Recommend a good single-player FPS

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Thunderbird8, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Hi

Looking for a recommendation for a good FPS to be played on the Mac or quite happily under Bootcamp on Vista. I'm looking for a game that provides the best single-player 'campaign' experience as I won't be playing multi-player.

I already have Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway which I enjoy very much. I have read a lot about COD4 but the consensus is the single player campaign is way too short??

Is it worth the current £18 for that?

All opinions gratefully received.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

COD4 is short but it depends on the difficulty level that you are playing at - unless you are really good at FPS games. Have you got something against playing it online?

3. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Well, not really... I guess I like the style of playing 'the story' out and to be honest I am probably not 'serious' a gamer enough to do well online against the young bucks.

One of the reasons I like BIA is the tactical element and that it isn't all at 100mph.

4. waiwai macrumors regular

Single Player experience?

I would recommend Half Life 2. The story is fantastic and it will definitely keep you occupied because there are expansions to the story with Episode 2 pack :)

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

For OS X, not much. CoD4 is very fun but also short. If you're Bootcamping, then Half Life 2 (+ Episode One, Episode Two), Bioshock, F.E.A.R isn't bad, CoD World At War if you really want more CoD, erm... DOOM 3 is fun if you like Id's style of games. And it's a bit older but Serious Sam and Serious Sam The Second Encounter (not Serious Sam 2, it's awwwful) are fun and hilarious as well.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Although CoD4 is short, I still recommend it. The SP storyline is superb including a very epic part, and gameplay is top notch. If you're only going SP only then it's not worth paying full price for honestly. But yeah get it...anyway you can...

Half-Life 2, Ep1, Ep2 are definitely games you should get. If you're a best buy rewards zone member, you can pick up the Orange Box (which includes two other games Portal and Team Fortress 2 including those HL2 games I listed above) for $10, granted you can find it in stock. Expires 3/15 so I suggest grabbing it. I have attached the coupon.

That coupon also works for Crysis and Crysis Warhead (making them $10 each too), both offering GREAT SP experiences. I find Warhead to run better on my 2.0 alu MB, not great but ~20-25FPS. I like it but wish it ran at a steady 30FPS.. the weapons and customization are awesome.

I just re-read your post, not sure what you're running it on (Mac Pro?) if so get Crysis. You like tactical, there you have it. The nano suit allows for various ways to attack an open situation, stealth, all out muscles etc. Adding scopes/suppressor attachments etc also bump up gameplay. if your machine can run it, $10 is a steal for either games. Warhead is a standalone pack, it's a bit shorter than Crysis 1 but it is better optimized to run on more PC's since it was released a year later. If you only want one and want to get the best bang for your buck in SP, get the first Crysis as long as you're sure your mac/bootcamp can handle it. 10-12hrs gameplay for Crysis and 6-8 for Warhead is the consensus. More or less depending on your play style.

Check bestbuy.com for inventory in your area.

Attached Files:

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There are no Best Buy Stores in the UK yet.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

XP:

Half Life series without any shadow of a doubt. Doom 1-3 (3 being just 'ok'). Quake 4, Prey. UT3 has an okay singleplayer mode too. Bioshock, Fallout 3 (FPS, RPG etc).

10. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

Stalker is all you'll ever need. It combines FPS, RPG and Horror and puts you in chernobyl. Best game ever (except for cossacks)

11. animaxcg macrumors regular

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

dammit, missed the fact he was in the UK. blah

13. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

If you can install windows to play HL 1 & 2.... this would be your game... You'lll just love the story.

14. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Thanks everyone for their help so far...I am on a Mac Pro which runs Vista 64 Pro like a dream so windows games are no problem.

I prefer 'human' enemies than aliens and don't really like the 'end of level boss' type scenario, and yes, I do prefer an element of tactics and stealth rather than just trigger-pumping. That's why I like BIA, and why I liked Goldeneye and Perfect Dark back in the day!

15. Supaklaw macrumors regular

2nd that suggestion of STALKER shadow of chernobyl (Clear Sky is the sequel, and is a bit harder but more polished but less atmospheric)

16. roacch macrumors newbie

Halflife 2

Pretty much the only single player FPS I played all the way through three times in a row...discovering new things with each pass.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

Am I the only one that didn't like Half Life? I just never got into it.

18. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

You could also try Splinter Cell on PC...... or Metal Gear Solid series on PS1/PS2/PS3 ...

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I think you basically have it answered you should def play CoD4. There is a really really great stealth mission, and overall great polish and gameplay.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No One Lives Forever is older but a really fun spy game. YOu can choose to go stealth or gun it for most of the missions.

If you go stealth, you can hear funny conversations of baddies.

All games have some kind of end of level boss, be it some abnormally strong character or waves of enemy.

21. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Well, so far COD 4 Modern Warfare looks like a favourite, as does half-life. Crysis I also heard good things about.

22. waiwai macrumors regular

too bad the game is so poorly optimized that it takes a beast machine to run it smoothly...

23. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

For Stealth/Tactics, the Rainbow Six series is very good, especially the older ones. Vegas 2 is a little more run 'n' gun, but there are still some tactical elements to it.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

COD4 is pretty good.

Crysis do involve some aliens but it's a pretty good game, except for the high system requirement.

HL2 is very well liked.

There might be a promo with BestBuy for some of these games.

25. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

100%

Hands down the best single player FPS ever.