Recommend a macbook pro cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lurrego, Mar 2, 2011.

1. lurrego macrumors member

I will soon be the proud owner of my very first macbook pro (status changed to "prepared for shipment" just moments ago!), and I'm interested in seeing if anyone would recommend a good cover for it. I already have a good case to take it in, but I'm looking for something I can keep on the laptop as I use it to prevent scratches if I were to put it on rocky surfaces for example, etc etc. It is the 2011 MBP 15in btw

2. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I did a lot of research into this and to cut a long story short the hard cases were a mixed bag. The issue of dirt getting under them and causing scratches is a big one. Seemingly only resolved by removing the cases and cleaning regularly. This regular removal and fitting in itself increases the risk of damaging the case or your laptop.

I ended up going with some no risk scratch protection and will make sure I am careful about knocks.
    http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-macbook-pro-17-inch-2nd-gen-cases-covers-skins-shields.php

3. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

I just purchased a wrapsol case online (there is a 30% off discount code on their twitter that I found, I can't access it at work right now otherwise I'd tell you what it is). I read alot of reviews and found that the wrapsol case leaves the macbook pro looking as natural as possible, the zagg invisible shield and other products make the macbook look shiney.

I will say however that the customer service has been very unsatisfying and unhelpful. Here's my story if you care to read it (I'm more or less ranting since I'm frustrated by the customer service, so feel free to read if you have some spare time):

Wrapsol had posted a 35% discount code on their facebook page I saw Feb 25, and I commented asking if it would still be good on Monday once my macbook pro arrived in the mail. The rep said yes Monday would be fine and that the code would expire at the end of the month. When my computer arrived on Monday I went online in the afternoon to purchase the wrapsol case and redeem the code, only to find the code had expired.

I commented on the facebook page asking why the code wasn't working, and still hadn't received a reply by Tuesday morning. So I e-mailed they via the customer service form explaining my situation. A few hours later I received a reply saying "There is a new discount code on the facebook page. Thank you." I couldn't access facebook at work so I replied asking if they could tell me what the code was so I could order at work. They replied with the discount code, and I immediately went online to redeem it to find that the new code was only 20% off! And shipping to Canada costs $25! So I wasn't happy. Here is the rest of my e-mail conversation with the rep:

SENT:
    This code is only 20%, but the code I was told would work fine yesterday was 35% (a $7.50 difference). I didn't think much of this since my order qualified for free shipping, but when I was checking out I was told shipping was $25 since I'm in Canada. Is there any way you could provide me with a 35% discount code? I was told directly by wrapson on facebook that the 35% discount code was valid until the end of the month, which wasn't the case when I attempted to purchase yesterday afternoon.

Thanks,

James

RECEIVED
    Hi James,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We change our discount codes randomly, the system does it for us automatically and there's now way to change it.

Thank You.

SENT
    I'm not trying to be cheap, I just do not feel as I have been treated fairly. I was very excited to purchase a wrapsol last week, and was told directly (as shown on facebook) that I could still purchase on Monday without any issue and still save 35%. I've put in the time to resolve this issue, and all that I've been given is a discount code available to the general public worth 15% less than the code I was told would work fine.

If there is no way to manually input a discount code of 35% for my use, than please offer me an alternative that is at least equivalent to what I was told I would receive. I am frustrated because I could have purchased the product last week and saved 35%, but instead waited based on what the representative said.

I've used zagg invisible shields before and was happy with the service and product, but I was looking forward to trying out Wrapsol. I'm hoping that we can come to a resolution and I can still do so.

Thanks,

James

RECEIVED
    Hi James,

We told you that it was available until the end of the month and it expired on February 28th. We're unsure of why you think that you were treated unfairly. We gave you notice on February 26th that the discount was expiring at the end of the month (which is February 28th) and all of the correct information you needed to purchase your product in that 2 day span. You had a total of 2 months to purchase one of our products with that 35% off discount code, which was available to the public on our Facebook page. The offer had expired on February 28th. We have a 20% off discount code that you can use.

Thank You.

SENT
    Not only did you not take the time to read my facebook post explaining why I couldn't purchase until Monday, you didn't even take the time to tell me that there was a 30% discount code on the wrapsol twitter page. It was posted yesterday morning, hours before I even sent you the e-mail request. There would not have been an issue here whatsoever if you had just told me that code instead of offering a code worth 20%.

Needless to say I purchased the product but am completely unsatisfied with the customer service I have received up to this point. Hopefully this changes should I ever have issues with the product I've purchased.

