Really Stupid Obsessive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmyWat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AmyWat macrumors newbie

Hi, well I got my MacBook Pro for Christmas and Was waiting for my case (to protect it) to arrive for a few weeks so I was super careful with my Mac so that it didn't come to any harm... the case arrived and I stuck it on to have a look and then had some trouble getting it off again as there was a spec of dirt under it, anyway it took to using a knife (biggest mistake of my life) to get it off and now from where i was wedging the knife in-between the case and the mac theres a tiny in dent type scratch on the front... I know this is silly but this tiny mark is killing me, this is my first mac and I was bought it for my last two years of uni and it's my absolute baby... I need to know if there is any product that I can buy to correct this maybe some sort of sand paper thing I don't know I just want it fixed I would be fine about it if i'd had it for at least six months but I've barely had it a month,
    This is ridiculously long sorry,
    PLEASE SAY THERE IS SOMETHING FOR IT :(
    It's so bad that there wasn't a mark on it until the case arrived to protect it arghhh help me please, by the way I'm not normally bothered about things like this but I've never had an object that I love so much lol I sound crazyyy!!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's not good to get so attached to a computer...

3. tootall macrumors regular

Leave it alone, you'll just make it worse... just enjoy the computer, there is still "beauty" in less than perfect things...

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

5. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

What kind of case do you have? If you have a case, how can you see the scratch when it's on? Or for that matter, a spec of dirt. Is it some kind of a clear case?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What were you smoking that made you think using a knife on you computer was a good idea?:confused:

7. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Agreed. OP needs to learn that a computer is a tool and although its an expensive machine, it's made to be used and with use comes scuffs and scratches. They're what make the MBP yours and not anyone else's, since every MBP will be silver with a white apple on it. Nothing stays perfect forever.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Agreed - simply enjoy the new Mac and ignore the cosmetic flaw.

I'm curious about the case - which case is it?

9. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Don't buy a new car. The first dent or scratch is equally traumatic.

10. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Fill it with Bondo and take a belt sander to that puppy.:eek:lol

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Don't feel bad. There's so many paranoid Mac owners out there, they keep an entire Apple Accessories Industry in business. You don't see colored plastic shells, skins & other such stuff for anything but Apple products. It's the effect Macs have on some people.

They treat them like jewelry. Taking extreme measures to keep them from looking as though they're being used & enjoyed.

Mines well cared for, yet not covered up. I bought it to use & enjoy. Not to keep it pretty for resale reasons.

12. Bluehinder macrumors member

I'd sell it if I was you, you'll never be happy.

13. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

You should count your blessings if this was the biggest mistake of your life...

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

relax.

If it bugs you so much sell it on Ebay or CL. IF not, leave it alone or you WILL makes it worse.

I mean, i'd hate to think of you making it much worse now, considering how freaked out you are. But you did the right thing to come here. We are here to help. This is the Apple HOT LINE ,so to speak, for geeks who are in trouble.

We love you. So put away the sandblaster, hide the pills, unload the gun, and come here and post away. :)

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Easier said then done, but I've been taught (and I have to keep relearning this) to not sweat the small stuff.

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from, you've damaged, albeit slightly, you Mac that you've worked hard at saving and trying to buy. Now that its damaged there's really nothing you can do to correct it.

You can accept what happened and take it as a lesson learned, or can sell it, but you'll not get what you paid for and you'll have raise up more $$ to replace it.

Personally, I'd say accept it, and move on. There are other things in life that are bigger and more important. I try to keep my Macs in pristine condition but my MBP is portable so there is a risk with carrying a laptop.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

some of those hard shells are hard to get off....but you used a knife?

17. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I think we're all wondering the same thing with the knife. But Shhh. We're here for support ;)

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good idea we support you OP

he took a knife to his prized posession, imagine what he would do to any of us :eek:

19. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

If THAT is the biggest mistake of your life, then consider yourself lucky.

Leave it alone, and try not to get so attached to material things. Someone could steal it tomorrow.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

I suggest you promptly see a therapist about your weird attachment to objects. This isn't normal behaviour and if it is bothering you this much, it is impacting your quality of life and you should seek treatment.

It's a scuff mate, when things get used, they'll get worn, be it scuff, dents, dings, scratches, whatever. I hope you never buy a new car, you'll shoot yourself when you make your first scratch!

21. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

ROFL
    Well op know you how ridiculous that sounds.
    Ironic putting the thing into a box to protect it and because of a speck of dust, he scratches it with a knife, trying to get that speck of dust out. Just LOL.
    I would hang myself with such problems.

22. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Get over it.

It's a computer.

Put some of your angst and energy into doing some good in the world - volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, your local soup kitchen, whatever.

23. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's not the end of the world, it's just a tiny imperfection. I understand that you really like your computer, but it isn't going to function any differently with a tiny little dent in it. Don't try to fix it...you'll just end up causing more damage. Whether this happens at 2 weeks, 6 months or 2 years, chances are that most people's MBPs will end up with some small amount of damage...it's a portable computer, and those kinds of things happen. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy using your computer.

24. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Hey OP I'm not a psychologist so I'll just try to help with your question about the Mac.

It's just aluminum that's scratched, right? If so, go to an auto parts store and gets some polishing compound. Try that on the machine in an unobtrusive place so that you scan see whether it helps. You might even start with toothpaste; the idea is to use as fine a compound as possible and work up to rougher stuff as necessary. Rubbing compound would be more abrasive, and sand paper more so. If you don't mind embarrassing yourself further, just check local places that work with metal. Lots of restorers do this sort of stuff.

If it's a furrow you've gouged or a dent, that's much tougher to fix. You might be able to grind it out, etc but given your repair skills it wouldn't be a diy job.

Rob

25. hooneyrob macrumors member

Unless its the most slight of scratches you are probably not going to get shot of the damage. You'll probably make things look worse. The paint on the MacBooks scratches really easily. Without a case they scratch underneath simply from movement on a desk.

I understand why you want it to be perfect as to some the purchase is as much about design as it is the OS or applications.

The only viable option is to get a price to replace the damaged part or.. I've with it..

Can you post a picture?