• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, it was observed that Apple's retail stores were running short of iPod shuffle units, leading to speculation about whether the shortages were just a temporary blip in Apple's supply chain management or if they were a sign of an impending discontinuation of the diminutive music player. The iPod shuffle's only updates since September 2010 have been occasional changes to color options, opening the door to questions and speculation about the device's fate.

ipod_shuffle_lineup.jpg
According to Billboard, however, the iPod shuffle shortages are indeed just a temporary issue related to component supplies.
Rather than being discontinued, however, sources with knowledge of the situation tell Billboard that Apple is actually going thorough component supplier changes that have interrupted production of the Shuffle.

Apple declined to comment.
Supplies of the iPod shuffle remain tight, with Apple's online stores generally quoting shipping estimates of 7-10 business days for all colors. Some of the company's retail stores do have stock of some colors, but many others show the device as unavailable with Apple offering to have units shipped to the stores for customer pickup.

As the iPod market has declined with customers opting to use smartphones for their music needs, Apple's investments in the family have declined and product cycles have lengthened. As a result, it is unclear what Apple's longer-term plans are for the future of the iPod, particularly the iPod shuffle and iPod nano that are more limited in their capabilities than the iOS-based iPod touch.

Article Link: Recent iPod Shuffle Shortages Due to Supplier Changes, Not Imminent Discontinuation

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Sounds like a lot of people didn't get the Apple device they *really* wanted for Christmas... :p

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm glad, I still think there is a market for a iPod Shuffle/Nano device.

I don't want to use my iPhone 6 when running or working out. And sometimes it's nice to just have a simple music device.

Comment

Supermule

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
If only this had had a radio. Still a great product for running.

Comment

satchmo

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If only this had had a radio. Still a great product for running.

Yeah, this is still my go to device for running.

Physical buttons that require no looking still have a place in this world. Which is probably why the older gen Nanos were and still are popular with athletes.

And, yes, wish they threw in a tiny fm receiver.

Comment

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
no reason they couldn't sell this piece of junk with a screen at the same price these days. and wtf is the nano capped at 16gb for:rolleyes:

Comment

Barrierfreeman

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
I love my Shuffle, but it hurts my brain that Apple get away with charging the same price, several years later, for a 2GB player.

At least throw us a bone, and stick 4GB in for the same price you cheeky so-and-sos.

Comment

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Actually ordered one Wednesday after seeing that story -- Apple quoted 2-3 weeks but just emailed that it's available for pickup today.

Comment

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's good. Though, uses for the shuffle are still extremely limited. I still contend that it's one of the better Apple devices for music in the car (though I've been able to replace that functionality with my iPod touch and will probably be looking to replace that functionality with an iPad mini and a car-mount down the road). Still, good to see it's got a little life left in it yet. It's not like Apple really needs to do anything in terms of redesigning. Though a 4GB option and a battery that provides the kind of battery life that the second generation iPod shuffle did would be welcome.

Yay! The iPod line lives, people! :D

I doubt for all that much longer. Though again, out of all the iPods, the shuffle requires the least amount of effort to maintain and they could, in theory, keep selling it forever.

Last edited:
Comment

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You would think the iPod would always remain in their line up. After all, Apple always touts how music is in their DNA.

They say that music is in their DNA, not music players. They are already positioning the iPhone to carry that tradition in place of the iPods in their current marketing materials. Also, it's not like the iTunes store is in any danger of ceasing the sales of digital music.

Comment

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
I love my Shuffle, but it hurts my brain that Apple get away with charging the same price, several years later, for a 2GB player.

At least throw us a bone, and stick 4GB in for the same price you cheeky so-and-sos.

I predict a Shuffle that is thinner than the current one (for absolutely no reason), doesn't have as good battery life (even though they'll make claims to the contrary), and with EarPods soldered to it that you can't disconnect — you either have to have Apple service it or just buy a new Shuffle.

Comment

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
no reason they couldn't sell this piece of junk with a screen at the same price these days. and wtf is the nano capped at 16gb for:rolleyes:

Putting a screen on it would ruin it. The only benefit to the shuffle is the physical buttons so you can change songs without looking at the device.

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Come on Apple, let's get a price reduction going here for the Shuffle. They are neat little devices. But the price is outrageous. The Nano at $149 is actually even more outrageous to me. Time to right size these prices and actually capture a bit more in sales from the corner of the Apple stores where these devices sit largely ignored.

Comment

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm glad, I still think there is a market for a iPod Shuffle/Nano device.

I don't want to use my iPhone 6 when running or working out. And sometimes it's nice to just have a simple music device.

I think there should just be a singular iPod audio product at this point for fitness. I think they're aiming the Apple Watch for that purpose though. But a single device that is a hybrid of the Nano and the Shuffle probably still has a place on the shelves. Something that clips on, can be navigated blindly but also has bluetooth and a touch screen to search for tracks and is high capacity. Also should be smaller than the Nano... somewhere between the Nano and the Shuffle. Just my thoughts... on shuffle. :p

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think there should just be a singular iPod audio product at this point for fitness. I think they're aiming the Apple Watch for that purpose though. But a single device that is a hybrid of the Nano and the Shuffle probably still has a place on the shelves. Something that clips on, can be navigated blindly but also has bluetooth and a touch screen to search for tracks and is high capacity. Also should be smaller than the Nano... somewhere between the Nano and the Shuffle. Just my thoughts... on shuffle. :p

I agree. The last generation Nano (with the built on clip) was perfect to me.

Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Minor aesthetic griping about shuffles and similarly colorful iPods: the button labels are gray instead of matching the device color. I don't know why, but that always irked me. Here's a completely necessary comparison GIF depicting my preference:

o64exQ3.gif

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.