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me back regarding my concerns.

James

RECEIVED
    Hi James,

We're sorry that you feel that way. Have a wonderful day!

Thank You.

4. Betooo macrumors newbie

Betooo

I had no complaints with my Wrapsol skin on my 13'' macbook pro, just ordered another one for my new 15''.

5. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I purchased a red Speck SeeThru Satin combined with an Incase neoprene sleeve. I think its a good combo. The case is always on to protect from scratches and it fits snugly in the sleeve for when im on the go.

6. komseban macrumors member

+1 I have the same setup for my 2010. C:

7. ravendhi macrumors member

ravendhi

I purchased a black Speck SeeThru Satin when I purchased my 15" last week(I also bought a supersuper cheap sleeve to stick it in when I have it in my bag).

The Speck fits perfectly, and goes on rather painlessly as long as you're careful and don't just shove it on. The literature does recommend to take it off now and then and wipe out the inside - dust is going to get in there, no matter how careful you are.

I haven't had any complaints thus far, but then I've only had it for a day or so ;)

I thought about the wrapsol covers, but to be honest I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to put one on without mucking it up somehow.....

8. lurrego thread starter macrumors member

Regarding those Seethru satin cases, I feel like the hard plastic inner portion of the cover would be too susceptible to trapping harder specs of stuff that would eventually cause worse scratches on the computer. I had a similar case for my iphone that had the same outer smooth feel and inner plastic feel, and somehow, someway, a tiny hard piece of something got stuck in there and I ended up with massive scratches all over the back.

9. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Thats what I kept hearing. Protection that damages sounds too scary for me.

10. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Meh just clean it once a month and your fine.
    And of course your gonna hear about problems on a forum more then the good stories
    I have purchased the speck black see thru satin and LoVE it!
    I also have 2 speck pink see thru that a nice also (apple screwed my order up and I got 2 free cases)

11. whyzdom macrumors regular

I went with the Speck Satin for my 17" mbp. Also, I got a Booq Boa Nerve Messenger bag, which comes with a detached sleeve that my mbp fits in snugly (with the speck hard case on).

12. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Would be a good thing to do a poll on to see the balance between happy and unhappy customer.

13. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I've used a hardshell case on my 2008 aluminum unibody since the first day I bought it, just took it off last week when selling it and it still looked brand new. There wasn't a scratch on it, a little dirt but wiped it off easily.

14. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I just put a bestskinsever clear skin on my MBP yesterday.

Previously, I've always had plastic Macs, so I never thought to put a cover on one. But now I have an MBP, and due to a combination of not liking the feel of metal, and wanting to protect the anodizing from scratches and etc., I started looking for a case.

When I was in the Apple Store at the Genius bar with my previous Macbook, I had seen a customer notebook with a Speck See-Thru on it. I thought it looked kind of "fun" and neat in a shiny plastic way. So that was my first thought. But, they add a pound to a 13" MBP, and enough thickness that it would seem as thick as my old notebook. Still, I ordered one.

But then I started seeing posts about "skins." I had never wanted one with artwork or designs on it, but I had not realized there were clear ones. I did some checking and narrowed it down to Wrapsol, BodyGuardz, and bestskinsever. They all sounded good, but here was my process of elimination:

Wrapsol: Reported to be thick and durable, also matte finish to look most like original aluminum. Covers Apple logo. Does not cover sides at all. Can't remember about palm rest as I planned to use a Moshi.

BodyGuardz: Seemed thick and durable, shiny with no orange peel, covers sides, but does not cover Apple logo (has a cutout there). Not sure about palm rest.

bestskinsever: Durable but not as thick by some reports (I have not found actual mils to compare the various skins), shiny with minimal orange peel, covers sides albeit with split on front edge, covers Apple logo completely. Covers palm rest and trackpad in three pieces.

Although none of them seemed "perfect," I went with the bestskinsever because I like shiny, I wanted the sides/corners covered, and I did not want a cutout with "edges" around the Apple logo. As a bonus, it was the least expensive (you make your own soapy water solution). I had no need for customer service so I can't speak to that, but it was painless to order and showed up within a week via USPS ($2 shipping).

I was a little bit nervous to be playing with soapy water on my nice new MBP, but it all went fine. What I did was start with the bottom, and I removed it from the computer. So there was no water danger and I could get a feel for how it went on a less-obvious surface. It went surprisingly easy. But, like cooking a stir-fry, I had everything lined up and ready beforehand.

