Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvalancheX999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my MacBook Air with OS X Yosemite installed. I also have upgraded my iPhone 5S to iOS 8.0. Now, I am testing some continuity features that Apple announced at WWDC last week, such as continuing working on draft emails etc. The one thing that doesn't work right now is the feature to receive phone calls on the desktop.

Does anyone know how to enable this feature? Or is this feature not implemented yet in this DP1/Beta1 release?

Thanks!

Nanis

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Yes it works, receive only, couldn't send yet, just make sure that your mac is connected at the bluetooth settings in your iOS 8.0, if it shows up in bluetooth but not connected then phone calls will not work, Actually i just received a call now and talked through my MBP , was perfect.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It appears to work for some and not others as you can see here. I have had limited success.

First you must have bluetooth active on both devices for any of this to work. Second (and not positive) you need to use the same iCloud ID on both devices. Third, on the Mac under Settings / General / under Safari, Allow Handoff. Not sure if the third item is only related to Safari.

I paired my iPhone with my Mac in Bluetooth Settings.

My Mac Mini is working better then my MacBook Air.

I really have nothing more but there are a lot of treads on this subject.

DennischNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Not sure why BT-LE would be needed since according to Apple it will be over WiFi.:confused:

If BT-LE is needed then this will eliminate a lot if not most Mac users.
And think about what Apple say in the keynote, if your phone is on the charger in your bedroom. What if you are in the garden with your macbook, you have no bluetooth connection anymore because of the distance. So i think it's working over WiFi and your iCloud account...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
And think about what Apple say in the keynote, if your phone is on the charger in your bedroom. What if you are in the garden with your macbook, you have no bluetooth connection anymore because of the distance. So i think it's working over WiFi and your iCloud account...

Let me help you.;)

Apple.com

"...And if your iPhone rings while it’s charging in the bedroom, you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network..."

"...Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room....

If my iPhone is in my bedroom it will NOT connect by BT to my Mac (too far). It HAS to be (and Apple says so) WiFi.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I sure hope you're right about this. I can't see why it wouldn't be designed work over WiFi.

Last edited:

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I've found easy setup for handover is bluetooth turned on on mac and iPhone (no need to pair devices) go to settings --> General and tick the allow handoff box as pictured below I have this setup and can make and recieved calls and text from mac
attachment.php

darthjames

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2014
Handoff for documents, (mail, messages, etc) works for me, however I've yet to recieve a phonecall on my mac, nor can I send it.

I have a late 2013 rMBP 10.10 and an iPhone 5s w/ 8.0

Bluetooth pairing doesnt work very well on it. Hopefully it's corrected in DP2

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I've got a lot of Apple hardware that i use and haven't seen all of the Continuity stuff work great yet. SMS stuff works really really well. i get fails when trying to make calls, and I've never seen calls come through. In my bluetooth settings I see a generic "iOS Device" in bluetooth settings, but I haven't paired them directly yet. Everything with SMS though has just plain worked.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Not being a developer I cannot confirm this, but my understanding is that handoff is a different feature from the receiving phone calls and thus support can be handled very different. It’s very possible that the phone call feature has nothing to do with Bluetooth LE but the Handoff does. When they were pitched, they came off as different things although similar in some respects.

The phone call answering seems like something that you don’t pick up on one device from another - calls exist at the same time until they are answered and then it’s kept to once device.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I've got a lot of Apple hardware that i use and haven't seen all of the Continuity stuff work great yet. SMS stuff works really really well. i get fails when trying to make calls, and I've never seen calls come through. In my bluetooth settings I see a generic "iOS Device" in bluetooth settings, but I haven't paired them directly yet. Everything with SMS though has just plain worked.

Are you sure its generic. If you try to remove a bluetooth device that it has automatically picked up through your iCloud id, it won't let you.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Not being a developer I cannot confirm this, but my understanding is that handoff is a different feature from the receiving phone calls and thus support can be handled very different. It’s very possible that the phone call feature has nothing to do with Bluetooth LE but the Handoff does. When they were pitched, they came off as different things although similar in some respects.

The phone call answering seems like something that you don’t pick up on one device from another - calls exist at the same time until they are answered and then it’s kept to once device.

There's Continuity which is presence updates, and Handoff which is current application state transfer based. Both have the same goal but different types of interpretations of it.

----------

Are you sure its generic. If you try to remove a bluetooth device that it has automatically picked up through your iCloud id, it won't let you.

I haven't messed with it that deeply, but my MacBook Pro is new and none of the three iOS devices I use for work have been paired to it.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
There's Continuity which is presence updates, and Handoff which is current application state transfer based. Both have the same goal but different types of interpretations of it.

That’s what I was getting at. I think that the phone answering/SMS feature is based on continuity and not handoff given that this page separates handoff and those other features. If they are separate features, they probably have different requirements.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
We'll see. I want someone that doesn't have BlueTooth 4.0 in their Mac say the can make/receive calls on their Yosemite Mac before I believe that.

Again, I think you are confusing document hand off with iPhone/Mac continuity.

1) At Keynote Federighi said: paraphrase (You can make and receive calls even if your iPhone is in the bedroom charging). BT can't do this.

2) Apple.com-Yosemite "...you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network..."

3) Apple.com-iOS8 "...Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room. Or it’s buried in your backpack. But your Mac or iPad is sitting right there. Now you can make and receive phone calls on those devices as long as your iPhone running iOS 8 is on the same Wi-Fi network...."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.