Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Visly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
One more thing - i got laptop with US keyboard(of course)
and there is my rMBP with rMB close to close

i thinking about engraving with russian letters,but i typing without looking on keyboard,so it doesn't matter

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 131

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I doubt they will change the rMBP too much if at all. That's like saying the Air would affect the design of the rMBP... it didn't.

As i posted before. rMB is for casual users and those with 'new and shiny' to justify it as a main machine for a while.

The Air is a nice, better priced machine with ports,power and no retina to keep the costs down.

The rMBP is a no compromise work horse.

Also all Mac's are portable if you came from Windows at least at Pro levels.

Your all spoilt! :D

Nope, the Macbook airs will be discontinued within a few years and when Skylake and the smaller Thunderbolt 3 ports come out later this year they will redesign the retina Macbook pros (they will just be the macbook pros b/c the non-retina ones will be discontinued too) bringing all the tech from the new macbook (smaller keyboard, thinner monitor, force touch trackpad, etc) and so the new Macbook Pro 13" will essentially be the same size as the current Air 13", thus rendering its existence moot.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Nope, the Macbook airs will be discontinued within a few years and when Skylake and the smaller Thunderbolt 3 ports come out later this year they will redesign the retina Macbook pros (they will just be the macbook pros b/c the non-retina ones will be discontinued too) bringing all the tech from the new macbook (smaller keyboard, thinner monitor, force touch trackpad, etc) and so the new Macbook Pro 13" will essentially be the same size as the current Air 13", thus rendering its existence moot.

Source? There is a thread in the Air sub forum that suggests otherwise.

My rMBP is only 2 months old so i'm hanging onto it regardless of updates. I may grab a rMB when the price is right just for a try out. I spend more time on this section than any other.

Visly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
I think price of rMB will drop not soon
perhaps about 1 year-2 years

I dont understand what people waiting for ?
some CPU refresh? its now enough for simple tasks - its not machine for video coding
USB port?
oh no - it is not needed

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I think price of rMB will drop not soon
perhaps about 1 year-2 years

I dont understand what people waiting for ?
some CPU refresh? its now enough for simple tasks - its not machine for video coding
USB port?
oh no - it is not needed

Because people don't want to end up like the purchasers of the original 2008 MBA did in 2011 and beyond. "Hey, bought this machine a couple of years ago for $1800. Anyone buy it for $1200? A grand? Eight Hundred?"

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...

This sounds like a probably future vision. rMB design features will filter into other lines, creating MacBook Air like Pros. The rMB will become more capable with better CPU generations. I hadn't thought about the new, smaller, TB3 connector, but this it is quite possible that this could find its way in the next generation of rMB.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Source? There is a thread in the Air sub forum that suggests otherwise.

My rMBP is only 2 months old so i'm hanging onto it regardless of updates. I may grab a rMB when the price is right just for a try out. I spend more time on this section than any other.

No source, just what I think. I guess they could upgrade the airs with a retina screen and keep them as their mid-tier (?) notebook but I think they will become redundant and be discontinued. Prices will fall on the rMB and continue to fall on the rMBPs. If they use all the tech in the rMB in the rMBPs I'm sure they can get the 13" down to at least the same size/weight as the current 13" Air. So they will be left with the 12" MB for those who would buy the 11" air and favor portability over power. Then for those who would've bought the 13" air you can just buy the 13" Pro and if you want more power you can go for the 15".

Edit: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...might-be-planning-massive-overhaul-of-th.aspx Is that the article that you said they're discussing in the MBA forum? That article is just speculation and for the reasons listed above I don't think makes any sense. Right now the new MB still has a lot of teething issues in terms of not a lot of support for the USB-C, weak processor, lack of ports, high price, etc. but once they get all those corrected (maybe it'll take a 2nd version like the MBA), then it will be a stellar computer for light tasks and portability. For heavier tasks, there will be the MBPs.

Again, what would be the point of the MBA, even with a retina screen? The only reason I can think of is that Apple doesn't want to cannibalize sales of their best selling lineup of notebooks and preserve that cash cow, but Apple has been smart about cannibalizing their own products for better products before and I don't think they will change in the future.

Last edited:

Gav183

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Queensland
I have the same Macbook and I have found the battery to get a tiny bit better every day. Illusion or real? Dunno, BUT recently I read on some forums that Google Chrome is a bitch to the Macbook and is a big battery drainer. I've also experienced first hand choppy youtube experience using chrome but with Safari youtube is as per normal. I've gotten rid of Google Chrome from the new Mac. I'll keep it on the 15" rMBP though.

