Really Slow World of Warcraft!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by uzit, Jan 4, 2010.

1. uzit macrumors regular

Hey guys!

Lately the game has been running very very slow!! It takes around 90seconds to get into the game from the log in screen! When I am in Org I get around 5fps for the first few minutes I am there and then it goes stable for around 30fps. Its hell in Dalaran so I never go there! All my settings are on medium and and the machine I am running it on is a 24" iMac 3.06Ghz 2gb Ram 8800GS graphics card!

Please help!

Thanks! :D

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Dalaran is slow on everyone's machine. When I played WoW, I put it into a window when I thought I was going to Dalaran. That helps a little, but at times, it was still a slideshow. I don't know if another GB of RAM would make much difference, but some say it does. If not tried already, you can play with view distance (reduce it) and turn off anti-aliasing.

If you have good performance out and about and in dungeons, you are doing ok.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

only time wow was really slow for me is when i had a trial edition of wow and upgraded to a full version without reinstalling a fresh copy. the game would lag and crash all the time. finally i said screw it and did a full retail install and it ran perfect.

if you get alot of lags and crashes you may want to try and reinstall. i know its a pain in the you know what and it takes forver to go through all the updates but sometimes if its real bad the result is worth it.

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Apparently 3.3 did this to some people, although for me it is as fast as ever. Google it, there is a way to fix it.

5. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Would you say this started happening after installing the 3.3 patch?

If so, there is a fix, but it's a hit-or-miss. It helped some (like me, pre 3.3, I was running fine, then after 3.3, I couldn't believe I was lagging in empty places like Darnassus, but after the fix, I was back to normal) and for others, it didn't help one bit.

But this is from Fnord from a previous WoW thread.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The 3.3 patch slowed down my new 27" i7 iMac a LOT.

7. Razzerman macrumors regular

I personally wouldn't bother re-installing wow - it'll be the same. Pre 3.3, my little 2ghz C2D mini played wow very nicely, tyvm, even in dalaran. Post 3.3, frame rate has dropped from about 25fps to 8-10. Same with every big/new patch; new content & features = loss of performance, and extra lag.

Try turning down distance settings etc., that will help.

Good luck.

8. Xenious macrumors 6502a

This worked great for me. resolved my slow framerate and i'm back up into the 60s with every setting on max.

9. Zerg macrumors newbie

It's a easy fix. Upgrade your RAM. 2GB is playable but put another 2GB in your machine and you'll be MUCH happier.

For what it's worth I run WoW on my Mac Mini (2ghz, 4gb ram) and Dalaran is only laggy intially. After I'm in town for awhile, the cached textures speed things up. 2GB RAM is tough to load your entire OS, any other running apps and the game. 4GB will give you that breathing room. I see posts on the forums occasionally about how a certain patch made things slow, etc, but I've never noticed a decrease in performance with any patch, certain day, server, etc.

Best of luck!

10. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

It also could be your internet connection speeds.

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I play with two gigs, and Dalaran is laggy for 10-30 seconds, then it is fine.

12. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

as some people have said its due to the 3.3 patch.

it's not due to your hardware. They are aware of the problem.

13. Crb macrumors member

Just to post my 2c in here. Just 2 days ago, I got my first ever mac (27" i5) and before that, I was running OSX on a 2 - 3 year old custom built hackintosh. When I played WoW on my hackintosh (even after 3.3), I never noticed an once of slowness but as soon as I installed WoW on my iMac (which is easily more powerful than my old hackintosh), I noticed a big drop in framerate. I found the opengl "fix" that folks have posted here and on the wow forums and that change alone probably tripled my FPS.

I am just wondering if it is only certain Mac configs that cause this?

14. Arkillion macrumors newbie

I assume that it is config based but have yet to see a pattern in the numerous threads here and on the wow tech support threads.

My fps is pretty much the same before and after the patch. I have a mac pro 3,1 and used to use 8800gt. I just recently installed a 4890. Both cards work fine so it can't be an ATI/Nvidia problem.