really worth pay $899 for the apple led?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by umbilical, Apr 20, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, Iam thinking in buy the new led... I see that is expensive but I friend see it and told me that is great for design work, you know good calibration, colors etc...

any comments?

thanks

2. Amethyst macrumors 6502

This is the best deal in the market

LED + 24" S-IPS + Apple Design

at $899 it f**K cheap

expect it has a glass!

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

well see it of that way, you are right, so I need buy a new mac pro or change my graphics card, I have the mac pro 08, I dont if apple release a led with dv for mac pro 08 and others old macs... maybe not...

4. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

It is one of the most ridiculously overpriced displays on the market. Let's be honest.

If you're wishing for an Apple monitor for a desktop, then I recommend waiting until they release their desktop range of LED LCDs. The current 24" really was designed to be used just with the Macbooks - hence the built in magsafe and speakers. You're paying for things you don't need if you have a desktop.

5. deaathleopards macrumors member

I am split - I partly agree with you - it is almost 1k for a monitor (when I saw that I nearly DIED :eek: ) but it really depends on what you are doing. If you are an office user, you would want a cheap monitor but, if you are a graphics designer you want something that has amazing colors. I would love to have it but, I wouldn't be spending that much on it all too soon!

6. kolax macrumors G3

It isn't that expensive when you think about what you are getting.

To continue off from Amethyst's post:

LED backlight + 24" S-IPS + Integrated iSight + 3 port USB hub + Integrated Speakers + Aluminium Casing + Apple Design.

As others have said, it is kind of made for the MacBook as a variation of a docking station.

I'm sure Apple will update all their Cinema Displays come WWDC.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

8. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

I can understand not wanting a useless magsafe cable, but what other 24" LED s-ips screen with a built in webcam and speakers are you looking at that makes you think the display is "one of the most ridiculously overpriced displays on the market. Let's be honest"?

9. Amethyst macrumors 6502

U r in same situation with me Mac Pro 08 and LED 24"

10. vga4life macrumors 6502

I'd never buy the Apple 24" display when you can find 3rd party 30" 2560x1600 IPS displays for the same price or less.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

H-IPS and LED backlit with a webcam, speakers, and microphone built-in at that price? Point me there!

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I can't find any other monitor like it. I sold my 30 inch Apple display to get this and I don't miss the older display. I like the quick docking feature.

My only complaint is that Bootcamp won't see it as the primary display with the laptop closed. Maybe that is just a limitation of Windows.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I love how people are quick to mention the miscellaneous features that have nothing to do with the display, as if they matter to someone who knows what they are looking for. The speakers are (given Apple's track record for speakers) going to be horrendous, and if one never uses an iSight why is it even worth mentioning?

14. courboy macrumors regular

I had the same concerns when I recently bought the 24" LED (last week) and was tempted to buy either the Dell or HP 30" monitor instead. However, I decided to take the plunge and buy the Apple.

I have to say this is an absolutely beautiful display to look at, it is definitely better on my eyes than any previous monitor (although TN panel so this may have been the case with the Dell/HP). This colours are really vivid and the dock is a great feature if you have a new style macbook.

I admit there are many flaws with the monitor (gloss screen if you have a window behind you, only one connection etc) but as I only intend to use it with my computer, it's perfect. An expensive item for sure, but certainly a very good product.

15. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Find me a 24" H-IPS display with an LED backlit system and then we can start talking "over-priced". Now we can talk about it being "worth" it. Is the LED backlighting system worth hundreds of dollars more over the standard CCFL backlighting system? That's going to be subjective. The backlighting system is adding a lot to the cost of the monitor.

I've heard that CCFL lose brightness overtime, but how much and over what period of time I don't know. I think a 24" monitor like this should last years though, as in about 10 years or more.

16. brentsg macrumors 68030

I got rid of my Dell 3007WFP and got the 24" ACD, and I consider it an upgrade. Of course it's subjective but the ACD is a much more refined display imo.

17. lotuselite macrumors newbie

Hope you don't need a connecting cable longer than forty odd inches.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Uhhhh yeah if you break in and steal a 30"

Newegg doesn't carry any at that price

Not a 30" under a grand.

