Reasons why my Treo is better than my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Oct 15, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

OK- I love my iPhone.
    But did our expectations over the past year match the reality? Did Apple actually deliver?

Here are some big reasons why my old Treo 700 is still much better than the iPhone.
    1) Faster internet- Sprint 3G network is FAST
    2) Can access MS Exchange email (which most people have at work) on Treo via mail app (Chatteremail). Push email works well.
    3) Can cut and paste
    4) Plays streaming audio (ie XM radio, Shoutcast streams, all internet radio including Howard Stern)
    5) Plays streaming video including live TV (40 channels with MobiTV!).
    6) Bluetooth works! Not just for headsets. Also can sync with Mac via Bluetooth. Who needs the stupid cables?
    7) Can record video with camera.

Now as far as I can tell, there is no reason why iPhone shouldn't be able to do these things. The biggest reason I think is that Apple refuses to allow third party developers in.

I know there are many reasons why my iPhone is better than my Treo as well, but it seems that the revolutionary iPhone could have been so much more....

Anyone agree?

2. MAW macrumors regular

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I can't disagree. There is no perfect solution.

If you're a heavy texter or emailer then the "fake" keyboard on the iPhone is going to drive you nuts. I wish my iPhone had a good way to ssh out.

That said, I wouldn't trade my iPhone for a Treo -- I love the iPhone's browser, phone functions, and visual voicemail. The mail app is adequate for my needs.

It all depends on what you need to do.

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'm still waiting for apple to release all those things. But even then the iPhone is the most amazing gadget I'd ever used and even other ones with more features don't compare to it in my opinion.

5. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Waaaaah! My iPhone doesn't stream Sirius satellite radio! Waaaaah!! I'm so depressed! Waaaaaaah!!!!

Couldn't resist the Stern reference.

Seriously though...this topic has been beaten to death.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You forgot to mention
    8) Door Stop
    9) Paper Weight

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Kudos!! iPhone should have all these features....

Go to SPRINT! :)

8. uPhone macrumors regular

Everyone knows the iPhone sucks features wise.

The only people who really buy iPhones are for ppl who only use it for Music Video and Calls.

The iPhones isn't meant for anything else.

its not a "smart" phone.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I can't disagree with your points; however, the reason I like my iPhone better than your Treo: it doesn't drive me insane to use it. Point being, what good are features if they're so painful to use that you just end up not using them? Now everyone is different, so if you like using a Treo then more power to you, but for me the iPhone is the first phone I've felt comfortable using fully on a daily basis, so for that reason alone it's worth it to me. But yeah, it needs some fixes and upgrades, I don't think anyone is denying that. I'm fairly certain Apple realizes it too.

10. Geffen macrumors 6502

Some people still have to remember this is just the first generation iPhone and its not going to be a Blackberry or compared to any other phone. i'm sure in the future we'll see some enchancements to the iPhone like 3G the iPhone isn't for everyone.

11. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

I'd have a hard time saying anything positive about the internet and a 700p in the same sentence. I mean honestly, could there be a worse browsing experience than that horrible interface.

Other than that and the fact the phone rebooted itself randomly and often, I guess it was an ok device.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't think blazer's UI is THAT bad.

anyway, blazer does have some bright points (altho generally inferior to mobileSafari in page rendering): it can save pages to local disk for offline viewing, it can download files (such as podcast, etc). its drop down menu are much more responsive than mobileSafari.

13. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

It's ok...admit it..it's terrible. I got snookered and bought one too. Mine is at the bottom of a lake up here in MN. They call it the Treo for a reason. You'll need the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost just to make it work.

14. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

And, quite honestly, while it isn't the same eyecandy as iPhone's browsing experience, if you asked me to get some piece of information quickly online while I was driving or out and about... it is faster for me to do so on my Treo than on my iPhone. The webpage may not look as nice- but the data.. the text.. the info I need... is more readily available.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, there is a reason why wireless cell users across the country have different experience, even with same phone, same network.

its expected, its impossible to read (in most cases) anything on mobileSafari before you double tap or zooming-in (two finger gesture). and it takes quite a few steps to adjust the page to a good size to read it (balance between font size and "fit content to the width of the screen")

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Reasons why a 1958 Ford Country Squire station wagon is better than a 2007 Porsche Boxter.

1.) Seats fold down for lovin'.
    2.) Way more room for groceries.
    3.) Bigger gas tank.
    4.) AM radio only...less chances for hearing country western.
    5.) Swell wood paneling.
    6.) Cheaper parts.
    7.) Popular with ladies over 60 (less moody, don't shop constantly).

Attached Files:

17. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

That's pretty funny!
    But the difference is that Porsche owners aren't hoping for those features you mentioned, unlike the Treo list.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

They're definitely hoping for #6. ;)

19. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ya its true the iphone would be killer with all those things but how many variations of the treo have come and gone???

Now lets go and count how many variations of the iphone have come and gone???

I'd say apple did a damn good job for making there first cell phone

20. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

10. Butt ugly styling circa 1999 so unlikely to be stolen.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Make a list of why the iPhone is better than the Treo now.

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

This reads like a chick who's been with a guy she's into for a couple of months and knows all of his shortcomings and dislikes them but stays with him anyway while she tries to change him, but hasn't fully accepted that he is who he is and not what she wants him to be.

Maybe he's just not that into you.

23. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wow. That is some analogy. Talking from experience?
    j/k

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hard question to answer, as everyone's expectations are different, but I personally think that Apple did a decent job of delivering a product that did pretty much what they said it was going to do.

25. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Yeah, scrolling endlessly down a reformatted web page IS better than panning around a properly formatted one.