Reason why you went from 2G to 3G Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Jul 23, 2008.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi, For those who had the original iphone and went to get the 3G what were your main reasons for doing so ?

For me I like to stay up to date with these things,pluse the GPS and better sound.
    So now im selling my 2G with 2 Vaja cases and 3 other cases etc. But just last night i looked at my 3g and for some reason it looked a little better than the 3g lol.

And are you more happy with the 3G over the 2G

Anyway whats your reasons ?

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Because I'm a geek and like to have the latest stuff. :)

Seriously though the main reason was 3G. I use the internet alot and not just for play but for work. I needed the faster speed.

3. atlken77 macrumors member

If I already had an iPhone, I dont think I would have upgraded knowing what I know now about the 3G.

As it is - it was my first iPhone - so i am content. The 3G (service) is buggy at best (and I live in Atlanta - home of ATT Mobility). And the great stuff is included in the 2.0 software.

4. Cask Guest

Well, at first I always thought that I was going to stick with my 1st gen iPhone. However, I decided to put it on Mexico's ebay to see how much I could get and I got about 700 USD. So with that money I could get the 3G almost half of the money left. Also, a big factor was that at first I didn't like the data plans Telcel announced, but then I discovered that I could stick to my current plan and just stick a unlimited data on top of it. Previously I had no data plan so that was a big plus.

It was hard to get rid of the 1st Gen, it was in Mint Condition, and I still thinks that the looks of the 1st Gen were far sexier than those of the 3G. In my opinion, the 3G can sometimes looks like a pirated version of the first, with those big black borders around the screen and such. The first version iPhone really was a good looking product.

5. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Purely for he 3G network. It is sooo much faster than the Edge network.

Why is the 1st gen iPhone called the 2G? Because the new one is 3G? Nobody called it a 2G until the new one came out.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

for the 3G and GPS
    and my contract ran out so could get a new phone, wanted the iphone and couldnt be bothered to unlock it as i had with the 1st gen

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

use it alot for email and need 3g access to exchange mailbox - a hell of a lot faster -- do a lot of browsing my company intranet on the go via VPN tool, much better on 3G.. plus i had an 8gb first gen and my music library is 14gb..

8. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

Free upgrade to 16GB model.

Like to stay up-to-date

3G / GPS / Improved Sound

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My primary reason was for the 3G network. Wifi is fine and it served me well when the 1st Gen iPhone was all we had, but there are a lot of "public" wifi hotspots that you have to pay to use out there. 3G eliminates any need for me to even think about signing up to that WiFi just to use on the iPhone. With the amount of mobile work I do, the cost of the 3G plan (and even the cost of the separate 3G card I have for my MacBook Pro), more than pays for itself.

The second reason: It was time for me to go from 8GB to 16GB. :) I just wish 32GB had come out at the same time. Oh well.

To delinieate the network type being used.

1G: Analog phone service (1st Generation)

2G: The first digital networks - GSM, TDMA, CDMA networks without 1x or EVDO (2nd Generation)

3G: EVDO and UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA networks (Third Generation)

In this context, there was obviously no "1G" iPhone, because at the time analog service was around, the technology didn't exist to make an iPhone. No Lithium Polymer batteries. LCD screens weren't nearly as good. Touch screens were even worse. No GPS, no data, no text messaging.

There are some who consider EDGE to be "2.5G" or halfway between 2G and 3G, and some even muddy the waters further by saying GPRS was 2.5G and EDGE was "2.75G." But there are no such official designations, really.

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

going to upgrade primarily because my FAN discount can't be applied to iPhone 2G whereas the 3G does work with FAN discount... 20% every month :eek:

11. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i didnt upgrade i am perfectly happy with my first gen only paying 67 dollars a month:D plus when the new ui touch or whatever its called is released i will get that.:)

12. honeycrisp macrumors regular

13. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

one word:confused:

14. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

maybe they meant, two syllables. :D

15. ginguar macrumors regular

I went for the 3G, not for the faster speeds for download (but i appriciate that) but because you cannot take calls and use the internet at the same time with edge.

Since I spend time surfing when travelling in and out of work I wanted to also be able to take calls.

That was the biggest factor for me, but it's oh so pretty ;)

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I didn't know that! Glad I never had an EDGE iPhone.

When EDGE is on (no 3G available) it is ridiculously slow. I laugh now remembering people on here saying 3G would be no biggy because EDGE was easily quick enough. What were they smoking?

17. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

but why wouldn't;) he say syllables instead of words

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I wanted improved reception and I have got it to an extent. 3G coverage is non-existent here so I always get GPRS, not even EDGE. The new phone aided by coverage by about 1 bar in every situation.

I also got the 3G phone with 16GB storage for £159 and I sold my old 8GB iPhone for £199. I made a profit plus I also got my plan reduced from £35 per month to £30 per month.

19. cdpilkington macrumors member

It was profitable to do so.

Purchased iPhone 8Gb for £169 - sold iPhone 8Gb for £235.
    So I was paid £65 for using an iPhone for a few months (£45 really, because I'm purchasing a 3g dock).
    And at the end of it, I end up with an even better iPhone with twice the capacity. Quite a good deal, all things considered. :D

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Same here.
    I don't need the GPS. I have a Garmin =)
    But it's deff been worth the upgrade.
    I love 3G!
    People keep complaining about it... but I'm happy. :D

21. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I did it because it was a new product that Apple offered. :D

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

23. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Originally wasn't going to since 3G didn't get out to our house, but checking the 3G coverage after the 3G announcement in June, suddenly coverage did get out here. Upgraded both our iPhones for the 3G and GPS enhancements. We don't need the GPS for our cars, both have it already, but we're going to Italy soon and now we don't have to rent a GPS or buy maps for Italy as the iPhone GPS will work just fine for our needs when driving around Tuscany. Worked great in LA with a rental car for driving around there for a family thing too.

24. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I completely forgot about that fact. Just tested it with 3G and yep, I can be on a call and browse the internet. Edge can't do that. I think you could do it with the old iPhone if you were on Wifi, but definitely not with Edge as I did test that.