The LED 24" is a solid deal. It's not the cheapest and it's not the most expensive. It looks fantastic in design and screen quality. It has speakers and a webcam and Magsafe.

You don't have to like it but it's most likely worth the price for people willing to pay a bit more for quality.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The LED backlight is honestly a gimmick and nothing that makes it better. LED's are not problem free and there are still bleeding problems galore with this display. There are cheaper 24 inch H-IPS monitors and even 26 inch ones as well. Theres also the 2209wa which you can buy 4 of for cheaper than this display and still have more inputs and an IPS screen and many 24 inch versions of this panel are planned so expect to see 24 inch IPS screens for not much more than 200 dollars. what really kills this one is the mini display port ordeal (Its WUXGA, the advantages aren't even need). Not only does this not make it compatible with 99.9 percent of computers but theres no guarentee thats it future proof. Displayport has a reason to exist. Mini displayport is a waste. Displayport is smaller than dvi that the last gen had and most other notebooks now have both vga and hdmi, so they could have easily put displayport on their notebooks.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Gimmick or not LED screens are amongst the best looking I've seen. From the Samsung Luxia to this Apple the contrast ratio is good and I guess I have a personal preference for high contrast pictures.

It'll probably take mature OLED before we vanquish all anomolies but LED to me even in its infancy has a brighter future (pun not intended) than current CCFL tech.

The Dell 2209WA is a 22" screen that uses LG's E-IPS technology which I haven't seen in anything beyond 1680x1050. Come on now don't try to treat me like some monitor noob the Dell is cheaper because it should be cheaper.

Your comments on DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort are way off. Most PC sold are ATX cases that can take an upgradable graphics card. DisplayPort is backwards compatible with HDMI, DVI and VGA. A cyclops can see why Apple went DisplayPort and created Mini Displayport.

1. Apple likes thin computers. A full size connector isn't going to work.
    2. Displayport has the roadmap to support high rez and high bits per pixel.
    3. DisplayPort will support 10 bits and beyond.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that VGA a technology that should have been put to pasture long ago and DVI/HDMI with their old school raster tech is 21st century tech.

21. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I only mention VGA to give you a size reference of how much space other manufacturers can use. And displayport is about the size of hdmi. Even netbooks have vga. Theres no advantage to mini displayport over displayport other than a minor size advantage which doesn't matter because displayport would have fit on the macbook without any trouble. Its obvious that mini displayport is an attempt to return to their own ports like they did in the 90's and limit the hardware selection options. And the 2209wa scores Extremely high in the image quality tests, besting even the 24 inch cinema display in some tests. And I bet their are several owners of it hear that will disagree on your statement thats its a cheaply made display. There was a sample 24 inch e-ips display at one of the trade shows earlier this year, so clearly 24 inch models are planned. I doubt LG would be dumb enough to not cash in on it, especially with the way the 2209wa is selling.

PS: Since when do monitor noobs mention things like IPS, PVA, and TN.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't know...the Macbook got rid of Firewire ports and my guestimate is that it was a decision based on real estate. Although I'd miss the ability to lock the cable in place with MDP I understand why Apple has shrunken the connector. There are what 3-4 miniture USB connections for everything from cell phones to camcorders? I don't think we should assume that physical port sizes don't matter (I'm not saying you believe this)

VGA ...why won't that port just die? I laugh everytime I see one on a PC. It's indicative of the PC landscape ..."selling yesterdays technology today" mantra.

I remember when the first Cinema Display hit and it was 4 grand. So I guess I'm an old curmudgeon and tend to chuckle when people think $900 is spendy.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

If you have a Macbook might as well just buy a $1049 refurb iMac with free printer instead of a $899 24" ACD. You'd get a brand new mouse and keyboard with the iMac too. You'd have to spend $100 to get those with your ACD.

If you have a Mac Pro it's a different story You need a monitor. Don't need another desktop. And if you're buying a Mac Pro you're used to blowing a lot of dough on a computer.

I wish Apple had an Ikea line of products. Cheaper yet still had some design sense and coordination with their other products.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Well if you're going to compare Apples to Apple's wouldn't it be

A $1049 Refurb iMac compared to a $799 Refurb LED ACD ?

That's a $349 difference...which could be significant.