Really surprised, ipad can't charge while in use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by h00ligan, May 18, 2010.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I installed a ps af protector(more on that later, surprised i haven't received an email back about issues i've had)...turned up the brightness from where it was...leads to more battery drain, not a ton more, but noticeable. So heres the thing..I used my ipad a lot today, finally maxed it...so at about 18% and knowing I have to use the device for another four-five hours I plugged it in, kept using it. Charging indicator is on...at rest it charges...but in use..it is still dropping percentage. I am REALLY surprised that using the device while plugged in would not only disallow charging but actively drain. Seems like a major oversight to me, the ac charge not being able to keep up with usage.

Before you respond with, mine does! Take a min to crack your brightness up high, then plug it in and use it for an hour..see what happens, its slow, but it does drain.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is this plugged into a computer or the special 10W adapter?

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Sounds like you're using your iPhone charger instead of your iPad charger.

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Take the screen protector off and problem solved?

6. smotheredhope macrumors regular

Ok.

Ipad plugged in.
    Brightness all the way up.
    iPad at 49%
    Commence surfing inter webs and using apps.
    50%
    51%
    52%

Nope. Your hypothesis has failed.

Go get a new iPad.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok, while I fully support smart ass remarks I had to try this. 50 minutes in playing Angry Birds for the most part my iPad is charging and the brightness is on 100%. I'm not experiencing the issue you're having. Plugged into a Belkin mini surge protector with the 10w charger. Three tabs open in iCab Browser after I was finished playing my game.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

How do you guys (and girls) use your ipads at max brightness? I usually keep mine at about 30%

9. James L macrumors 6502a

Plugged into what? The wall via the supplied 10w power adapter? A computer via a high power USB port? A computer via a standard USB port?

10. d00m42 macrumors regular

d00m42

You go to Settings, General, Brightness, and drag the slider all the way towards the right end of the bar. /sarcasm

I also feel the need to keep my devices at anywhere from 30-50% for the saved battery, but I might try using mine at 60-80% brightness when I get it so I know what the battery is like right off the bat without resorting to power-saving.

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Haha I know how to change the brightness. I meant like how do you use it when it's that bright. It's blinding.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't. I changed it because the OP has an issue that I wanted to replicate. I cannot so I'm back down to 60%-ish.

13. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Op, what are you plugging into to charge, and is the iPad jail broken?
    I am not experiencing the issues, mine charges fine.

Patty

14. DunnMaui macrumors member

Brightness

I usually keep my brightness to about 30% also. I do turn it way up when viewing pictures because otherwise they are too dark. Then I usually forget to reset the brightness. Yes it does suck down the battery.

15. d00m42 macrumors regular

d00m42

Its always funny to see the ones in-store with the brightness cranked up to 100% to show off the screen vibrance. I'm pretty sure most people don't really keep it at 100% for more than a few minutes at a time.

16. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Plugged into the iPad charger, not iPhone...fwiw there is a surge protector...to the sarcasm..yes maybe I need a new iPad...douche. I posted a legit thought and question...don't like it, don't click it.

17. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

There different the ones that come with the ipad and the iPhone?

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

iPad charger is 10W. iPhone and the iPod charger is 5W. Both will charge iPhones and iPods but the iPad will show 'Not Charging' when plugged into the 5W charger. The iPad will charge on the 5W adapter when the screen is turned off albeit slower.

19. rapidj macrumors regular

Can you charge the iphone with the 10w charger without any issues?

20. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

yep.

21. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It's also because it is very bright inside the Apple stores.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Peopel are way too obsessed with their ****. I just use and enjoy mine free of worring about all this meaningless crap.

23. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I sympathize with your frustration, but actually, your original post indeed suggests the assertion that all iPads are like yours.

24. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

I tested this out last night on my iPhones charger I charged my iPad while reading on kindle app and it did charge it in about 15 minutes it went from 31% to 37%. While this is may be pretty slow charging (not sure) it still worked so Im not sure of the differences between our ipads mine is a 16GB wifi.

25. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

I had some bad weather and lots of damage. I used it to light my living room and to signal S. O. S. to an aircraft that was flying over. I am sure it could be used defensively if we had a vampire attack.