Next I did the top, and I had plastic over the keyboard, plus a thin cloth, and I put blue tape over the port holes. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. Last I did the sides, protecting the nearby ports with blue tape as I worked.

I didn't apply the palm rest or track pad pieces, as I'm trying a Moshi palm guard instead. But I have saved them in case I do want to try them.

So far it looks pretty nice to me (and improving by the hour, as they say it will). And it feels great. I have to keep running my hands over it :D But then I really liked my shiny plastic Macs (although shiny, plastic feeling aluminum looks really pretty to me). Now I'm just trying to wait the 24 hours before using it again (Hello good-old G3 iBook :apple:).

So now I'm glad I didn't add a pound of weight and thickness to the MBP, but of course I have not lived with the skin so it's only a first impression.

Miss Terri

PS: AlphaDogg posted a nice review of the bestskinsever on this forum, with photos. I've also found pretty good photos of the Wrapsol and BodyGuardz.... can't remember if it was here or on youtube. The Wrapsol looks almost like a naked MBP... or at least much closer to it than the other skins, because it is less shiny. If that is the look you want.

PPS: To the previous poster who had the e-mail exchange with Wrapsol. How infuriating! The way that last e-mail ended with "Have a great day!" was almost like they were mocking you (on top of the previous communiques which led up to why you were not pleased). What are people thinking when they treat a customer that way?

15. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

Thanks for reading my rant Miss Terri! You're the best. I always read your posts even if they are usually lengthy :p I'm hoping my new macbook pro doesn't get rough on the edges like you said yours have before. Mine is 4 days old and so far no issues.

I got my wrapsol in the mail overnight so I'm about to put it on. I'll post my review back here once I'm done!

16. elhungarian macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got Wrapsol from http://amzn.to/eI8b6h

Looks nice less shiny than zagg

17. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Peterpot,

Always nice to read a clear, well-written rant :D And thank you for the kind words :)

On the MBP edges, I should clarify that the ones on my original MBP did not get sharp/rough, but were that way when it was brand new. I think it was something in the raw material or manufacturing process, as the whole "grain" of the metal was more pronounced. For example, the palm rest was more "sandpapery" feeling.

I took it back before using it more than an hour or so, and the next one I got (and kept) was much smoother.

I still think the design should be less sharp altogether on the front edge, but that's different (and... they never ask me ;))

18. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

OMG! Ms. Terri, you have the 13'' 2011 correct? I never felt the palm rests with my fingers! It is "sandpapery"! I remember my 2010 was smooth. Should I take it back?

19. Miss Terri, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

No, I have a late 2010. But of course they have the same body style.

Let me add some info:

I think all of the palm rests are somewhat textured. I didn't and wouldn't have returned my original 2010 MBP for that alone.

The problem on mine was that the edge where the vertical side meets the top, was not only sharp, but actually slightly "hooked." As if the computer were taken out of the mold (or machine, rather) and the edge not cleaned up before it was anodized.

So, if you, say, ran your fingernail up the sides it would "catch" just as it got to the junction with the top (i.e. the surface with the keyboard and palm rests). I was worried that this "burr" would create a place for the anodizing to be more prone to damage.

Now, when I took it back and got a smoother one, I also happened to notice that the palm rest on the old one was more "sandpapery" than the new one. It was almost as if the base piece of aluminum had a coarser grain. BUT, that said, the new one also has a textured palm rest; I think that is part of the design.

When I took my first MBP back to the Apple Store, I went around the store checking all of the MBP's they had on display (quite a few). While none of them had the "hook" that my first one did (and were not quite as sharp/rough) there was some variation in texture.

So, in summary, I would not say you have a defective machine just if the palm rest is not super smooth; I don't think it is supposed to be.

Miss Terri

Oh, and an addition to my original post about the cover, but I'll put it here in case people would not go back to posts they had already read:

It's probably obvious, but while something like the Speck See-Thru hard case would provide some protection from dents, a skin won't do that. Dent protection was not my first priority, so I chose the skin.

20. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i like the incase neoprene sleeve for when i slip it into my messenger bag.

21. suckatcomputers, Mar 4, 2011

suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Haha, kept this part of your response because it's hilarious.

Thank you. I guess my palm rests are fine.

I too, am not worried about dents but I am worried about scratches, spills, dirt, etc. I have a hardshell case for my Ipod, which saved my Ipod after a drop, but I don't think I will ever drop my MBP.

