Received my Tough Armor & Slim Armor (6 Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Azzin, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

As per title,

Im just back from hols in Jamaica and my cases (and my phone!) were all waiting for me! :cool:

I'm just doing a restore on my 6 Plus to get it up and running, then I'll get some pictures taken with my 5S with it in each case.

2. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

My tough armor is coming in a few days. I'm curious on how the fit is.

3. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I have the Tough Armor w/ kickstand for my Plus with no Plus to go in it. I've always had Otterbox and will probably go back once their cases are available. I think this will do well in the meantime and may even win me over. It's not too bulky but seems to provide a fair amount of protection. I also think it looks real nice (I got the all black case to go with my Space Gray Plus). I'll put a glass screen protector on the front. With a phone this large I think I'll really like the kickstand, I tend to watch a fair amount of video on my lunch breaks.

4. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

I'm the same way. Only difference is I got the electric blue case.

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

If I'm honest, I think I'd like the Slim in Blue! :D

The kickstand is flimsy and I can't see me ever using it, but I'll see.

I like the red of the Slim, but I've now put the blue TA back on, I think because it almost feels like the TA I had on my 5S (which I thought was the best case I've ever had).

Then main difference is the front 'lay down lip', the TA has a slightly larger lip and just feels slightly more 'squared' than the red Slim, which is more 'rounded' if that makes sense?

Bottom line=I like both cases, so I may just keep them both!

I'll get some pix up as soon as I can.

6. syclick macrumors regular

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Sorry for the lack of pics, I did upload them to Photobucket, but it appears I'm out of bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Here you go...

Attached Files:

8. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Did you order from Spigen or Amazon? Also, how long did it take for you to receive them?

9. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Amazon UK for both cases.

I have Amazon Prime, so it was next day delivery for both.

I've just realised, I didn't put pictures up of the red slim... :eek:

After 24 hours or so, I feel that the blue TA offers better protection than the red slim.

That may be because I had a TA on my 5S, but I think the fact the Slim has rounded edges (and "feels" more slippery) plays a part in that.

Looking at that last pic of me holding the case doesn't make the phone look that big, so perhaps I've got bigger hands that I thought I had! :D

Attached Files:

10. Jizzles macrumors regular

How is the quality of the back and the kickstand? The reviews on Amazon were pretty negative about those.

11. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

The kickstand is flimsy, no 2 ways about it. Having said that, while it's 'in' it's fine and doesn't pop out or anything, but when you get it out, it has no set postition, it just comes out and is then free and you have to just put the phone down with the phone at the desired angle.

I couldn't really understand what people were saying about the rear, as it was a tough plastic section on my 5S TA, but on the 6 Plus it has a metallic 'effect'.

So whilst it's not a brushed steel back, it definitely has the ability to scratch much more easily then it's 5S little brother.

Comparison pic:

Attached Files:

12. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Seems like Amazon only has it shipped by Spigen. So would you recommend the TA or Slim? Also, is there a good grip when holding the phone?

13. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

As I mentioned, the TA feels safer in my hand (less likely to slip out) than the Slim.

The Slim feels 'shinier' than the TA, but that might just be due to the Slim's rounded edges and not the actual finish.

14. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

did you even put the phone in these cases? I saw that you put the Tough Armor offers a lot of lip compared to the other case. But as a person that has a Tough Armor case on my iphone 6 right now and don't see how that's possible. The Tough Armor case for the iphone 6 barely has any lip as it is, I'm 100% positive if this phone lands face first it's Game Over. Last years version offered way more front lip protection compared to this years version.

15. AE14 macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, how is the lip on the TA, and can you use it without the silly, flimsy kickstand?

16. Azzin, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

The lip is ok, although I would say it doesn't appear to be as deep as my 5S TA and it only appears to be marginally better than the Slim.

[Edit] - Re kickstand, you can totally use it, it stays in situ in it's recess and doesn't come out by itself, so you can just pretend it's not there!

It's when you release it that it's flimsy (i.e it has nothing holding it, so you have to kind of release it, place the iPhone in the position you want, then angle the kickstand to suit.

The issue I see is if you've got it say on a desk on the kickstand, if you knocked the desk gently, because the kickstand is not rigid, the phone would flop.

Not a great issue, but if the kickstand had some way of sitting solidly in the position you choose, that wouldn't happen.

Does that make sense?

17. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Does the case feel slippery at all, especially the edges (sides)?

18. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Does this case have the button issues that the Neo Hybrid has?

19. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

No button issues for me with either case.

----------

The Slim does, the blue TA not so much.

20. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Nice thanks for the reply. about to order the slim armor right now..

21. posnera macrumors regular

Is the TA much bulkier than the SA? Any chance of side by side pics? Thanks.

22. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm ordering the TA today...thanks for the input guys.

23. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Amazon prices are much better.

24. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

The reviews I saw on YouTube all said the TA is just barely bigger than the Slim. I bought the TA and I think it's the perfect balance of protection and size.

25. syclick macrumors regular

Thanks for the posts! I've been considering these two cases.

One quick question: How much clearance does the lip/rim of the case give the screen? I've dropped my phone face-first a number of times in the last two years, and my Speck Candyshell has enough screen clearance that nothing ends up hitting the screen.