Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andijames

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Manchester, UK
When it's complete i think it will use a mix of both BTLE along with Wifi. At the moment it appears the BT implementation is more stable than the Wifi but that will be rectified before release.

Why use both? Well BTLE uses less power i'm guessing so that will be the primary method of communication but if that is not available then it will 'locate' your other iDevices over the same wifi network.

The wifi has been shocking on these new builds (both iOS and OS X) so i presume it has something to do with the work they're doing on the wifi stack for these future features.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Again, I think you are confusing document hand off with iPhone/Mac continuity.

1) At Keynote Federighi said: paraphrase (You can make and receive calls even if your iPhone is in the bedroom charging). BT can't do this.

2) Apple.com-Yosemite "...you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network..."

3) Apple.com-iOS8 "...Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room. Or it’s buried in your backpack. But your Mac or iPad is sitting right there. Now you can make and receive phone calls on those devices as long as your iPhone running iOS 8 is on the same Wi-Fi network...."

Maybe you could follow the replies in the thread Handoff/Continuity Working on Any Non BT-4.0 Macs? and see if either theory is right.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Maybe you could follow the replies in the thread Handoff/Continuity Working on Any Non BT-4.0 Macs? and see if either theory is right.

I can only cite what Apple says and take their word on faith. Why do you think Apple is openly lying on multiple fronts about calls over WiFi?

At this point Continuity (and even Handoff) are WAY less than ½ baked, so there is little point in trying to determine how it works since reports are all over the map. In all likely hood it will be at lest a couple of more builds before any definitive pattern can be ascertained.

bookalon

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Kells, Ireland
just updated to the new beta and 3 calls with FaceTime to none FaceTime numbers, just switched on bluetooth and made the call- perfect

I'm running a 5S and a mid 2012 MB pro

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I can only cite what Apple says and take their word on faith. Why do you think Apple is openly lying about calls over WiFi?

At this point Continuity (and even Handoff) are WAY less than ½ baked, so there is little point in trying to determine how it works since reports are all over the map. In all likely hood it will be at lest a couple of more builds before any definitive pattern can be ascertained.

I just had the popup on my Mac for the first time after installing DP2 today.

uPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
When I was on iOS Beta 2 and DP1, I got the notification on my mac when I received phone calls but when I hit accept, nothing happened.

On iOS Beta 2 and DP2 I don't even get the notification on my mac anymore.

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
When I was on iOS Beta 2 and DP1, I got the notification on my mac when I received phone calls but when I hit accept, nothing happened.

On iOS Beta 2 and DP2 I don't even get the notification on my mac anymore.

Exactly the same here Using late 2013 mbproR and iPhone 5S on iOS 8 and DP2

DennischNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Got it worked on my Mac Mini 2012, turned bluetooth off on my iPhone 5S. Texts sending to my girlfriend work fine. But when i do this on my Macbook Late 2011, it doesn't work anymore :(
So, it's not bluetooth related? I had no bluetooth on on my iPhone..

DennischNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Good news! Rebooted my iPhone 5S and now i can send sms texts with my Macbook Pro Late 2011. The call function doesn't work for now, it's a beta tho. Seems that it's gonna work with iCloud&WiFi :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.