Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From Flights in U.S.

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a recall initiated by Apple, the Federal Aviation Administration has banned mid-2015 15-inch MacBook Pro models with faulty batteries from flights, reports Bloomberg.

Apple in June announced a voluntary recall and replacement program for 15-inch MacBook Pro models sold between September 2015 and February 2017 as these models may contain batteries that can overheat and pose a fire safety risk.

[​IMG]

In a statement to Bloomberg, the Federal Aviation Administration said that major U.S. airlines have been notified about the recall and have been instructed to follow guidelines for goods with recalled batteries.

That means affected Apple laptops that have not received replacement batteries are not allowed on flights as cargo or in carry-on luggage, which is standard operating procedure.

Earlier this month, the European Union Aviation Safety Agency also warned European airlines to make sure affected MacBook Pro models are switched off and not used during flights.

Four cargo airlines, including TUI Group Airlines, Thomas Cook Airlines, Air Italy, and Air Transat have implemented bans that prevent the laptops from being brought on planes as cargo.
    TUI Group Airlines, based out of the UK, plans to begin making announcements about affected MacBook Pro models at the gate and prior to takeoff, but laptops with replaced batteries will not be affected. There is no word on whether similar announcements will be made at U.S. airports and other airports worldwide.

Apple has asked customers with a 15-inch mid-2015 MacBook Pro to stop using their machines until they can take the steps to have their batteries replaced. Users with a 2015 MacBook Pro can enter their Mac's serial number in the recall program website to check if their machine needs a replacement battery.

Apple has been offering free replacement batteries since June and has sent out emails to customers who are affected urging them to bring their MacBook Pro models in for repair. 2015 machines that have a fresh battery are allowed on planes as normal.

15-inch MacBook Pro models from 2015 that have faulty batteries are in danger of overheating and catching on fire. Approximately 432,000 potentially affected MacBook Pro units were sold in the United States, along with 26,000 in Canada.

Article Link: Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From Flights in U.S.

2. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Samsung'd! Good thing they didn't talk smack when the Note 7 had its issue.

3. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Yikes! Will be so nice when we get beyond Li ion's.

4. rhyzome macrumors 6502

Is any of this battery replacement stuff applicable to 2014 MBPs?

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Sounds like a new protocol in dealing with consumer electronic products that have defective batteries. This is better for everybody. Nothing for Apple to be embarrassed about.

6. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Bang goes our "well at least it didn't ground flights/blow up" banter about Samsung :rolleyes:

7. newyorksole macrumors 68040

How exactly are they going to screen for this? The average TSA employee probably doesn’t know a 2010 MBP from a 2019 MBP.

How did it work with the Galaxy phones? I can’t tell which Galaxy is which Lol.

8. Haust macrumors member

Mine is not on the recall list. Maybe worth packing some documentation to prove it I guess.

9. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

I wonder how they’ll check whether individual MacBook Pros are in the affected range? Will they have to plug the serial number into the website for every one? Plus, they look identical to retina MacBook Pros from 2012-2015, that’s going to be interesting.

10. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

But from my understanding, it's only a handful of 2015 models and even then, they can be fixed.

Banning all 2015 MBPs is probably the only way to be sure you don't get a defective one on a flight, so it may be necessary overkill, but it's overkill nonetheless.

11. Xarthan macrumors regular

Xarthan

Great, due to TSA knowledge it's going to be no apple devices at all on flights.

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The Note 7 was recalled after a month and discontinued after 2 months. The Macs in question are 3-4 years old.

13. konqerror macrumors 6502a

While the Galaxy phones look outwardly the same, they still had a unique shape and size, so all you needed was a photo, preferably actual size. Samsung also did a firmware patch to change the color of the battery icon after the first recall.

14. mikethemartian macrumors 6502a

They can replace them with the nuclear reactor technology the Russians are using to power their cruise missiles.

15. NickName99, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

The Samsung exploding battery issue was on an entirely different level.

https://time.com/4526350/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-problems-overheating-fire/

Within a month after its August release:
    “Samsung receives 92 reports of batteries overheating in Galaxy Note 7 phones in the U.S.; it says there were 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage. A man in Florida says his vehicle caught fire when the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone charging inside his SUV burst into flames.”

Another month went by, millions of phones recalled, banned in airports, and this:
    “On Oct. 9, Samsung stops exchanging recalled Note 7 devices due to reports of replacement phones catching fire, just as the original phones did.”

Two days later, Samsung announced they were ceasing production of the phone.

It’s incredible that people went back and bought phones from Samsung again. I know Apple customers are loyal, but wow, Samsung customers took it a bit beyond “loyal” in my opinion.

16. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

it cheap. I can replace one a year.I just need phone to call,whatspp and some time wasting game.Do i need 1 grand phone?I just new version iphone se version which suppose cost 200 dollar.

17. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have a 15-inch mid-2015 Retina MacBook Pro. It was purchased from Apple Store Online Refurbished. It has the Iris Pro 1536MB Graphics, not the MX370. I went to the Apple page, and plugged in the appropriate serial number for the unit, and this is what came up:

[​IMG]

------------------------

So, apparently this mid-2015 Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro is a Refurbished model, and is not affected, and has a newer replaced battery. So how in the world are the airline security checks going to know this?? Without having a serial number checker on hand??

18. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

Yikes. Timmy better make those product numbers a little easier to read.

19. HenryFSU macrumors member

HenryFSU

What are they gonna do, look up the serial # and go online to see if it’s eligible? Carry a repair receipt? Give me a break.

20. qkypgy macrumors newbie

Ugh how can they tell the difference between the models in the 3rd gen (first introduced in 2012) lineup though, they all look similar. I just had to fix my 2014 model out of pocket due to swollen battery too. It's not the recalled model, but on the outside, looks no different.

21. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

Are you really asking if Apple will do something extra for free?

22. citysnaps macrumors 601

No it won't.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---
    Makes sense...

My wife's 2015 MBP was on the battery recall list. We took it in for repair two weeks ago.

The rep at the Apple store said if it went to the Austin repair facility it would need to go ground due to the battery issue. But would be returned via air.

As it turned out the turnaround time was just 1 week. Based on that I suspect the battery was replaced at either their Sacramento or Cupertino facilities.

23. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

"That means affected Apple laptops that have not received replacement batteries are not allowed on flights as cargo or in carry-on luggage, which is standard operating procedure."

How would the airline know? I predict many people endangering others by still bringing their affected Macs on flights.

24. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Even if they were on the ball and had a PC or tablet set up at the gate, connected to the website, to check serial numbers, getting the serial number from one machine (which may be in someone's carry-on and you have to tell them you need to look at it, and then explain why you need to look at it, "yes, really, yes, you", and then have them get it out, and turn it on, and maybe plug it in, and maybe boot it up, and maybe log in, to get to "About this Mac", and then read out/transcribe the serial number without error)... now multiply that by, say, 20 users... that's quite a pile-up at the gate.

25. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors 6502

This is insane. I have a Mid 2015 that Apple say's doesn't need a replacement. As others have said, how are they going to be able to tell? They just going to ban the hundred of thousands of rMBP's?