Recently upgraded iMac but do not notice performance increase?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tears2040, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tears2040 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 2010 base model iMac i3 3.06ghz to 2011 base model iMac i5 2.5ghz. I mean the computer runs fine but my main problem is still converting and compressing hd files.

I think my strong belief is I need an internal ssd hard Drive and a faster external hard drive than a firewire 800 drive......

Any opinions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

3. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the Help, but I mainly use my computer for converting and exporting Hd video files.

The computer runs perfect, but I really don't notice a big increase over my previous iMac, which is why I am starting to think that the hard Drive might be the bottle neck?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And you've verified that you're not maxing out your RAM during that process?

5. philipma1957, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you can get good speed
    read this link

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280118

these lacie drives would work for you. I can teach you how to mod them up you could have a pair of them with samsung ssds and your speed issues would be fixed.

a unit 128gb unit can be built for about 650 a 512gb unit can be built for about 1000

the poster above me has a valid ram question. look at my thumbnail on the memory used I have 0 page outs.

that is good no ram issues.

if you are 10 percent say 10gb page in 1 gb page out bumping to 16gb ram may fix the issue.

ram is low cost.

even 8gb sticks are getting to a good price point.

If you do a big job and the monitor on memory use shows 11gb ram in use 500mb ram free most likely a boost to 16gb may be your fix. cost is lower then buying the lacies

Attached Files:

6. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ram is not the problem as I have 12gbs and there is always at least 6gbs free with 0 page outs.

I know Lacie sells an external thunderbolt bolt drive for about $399 that in theory should be faster than a firewire 800 external drive. Also My cpu usage goes to about 65-85% when converting and exporting files so maybe this base model iMac is not the good cpu wise?

Just really trying to figure out where's the problem and how I can speed my work up.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You barely bought yourself an upgrade is the problem. You gained 300MHz on 4-threads. Yes the i5 is "true" quad core and the i3 is 2+2 Hyperthreads. But on multithreaded video crunching you will gain very little.
    If you really want to feel the upgrade you need an i7 or a faster clocked i5.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

look at Activity Monitor during conversion/compression and verify what's limiting you first. you'll want to look at both cpu usage and disk activity. run the entire thing on your internal hd if possible, just so you can monitor it in AM.

9. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

Completely understand, thing is it cost me less than $100 to upgrade to this new version as I sold my previous iMac. I sold my iMac for $800 and bought this iMac for about $900.

Looking at system activity my cpu is around 65-85% but the disk activity is peaking in the red while reading and writing data to an external firewire 800 drive.

10. philipma1957, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

this may be true, but to the op I had a mac pro hex with 3.2 ghz cpu. I did a long thread on the mod in the mac pro section of this site. It would convert at 70 percent cpu use for all 12 threads the six real and the virtual.

it would also do a handbrake conversion of the movie big buck bunny in 5 minutes. it was a 12 minute movie my point is my mac mini server with a quad core 2.0 i7 does it in 7 minutes. I have read that the iMac core that the op has does not support hyper threading. If that is true then the op needs a better cpu.

I will look for the thread on big buck bunny. then the op can test his conversion speed. if he can't do it in 7 minutes or 8 minutes he needs a better cpu. I.E. a new iMac since cpus don't upgrade diy

here it is.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1111126&highlight=big+buck+bunny

now this affects encode time.

for export you need to get a faster external and the only thing on the market is the lacie little disk or the promise pegasus.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Hyperthreading or not the OP had 4 Threads at 3GHZ and traded to 4 Threads at 2.5-3.3GHz depending on core use. If all storage remained the same on the FW800 bus then the "upgrade" will feel pretty null. Not a fan of LaCie at all. Too many dead units with power problems. I keep 5 LaCie power supply's around for this issue. The only thing they have to do is make a case and they do not make very good cases. I have 80.00 externals from WD that have lasted 6 years or more. No LaCie's have made it past 3. My 2 cents.

12. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrade was only a $100 and I received warranty for another year. I mainly did it for the price, warranty , better graphics card and to have thunderbolt. Hopefully I can upgrade to an external thunderbolt drive or internal ssd and get better performance.

Thanks

13. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I know my average speed in handbrake? I just did the test right now, but where do I find that information?

14. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

You really should spend a bit of time looking at your activity monitor as you're processing, and tell us what it says (particularly CPU and disk activity). Also, consider running a geekbench test, to make sure your computer isn't abnormally slow.

15. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

16. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

i looked at scores for your machine and 7200 to 7400 is normal.

I can tell that score is not as fast as my mac mini server I get 8300 to 8500 for 32 bit.

mac server can do the handbrake test for the 12 min movie in 7 minutes.

your machine is going to be slower 9 or 10 minutes maybe 11 minutes . if you run the handbrake on the big buck bunny with the standards suggested just use a watch and time it from the beginning to the end. I am guessing it will be 9 minutes and 30 seconds. If that is the case you just can't speed the machine up very much at all. you need a machine with a better cpu.

----------

I use my own power supplies these are the best quality for the money here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEAN-WELL-S...ltDomain_0&hash=item1e686af8e5#ht_4159wt_1165

this will run 2 units far better quality then lacie

17. toxic macrumors 68000

numbers, colors dont mean anything.