Receipt checks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Feb 5, 2012.

1. dukebound85, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What do you think? What do you do? My understaning is that they are in member agreements for the member stores like SAMs or Costco but are merely voluntary for places like Walmart or best buy.

Do you say no thanks when asked? Have you been harassed for not?

Saw an article on this issue and it was intriguing

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Whenever I go to WalMart or Best Buy, I don't get my receipt checked. If they ask, I show it to em - it's really no big deal to me.

With Costco, I think it's mandatory.

3. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

My biggest gripe ever about Costco (2nd being the people who block the isle while grazing at the sample stations, go buy some lunch you mooch) is having to wait it line to get out of the store.

You have my money, let me leave.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

They never actually check; they have always seemed like a waste of time and money to me.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is true. They pretend to check but you can tell they really aren't. The only time they actually do check is when you have big item.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've seen some people get really angry about this, even sue over it. I don't get it. I show it to them...they check it....I leave. Not a big deal.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Life is too short to be bothered by such a minor annoyance.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Costco was doing that about 20 years ago here too. Annoying, sure, but hardly worth getting bent out of shape over.

I like to think that they are also checking their cashiers, for duplicity. ;)

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I usually let them check unless there is a line to leave. No way I wait on line to leave a store.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

This must be a US thing? I've never heard of it before. Doesn't it defeat the whole point if it's voluntary?

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Did you miss the part where the Litigious States of America raised it's ugly head? ;)

I can see the libel/slander suits flying now. :D

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Security could be improved by hiring a few more cashiers instead of forcing me into self checkout. How about that?

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

INteresting...I'd prefer more self checkouts!

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't shop anywhere that has receipt checks as a membership policy, and I will not show it when asked. First they came for the receipts...

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Only store that I go to that requires a check is Costco. I think they actually look at your receipt when you buy something expensive.

Completely understandable to why they do this. If walmart/betsbuy wanted to do this too ... I wouldn't mind. Certainly won't try to cause tensions by not showing my receipt when they ask...

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Don't know about membership clubs, but Best Buy and the like have no legal right to stop you at the door. If they ask, just say no and keep on walking.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Curious...since they are a private business, don't they have the right to do pretty much anything they want within their store as a requirement for shopping there?

I honestly don't care if they ask for one and will show it. Makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, yes...the slippery slope to Fascism.:rolleyes:

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Agreed.

They seem more to size the shopper up. My observation is that certain people/behaviors draw more scrutiny - not that its right.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well it mostly by putting an extra line of defense to make people think twice. It is not that hard to steal if you want to. You just have to act like you are suppose to be doing something and most people never question you.

Depends. They could make it that if the receipt is not check they will not honor any returns. They have zero obligation to accept returns and they can make that part of their return policy. Bad business move to do it but they could in theory do it.

I find it easier to just let them put the quick high lighted mark as I walk out the door.

The first place I saw doing this was Frys Eletronics and a little while later Best buy started doing it.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Mussolini borrowed most of his policies from Costco.

22. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

At Best Buy and the like I just say no thanks and walk around the checker and out the door.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I guess I'll have to take your word for it...history was not my strong subject.:D

Mussolini.... Costco!!!???:eek:

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

One of the Hitler Youth that works there accosted me one day, for using a calculator and a pen and paper to note unit pricing. :eek:

"Stop that, or I have to confiscate your membership card." *******.

Seems that the card remains the property of Costco, and can be revoked at whim.

I did not renew.