Anyone else notice the same?

Gav

TSloper74

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
No source, just what I think. I guess they could upgrade the airs with a retina screen and keep them as their mid-tier (?) notebook but I think they will become redundant and be discontinued. Prices will fall on the rMB and continue to fall on the rMBPs. If they use all the tech in the rMB in the rMBPs I'm sure they can get the 13" down to at least the same size/weight as the current 13" Air. So they will be left with the 12" MB for those who would buy the 11" air and favor portability over power. Then for those who would've bought the 13" air you can just buy the 13" Pro and if you want more power you can go for the 15".

Edit: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...might-be-planning-massive-overhaul-of-th.aspx Is that the article that you said they're discussing in the MBA forum? That article is just speculation and for the reasons listed above I don't think makes any sense. Right now the new MB still has a lot of teething issues in terms of not a lot of support for the USB-C, weak processor, lack of ports, high price, etc. but once they get all those corrected (maybe it'll take a 2nd version like the MBA), then it will be a stellar computer for light tasks and portability. For heavier tasks, there will be the MBPs.

Again, what would be the point of the MBA, even with a retina screen? The only reason I can think of is that Apple doesn't want to cannibalize sales of their best selling lineup of notebooks and preserve that cash cow, but Apple has been smart about cannibalizing their own products for better products before and I don't think they will change in the future.

The MBR does not fill the space occupied by the MBA in terms of performance. The MBR platform is fanless and because of that will always hit a very hard limit in terms of performance relative to fan based Core i designs. Intel will absolutely continue to enhance the performance given the small thermal envelop but there will be no magic that will give a fanless 4.5-6W TDP envelop the performance you will get in a chassis that has much better cooling capabilities. The MBR is great when you need something light weight and portable to do relatively light processing tasks but it cannot sustain any reasonable amount of performance in a heavy load situation. You need a system with active cooling to keep the sustained performance. I can't wait to see people putting speck shells on their MBR and then wondering why their machines don't seem "snappy" anymore ;)

Apple should absolutely add Retina to the MBA line. It doesn't need to be thinner or lighter. It just needs a quality LCD panel. The Pro line does not need any major enhancements either to the chassis or at least nothing that will decrease the battery capacity.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
The MBR does not fill the space occupied by the MBA in terms of performance. The MBR platform is fanless and because of that will always hit a very hard limit in terms of performance relative to fan based Core i designs. Intel will absolutely continue to enhance the performance given the small thermal envelop but there will be no magic that will give a fanless 4.5-6W TDP envelop the performance you will get in a chassis that has much better cooling capabilities. The MBR is great when you need something light weight and portable to do relatively light processing tasks but it cannot sustain any reasonable amount of performance in a heavy load situation. You need a system with active cooling to keep the sustained performance. I can't wait to see people putting speck shells on their MBR and then wondering why their machines don't seem "snappy" anymore ;)

Apple should absolutely add Retina to the MBA line. It doesn't need to be thinner or lighter. It just needs a quality LCD panel. The Pro line does not need any major enhancements either to the chassis or at least nothing that will decrease the battery capacity.

I agree with a lot of your points. But with time the Core M will improve with new architectures making it more useful, CPU performance needs hasn't been sky rocketing threw the roof hence Intels tick tock improvements since Sandy Bridge.

I would of bought the MBA years ago with they slapped on a 1080p or Retina Display panel but they never did, so I never bought one!

I think I'm the near future the MBA will be discontinued and forgotten, and the MacBook will get a second size, and the MBP will also get slimmer even tho I agree it's not needed!

Visly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
I have the same Macbook and I have found the battery to get a tiny bit better every day. Illusion or real? Dunno, BUT recently I read on some forums that Google Chrome is a bitch to the Macbook and is a big battery drainer. I've also experienced first hand choppy youtube experience using chrome but with Safari youtube is as per normal. I've gotten rid of Google Chrome from the new Mac. I'll keep it on the 15" rMBP though.

Anyone else notice the same?

Gav
Hm
my battery on 12 macbook has still 5- 6 hours

maybe its better to defuse the laptop and re-charge?
i will drop down it in 0% percent - and than recharge to 100%

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland

Yeah that's the article. I stand by my views on the range. The Air is a great go between. The 11" Air is a relative steal and its small too. I had a try out 11" and 13".

I am on my HP, it is not retina and i am coping fine. Doing as i do on my rMBP. Branding does a lot. I appreciate it when i use it tho. :) Pre gaming forum posting. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.