Recently jailbroke... Not impressed (can change)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneuser47, May 10, 2010.

1. iphoneuser47 macrumors newbie

I jailbroke yesterday, and I've been yet to be impressed.
    Are there any packages/sources that I'm missing out on?
    What's something I can install and just make my friends go "Woah!"
    Anything cool or useful? Such as themes?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're basing this on just jailbreaking? It's all about the apps and themes and you haven't got any.

SBSettings, Backgrounder, Kirikae, Winterboard (pick a theme…I have Vivid), and MyWi.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Cydia...but I guess you haven't discovered what it is yet.

Keep looking.

I am curious, OP, what do you think jailbreak was going to do?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Winterboard, backgrounder, 3gunrestrictor, sbsettings, catagories, 5 icon dock, bitesms, just look through cydia. Find the stuff you need, and what you'd like to customize. I couldn't go back to standard os. Hopefully they can jb 4.0 relitively quickly when it comes out. I don't like apple and AT&T parameters.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Do a search on youtube for cydia apps/tweaks. You'll get some good ideas and see the apps/tweaks in action as well to see whether you really want it. I personally would not own an iphone if I can't jailbreak it.

7. iphoneuser47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have illumine, sbsettings, a buncha nintendo emulators with roms, installous, 3g unrestrictor, proswitcher w/ backgrounder obviously, categories (very unintuitive app btw), mobile terminal, and ifile... I tried kirikae!!! But it's annoying because it doesn't work in conjuction w/ backgrounder like proswitcher does... I chose double tap to activate kirikae, but it doesn't background my app. Am I missing something???? :( (btw any more recommendations would be great) :)

8. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

so what about them does not impress you? It allows you to do sooo much more. I thought kirikae does allow backgrounding? Its made by the same devs as backgrounder isnt it? Regardless, it was nice but I prefer the interface of proswitcher.

My favorite app thus far has been Lockinfo inconjunction with the MobileMe Lockstyle(HTC) theme.
    [​IMG]

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Kirikae is just an app switcher. For backgrounding, I use Backgrounder to set what apps can be backgrounded. I only have a 3G. I couldn't stand proswitcher, basically for how it was opened (I forget why). Kirikae I open by holding my finger on the status bar for a second and letting go.

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

he said he had backgrounder though.

And in the proswitcher settings you can switch it so its activated the same way as you have kirikae now.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

And none of this stuff impresses you?

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

you need overboard and 500 pages of cracked apps if you want to truly WOAH! your friends

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

hey guys i got the appstore. um what do i do with it?

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get stuff.

15. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

haha! :D

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Best thing to do with a jailbroken iphone is sell it. Wait and buy an EVO, than your friends will go 'WOAH'!

17. rkswat macrumors regular

Yeah, that's it.... do that.

Why do you want a phone so your friends will say "woah"? How about you get/use a phone to make yourself go woah?

That being said a few things.... Use Rock app over Cydia. It keeps track of your apps and will re-download them if you have to restore. Plus it's faster and better UI IMHO.

Next look around and try things out. If you like it cool, if you don't get rid of it.

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

The idea of a phone making your friends go WHOA is.. amusing, but still I doubt the HTC EVO will do that when compared against the iPhone HD/4G.

You can compare the HTC EVO to the iPhone 3GS, but the EVO isn't released yet (Summer 2010) and the 3GS is almost 1 year old now. We'll see how current generation hardware matches current generation hardware once they're released.

The biggest problem for me when looking at Android phones is this: Where are the software updates for the HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G), HTC Hero, and other "forgotten" phones? The first generation iPhone received up to date software to 3.1.x (being left out of 4.0) while the others have been left behind to 1.5 or 1.6 while the latest version is 2.1.

No thank you. I want support for my devices after purchase not "buy another phone" to get software updates. Apple might be doing a lot wrong, but at least they've gotten the software mostly right.

19. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

yeah, but doen't rock cause a lot of issues for users? It seems people around here prefer to not have it on their phone because it can cause lots of crashes.

20. rkswat macrumors regular

My phone doesn't crash and I use both Rock and Cydia. I prefer Rock but to each his own.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Rock has had issues with log files taking all the space on the iPhone. Anyway, I use PkgBackup to keep track of my apps from Cydia.