Recent Skype update (multitask support) and jailbreak problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmmo20, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hello,
    I haven't read anything lately regarding the problem jailbroken phones have when runinng the last Skype update, in regards to multitasking and background support.

Are there any news?
    Is it due to mobile substrate?
    I'm just curious since I haven't seen any talk about this..

thanks

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I haven't heard of that many problems with this version, but it's not unlike skype. I'm not sure what they have against jailbreakers but they do seem to go the extra mile to be difficult. If there is another problem it'll most likely have something to do with mobilesubstrate (not that it's mobilesubstrate's fault, its skype causing it to behave incorrectly).

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The only thing I have heard is it being a huge memory hog after the update and the was coming from an iphone 4 user.

EDIT: Just rechecked it and it was a memory hog but a battery hog.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm not sure about the issue you're talking about but I found Skype to be a huge battery hog on my iphone 4. I used it on Thursday night for a bit and forgot that the app was running in my task bar or whatever they call the multitasking thingy:confused:. My battery was draining pretty quickly yesterday and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered that I had used Skype the night before. I went into the task bar and shut it down manually and the battery drain stopped. It's a shame that we can't leave it running like that because that's the only way that you can receive incoming calls via Skype.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Mine doesn't seem to background / save state so...

6. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

the problem is that background doesn't work on jailbroken phones.
    when you hit the home button on a jailbrokwn iphone running skype, the daemon is actually killed and so you are not kept online.

if you're on a call, and hit the home button, the red skype bar appears on top of the spring board, but then it disappears and the whole SB crashes.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I never use it so I just noticed. 3gs Jb and it will not background, Tried to reinstall and it didn't help.

8. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

i will try on a freshly jailbroken iphone to see if this happens.
    if it works fine, then I will try mobile substrate on safe mode.

i remember mobilesubstrate had serious issues when Skype first come out

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

And if it is a problem it might be a while before you see a fix. Saurik has been overloaded with work lately. I know a some developers that have been waiting a bit to even get their app approved for cydia.

10. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

on a freshly jailbroken iphone the same issue occurs..
    I simply had the FS jailbroken and Cydia installed. Nothing else.

11. cwtbe macrumors newbie

12. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

yep that's the post where I learnt about this issue.
    But they haven't been any further comments on the issue so I thought about creating this thread just for the JB issue.

I tried to get this to MuscleNerd, Saurik and the whole dev-team attention through twitter.. but I don't know how successful will I be :) or if they can spare any time for this issue when they're working so hard trying to get the new jailbreak out!

13. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

Has anyone managed to figure out the solution to this issue in the past week?

I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 (hoping to use it for carrier unlock) and the Skype issue came up after I restarted the app and it warned me it didn't work on jailbroken phones. Not that I'm entirely sure I tried multitasking before that...

14. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually what the message says is that Skype won't give you tech support if you are using their app in a jailbroken iphone.

15. ZenoVT macrumors regular

Mine doesn't even give me the warning and it doesn't stay on after I hit the home button.

16. Crispix macrumors newbie

Removing mobilesubstrate makes Skype normal again for me, with multitasking working fine on my iPhone 4.

From reading some other forums, there are reports that mobilesubstrate does not work well with "fast switching" applications like Skype. There are some work-arounds with Backgrounder, at the expense of some battery life.

17. us44ever macrumors newbie

Issue now resolved with an update to mobile substrate in Cydia

18. oceanhug macrumors newbie

Skype multitasking partially working on iPod Touch 2G

I have an iPod Touch 2G, iOS 4.0, jailbroken via jailbreakme.com and having multitasking manually enabled by editing the plist.

I don't have MobileSubstrate installed.

Multitasking in Skype works partially for me. I can successfully quit the app during a call and it'll keep the call active and show the red banner on top. However, I cannot stay logged in in the background and will not get any notifications about incoming calls or IMs.

So MobileSubstrate doesn't seem to be the only problem involved here.