Recap: Everything Apple Announced Today in Under 3 Minutes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple didn't hold an official event to make major announcements this week, but there was a mini press release extravaganza that saw the company introduce new hardware products, a new app, and improvements to existing devices.

A new 9.7-inch iPad debuted with an impressively low $329 price point, and there's now a red aluminum iPhone 7, both of which go on sale this Friday, March 24 at 8:01 AM Pacific Time. New Apple Watch bands are out, there are iPhone cases in new colors, Apple is about to release an app for making videos, and the iPhone SE and the iPad mini 4 got new minimum storage tiers and pricing drops.

We've recapped everything Apple announced today in the video below, and we've rounded up all of our new product coverage.

- Apple Debuts New 9.7-Inch iPad With A9 Chip to Replace iPad Air 2, Starting at $329

- iPad Mini 4 With 128GB of Storage Now Starts at $399 as 32GB Model Discontinued

- Apple Unveils Special Edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

- Apple Announces Video Creation iOS App 'Clips'

- Apple Doubles iPhone SE Storage to 32GB and 128GB

- Apple Watch Gets New Striped Woven Nylon, Classic Buckle, and Standalone Nike Sport Bands

- Apple Launches New Silicone and Leather iPhone 7 Case Colors

- Apple Discontinues iPad Mini 2

- Swift Playgrounds Now Available in Five Additional Languages

While we saw new devices today, there's still quite a bit on the horizon. The much-rumored ~10-inch iPad with a revamped design has yet to make an appearance, and we're still awaiting a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, too, along with Kaby Lake Macs and the highly anticipated iPhone 8.

With no event coming up in the near future, we may be waiting until June's Worldwide Developers Conference or the fall to see many of these new releases but make sure to keep an eye on MacRumors for the latest rumors on Apple's launch plans.

Article Link: Recap: Everything Apple Announced Today in Under 3 Minutes

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

3. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

This just isn't enough! They needed to release _______.

Apple is doomed!! Tim Cook is the worst!!

4. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm looking forward to the Spring Event. I want a 10.5in iPP.

This is good news for my co-worker, who was about to buy an iPad Air 2 yesterday.

5. macbeta macrumors member

macbeta

No pro anything. I was hoping for something a little more than coloured watch bands and minor bump updates to 3 year old products. I guess they really just spending all their focus on the new campus or something. For such a large rich company, I would have expected at least regular bumps on things like the macs. The words of Phill still ring in my ears "Can't innovate my ass". Maybe? but they sure cant produce regular updates other than new coloured stuff.

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

So much, yet so little. With every release, there is just less and less to get excited about.

This 'pipeline' Tim keeps talking about is just a sewer right now.

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Underwhelming and not that exciting. This is starting to sound all too familiar.

8. Chones cajones macrumors newbie

9. Bacillus, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Thanks, but these 3 mins were like 3 hours but hey, the new iPad is called iPad...

10. NickD73 macrumors regular

NickD73

Brilliant! Absolutely stunning! I expect the stock to double in the next 6 months!

GOOOOO TIM!

11. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Oh...my goodness! I want to see Apples stock just take a giant dive after these suck announcements, and furthermore I want Tim Cook gone.....FOREVER!

12. PabloSRT8 macrumors member

PabloSRT8

13. thekeyring macrumors 68040

14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

People quickly forget this was just mentioned by Apple as store maintenance.

Sure, you're welcome to complain about Macs not being updated. However it's a bit foolish to have expected anything from today but bumped storage and a few minor updates. History alone could tell you that.

15. thekeyring macrumors 68040

So Apple shouldn't release anything unless it's brand new products? I think releasing very minor changes like additional watch bands or a new iPhone colour is exactly the kind of thing that's done best without an event.

The store went down for maintenance today. When it came back, there were a few additions. It's not like Apple held a media event just for these changes.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

People shouldn't have let the rumours get to their heads and overhype things for themselves.

18. thekeyring macrumors 68040

What about yesterday? They didn't release anything AT ALL. There must be nothing in the pipeline! In fact, tomorrow I predict there won't be any new releases AGAIN, proving my fears correct! /s

Come on, this was a tiny release. When they hold a media event just to announce this kind of thing and nothing more, then we can worry. It looks like they're not even using these tiny product changes as even event filler anymore. Relax.

19. Defthand macrumors 6502

Three minutes is generous to recap what amounts to nothing newsworthy. Must be a clog in the pipeline.

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

It's low hanging fruit for the naysayers, and my God they're out in numbers today!

21. LeoNatan macrumors member

LeoNatan

I don't understand the stupid trend of video narration where the narrator giggles from time to time. Can't you just read the damn text?
    And even more retarded is the "but that was ..." at the end. No ****, Sherlock, I just watched it. And why the need for "but," in the damn sentence?

But, that was my rant. I am Leo Natan, commenting for MacRumors terrible narrator. Make sure to like and subscribe for more rants. But, that's it.

22. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

The iPad is almost there...they just keep creeping to the point where it makes sense for me to buy one.

Definitely not yet, but the storage and processor bumps are one less step forward for them to take.

Waiting for them to have at least 4GB of RAM in these, like their big bro, and for them to get rid of Lightning (unlikely).

I think that by the time my 2011 !7" finally gives up the ghost I'll be ready to buy a 15" iPad Pro.:p

23. MacDarcy, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Yeah, $329 is a good price for an entry level 9.7" iPad, but I just found out that Apple also discontinued the iPad mini 2 which was selling for $269. Um....soooo...in reality, they eliminated the cheapest entry level iPad.

If iPad sales are truly slipping, I don't think today's move was the best one Apple could have made to increase sales. Personally, I think Apple should enable ALL iPads to be able to use Apple Pencil. Both the pros & non pros. To me that would not only sell more iPads, it'd sell more Apple Pencils.

But hey, I'm just a consumer. What do I know?

24. Reksy macrumors member

Meh, nothing to get excited about. Was hoping the mini would at least get a hardware update and it didn't.

25. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

You want...you want...you want. People don't come here to read you cry about not getting what you want, but that's all anyone ever does on here anymore...complain and cry about not getting what they wanted.