Reanimate this iMac ? Possible ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KFantomas, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KFantomas, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

KFantomas macrumors regular

KFantomas

Hi !
    It's been a long time (about 2/3 years) I have this iMac in my closet.
    It's a 24" White iMac, I disassembled it years ago, but like crap because I saw that the radiator wasn't even touching the GPU and CPU (No wonder why the fan was running at full speed)
    I don't think it will be useful, but in case of, here's the specs:
    iMac 24" Late 2006 (model 6,1)
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16GHz
    nVidia GeForce 7300GT 128MB
    2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

Anyway, I disassembled it back again, it took me 3 hours but I saved it a little bit (the GPU mounting system had missing part, so I had to fix it using sewing thread (at least, it worked, the GPU was fixed to the radiator) and applied new thermal paste on both CPU and GPU
    But now when I start it, it does this
    I tried to start it in Target Disk Mode and connect it to my MacBook Pro, but nothing appear on my MacBook.
    Can a dead video card prevent the iMac from booting ?
    I mean, if the video card is faulty, it should still boot, but have artefacts and graphical glitches, doesn't it ?
    Thank you in advance for the response x)

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

It appears your dinosaur has gone the way of all dinosaurs. Don't waste anymore time on it unless you have nothing else to do. :rolleyes:

3. KFantomas thread starter macrumors regular

KFantomas

That's what I thought !
    I had nothing to do today, and I remembered I had this old dinosaur on my closet, so I tried to resurrect this iMac because I love challenge x)
    I think I'll just ditch it, I don't even have room for it (we're now 2 living in my bedroom so a dead 24" iMac doesn't really have it's place there)
    I just hope my good old 06 MBP won't die the same way my last 2006 iMacs (20" and 24") died