I'm intrigued by the cover you posted about above. I would rather not put in the work/precision you did, but I'm considering it if it's worth it. How thick is it? Thicker than a piece of cotton cloth? Was it hard to match and square all of it out evenly? I'm extremely OCD...

22. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I just ordered my first laptop ever, the 17" MBP. I enjoy reading all the protective accessories available.

However, I'm also an ex-electrical engineer, so heat issues are also on my mind besides keeping the case pretty.

Since I don't know much about laptops in general, besides the internal fans, is the case also used to dissipate heat?

If it does, I sure wouldn't want to interfere with this process by covering the aluminum with some sort of film.

23. sandylp, Mar 4, 2011

sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Wrapsol-30 Percent Discount

I just ordered the Wrapsol clear protector for the 15" MBP that I just got. I used the discount code: twitmywrap for 30 percent off, that is discussed above. Of course, the shipping is $7.95, but it's still a discount and it isn't available in any store near me. I have a Zagg for my iPhone, and it has worked great, but it does make it shiny with a bit of an orange-peel look. I was looking for more of a matt finish for the computer. I also got a Power Support palm rest protector because it's made of a soft suede-like material and I can use my mouse on it. I had one on my previous computer, and I didn't have any problem with it getting dirty, but that might be a concern with others.

24. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Apple guy told me he's never heard of heat issues for the cases they sell IN STORE.

IMO, most other covers take heat into consideration so you shouldn't have a problem with popular brands. Also, consider that MBPs don't have "vents" so heat isn't getting "trapped" whether you have a cover or not. Yes, you may prevent cool air to run under with a cover or sleeve, but IMO you won't have issues unless you're using your MBP to extreme lengths of time w/o a break. I've seen some people cut out a piece of their cover on the bottom, if that's what you want to do...

25. Miss Terri, Mar 4, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I'm pretty particular about things too.

As far as the work involved, well I took my time, prepped the area, spent the extra time to remove the back cover, went through all the steps in my head, and then procrastinated a bit before starting, and I was still done in about two hours, except for going back to take out a few last air bubbles and etc. Also that includes a few minutes for putting on the Moshi palm guard. I guess I figured that a few hours - compared to all the time I will have and use the computer - was not much.

The fit of the skin is quite good. Of course it can't actually wrap around the MBP edges, so there are edges to it, but they line up quite closely with the MBP's edges. And the side pieces start and stop by the ports and etc. Not perfect, but to my picky self, pretty darned close. You can slide the piecdes around to line them up before they start to "seal." Actually, you have minutes in which to do that.

And too, regarding the perfectness of the installation, there is the thought that, well, if I wanted to I could always order another one and maybe even do a better job of putting it on. It's not the pressure of the "permanent" case like the original computer body.

In a way, it was kind of fun to install :)

Little issues:

1) There is one tiny-tiny crumb of something under the skin in one spot. Thankfully it is on the back and is light colored. It's possible that when I noticed it I could have gone back and lifted the skin and fixed it, but I thought it might have been too late and made it worse so I left it. It is very very small.

2) It all starts out looking very blotchy and streaky, but then slowly disappears as the first 24 hours passes (it is somewhat gas permeable). The back, which I did first (they suggest the front but I wanted to practice on the back), looks nearly perfect. The front still has some slightly uneven coloration, which you can see if you shine light on it from certain angles. It may continue to go away, as it has only been about 18 hours and it has been diminishing. OTOH, the back never had as many blotches.

I think I may have caused those because I went kind of "skimpy" on the liquid on the front piece, somewhat concerned that it might get into the Apple logo at the edges (no idea if that is a legitimate concern or not). I *think* therefore some of the soap in the water solution may have dried in place, creating a slight uneven-ness. Or something related to my installation technique at any rate. I'm not sure about that, and I don't know if it will continue to fade and eventually disappear. If not, you can order a top piece separately, and I may choose to do that.

I hope this helps you in your decision. You might also look at AlphaDogg's photos in the review thread for the bestskinsever.

Miss Terri

PS: Oh, right, thickness. Hmmm, how to describe it. Well it's much thinner than a piece of cotton cloth (well, depending on the cloth of course!. It's thicker than a typical "sticker," but not by much. Maybe like a piece of clear plastic you would put over an iPod screen.. something like that. It is much, much thinner than a Speck hard shell (although the hard shell is a different concept, so I'm not saying it's worse).