, you'll end up with a closet full of abandoned tripods. I use my old tripods as light stands, but they're not even very good for that (still too fussy and often not tall enough). ::::sigh:::: :eek:

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Very True

A spirit Level is also invaluable too....I guess it's how serious you want to get and how much use you will ultimately get from the kit. I must have in excess of £4000.00 worth of camera kit, but it's in use....Buying something that sits in a box is obviously a waste of money.

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB and it is probably one of the toughest and durable tripods available. I doubt carbon fibre would last as long.

My tripod was dropped into Eagle Creek this past spring trying to get to some remote waterfalls. The tripod was in the cold (50 degrees) water for TEN days. I found it on another trip. I also hike many MANY miles with this thing. A few buddies and myself were at the remote Ruckel Creek Falls in the Columbia River Gorge this past June, and we got lost. We ended up trekking basically up animal paths to the top of Benson Plateau (3600 feet I think). I used the tripod as a walking stick to assist with balance and such.

The thing is a beast. It fell down a talus slope, maybe 200 feet. Paint missing, but no dents. It has been in the ocean for prolonged amounts of time. I regularly clean it (take it apart and wash it out), and it works more or less like new:)

I think I paid $160 for the legs. I also use a 322 RC2 head that has been along for the ride. My first 322RC2 lasted 8 years. I only sold because it was getting a bit worn out. I think those are like $120 or so. I use a 1 series Canon on it with an 85mm 1.4 mounted to it, and it is sturdy.

16. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have this one and it's an absolute tank. It's also heavy compared to what's out there for good $$$.

backinblack875: If you really want to know what you are getting into, read this thread.

Let's Talk Tripods

Dale

17. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

18. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

19. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

20. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

21. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Yes that is definitive advice. I have read that before. Great post.