Received Black 'n Red LE Vaja case today...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by halfkorean, Nov 24, 2008.

1. halfkorean macrumors newbie

I ordered it November 18, and it arrived today, November 24. Did a complete unboxing of the much-heralded case...
    Beautiful! However, I then opened the case up to find a red leather lining that looked like it was applied with extreme haste. Have a look at it and let me know if I am being too picky. I'd like to get some opinions before I contact Vaja. There is not one straight border on the case. You will see what I mean by the photos. For $100, I hoped to get the case that everyone has been touting as "The last case you will need."
    Thanks in advance!
    (Click on thumbnails for a better look).

Attached Files:

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

That is not right. The first pic there should be black going all around. The last pic back view, there should be no red showing.
    I would contact Vaja.

3. xerikx macrumors regular

I actually came here to start this very same thread.

The workmanship on the one I received today is horrible and it looks like a fifth grader did it in art class.

This case is a 100% rip off.

4. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. I just now fired these pictures off to Vaja. I'll update this post with any response I get.

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You actually paid $100 for a cell phone case? :confused:

6. xerikx macrumors regular

Let me know what they say so I know whether or not I'd be wasting my time with them.

7. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I'm not to sure why you guys are puzzled by a lack of quality

it's obvious that these cases were made in bulk.... otherwise you would have seen the same turn-around time as everyone else which is between 20-40 days from purchase....

8. xerikx macrumors regular

So you're saying that for $80 this is what you should get?

Wouldn't logic tell you from the delays they recently had they took people off of custom cases and moved them onto the project of creating a ready-made inventory of these?

9. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying the price is justified... all i'm saying is if a case like the ivolution dockable has a turn-around time of 20 days... I wouldn't excpect the same quality as one that is readily stocked.

Also if you look on their site you'll notice that it doesn't mention that the black and red LE is actually hand crafted...

The one justification I could see for the price is the fact that you're getting a VAJA case very quickly... as apposed to people who've waited 20-40 days for theirs...

10. xerikx macrumors regular

All of your reasoning is off base. Look at the other thread, you'll see they had backups and it's not exactly 20 days. If it wasn't hand crafted it'd probably look a lot better, you think they bought machines to put just these together? And you think not having to wait is justification for the same price? You have to wait because you custom designed yours.

11. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

its leather guys, it can't and won't always be perfect. I've heard nothing but good things about these cases so it is probably just a flaw in the tooling. just send it back and tell them you want two for your troubles haha jk.

12. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

13. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree leather cannot be perfect. However, when you are talking about leather applied to leather... with the lines not matching up... THAT can be controlled.

I'll take the two for one swap, haha!

14. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

have you never received a product that was machine made that had horrible build quality? wow you my friend are one lucky person...

I'm not saying that they purchased a machine just to punch these out.. they could have easily outsourced the production and just slapped them together to fullfill these orders...

I wouldn't even expect if they were hand made that they would be 100% perfect... that's the point of having a product that is hand made... that every single one is slightly different from the last... you just got the short-end of the stick...

basic supply and demand can solve your little pricing dilemma... a Person can sell an inferior product for the same price as a superior product given that the consumer is time sensitive and that there is sufficient demand... obviously there's sufficient demand.

I have not seen anyone else complain about the quality of VAJA cases besides people who've purchased their limited edition case that was shipped to them really quickly... therefore I can conclude that they're obviously using a different method of production for these cases..

15. ValientHimself macrumors member

Your logic is way off. When I first bought my iPhone, I ordered a Vaja Retro Slim bag which had a 20 day wait time. After a couple months of use, I decided the style of the case wasn't for me, so I ordered a LE White iVolution. The workmanship on the LE White case is so much better then what it was on the Slim bag. The stitching on the slim bag was off, and there was an odd depression in the material. My LE case on the other hand is flawless.

The reason the custom cases take 20-40 days to make is because they are CUSTOM. It's easy to build up an inventory of the LE cases, they can't do the same for custom cases.

16. xerikx macrumors regular

I actually can't believe people are coming in here and defending a company for charging $80 on a case where they can't even cut the leather in a straight line

17. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Wow, I was about to buy the same case for $80, but then I found out about the $20 shipping and that really turned me off.

I am pretty disappointed in Vaja after seeing these pics.

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+1 The photos are not characteristic of Vaja or handcrafted leather.

19. ValientHimself macrumors member

Just because there is one bad unit in a whole lot does not mean that it is a bad company. Look at all the people on these boards that whine about how one key on their macbook is slightly tilted in one direction, oh noes! That doesn't mean that Apple makes poor quality computers, and neither does this one messed up case mean that Vaja makes poorly made cases.

I agree that the unit that the op received is not of acceptable quality. However, my LE White is in perfect condition, and there are several other posts on these boards and elsewhere from people that have gotten their cases in excellent condition.

I also agree on the $20, but it is 3 day international shipping from Argentina, so it is at least somewhat understandable. I still think it should be more along the lines of $5 though, at most $10.

20. narjisse macrumors newbie

I received mine today and have similar issues like yours.
    The inner leather does not line up very well, at least not to my likings, and it is not pretty to look at it.
    I am considering to return my black & red LE.
    I previously bought White LE case from Vaja before and that case was very nicely made.
    I think they really rushed up making these cases to catch the high demands.

21. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your input. The reason I ordered this case is because of all the good reviews. I know that my experience should not mar the experiences of others. I actually could not wait to get an iphone when I first saw the Vaja website about a year ago. However, since this is my first experience with Vaja, it leaves a less than satisfactory taste in my mouth (or hand).

I just received an e-mail from Vaja customer care. I am to send the case back to them and await an exchange case.

22. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

Happily satisfied...

After sending my case back to Vaja Returns in Miami, I received a Fedex shipping confirmation almost immediately. Today I received the replacement case. This time the case is all of what I expected from the beginning. I am glad I returned the case... and very happy with the end result of my "Vaja experience."

Thanks everyone for your input.

Next case to arrive... the Incase Power Slider.

23. jcrmrr macrumors newbie

Hi,

How long did it take to receive the replacement case once you sent them the defective one? I just sent out mine today for an exchange because of similar problems. I'm really hoping that I don't have the same problem with the new case.

Thanks.

24. halfkorean thread starter macrumors newbie

On 11/26, I sent the defective case to Vaja returns in Miami. On 11/28, I received a Fedex shipment confirmation, and today, 12/3, I received it.

25. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I got a LE White case for Christmas, and it has the same quality issues as previous posters. There is a cut or leather coming up around the metal logo, and the leather looks pinched and stretched in places, and doesn't fit the phone well at all. I took pictures and will post as soon as my battery is charged.

Anyone have any luck returning theirs rather than exchanging? I'm pretty disappointed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]