Recommend a mild men's cologne!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Bottom line: I've NEVER worn cologne for any extended period. I had a girlfriend once who liked a particular scent (can't remember which one), but I had to wash it off after a few hours. It just irritated my olfactory senses too much. I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to smells so I'm wondering if there is a cologne out there for men that is fairly mild.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Bottom line: I've NEVER worn cologne for any extended period. I had a girlfriend once who liked a particular scent (can't remember which one), but I had to wash it off after a few hours. It just irritated my olfactory senses too much. I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to smells so I'm wondering if there is a cologne out there for men that is fairly mild.
I think most cologne that is sold may be too much for you if you're not used to it. Without sounding like a tampon commercial, here I go...I have a couple scents from Bed Bath & Beyond and whatever that other one is. They are more like scents or sprays and focus on more natural smells.

Sometimes I just feel like jumping in the breeze with my dress on, holding a box of product and looking lovingly at the sun I guess. Seriously though, try those soap/shampoo/skin type shops. You can get samples as well without handing over your cash.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My favorite cologne is Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male. It has a mild cinnamon smell. I wear it always.

It's not a very strong cologne, IMO.

Check out the Summer version of Le Male- it's an even milder/lighter version of it.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Colognes can be so off-putting sometimes. I'll go against the grain here and say that nothing is as pleasing to the sense of scent than simply a clean bod. Invest in a good shower gel and scrubby thing and leave it at that.

ddiogyn

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
UK
Go Jo Malone if you want subtlety. Doesn't give you a headache if you overdo it, others have to be quite close in order to smell it and it doesn't leave a pungent trail.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I never wear cologne either, but I do wear Old Spice deodorant, and have had a good number of people say I smell great and ask what cologne I'm wearing, so that seems to be plenty.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
nothing is as pleasing to the sense of scent than simply a clean bod.
+1

My favorite cologne is Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male. It has a mild cinnamon smell. I wear it always.

It's not a very strong cologne, IMO.

Check out the Summer version of Le Male- it's an even milder/lighter version of it.
Gaultier Le Male? :eek:
Yikes! I always found that just slightly lighter than that '80s favourite Kouros.
A dab or two and people could smell you two blocks away. :D

I'd recommend Acqua di Parma

I do wear Old Spice deodorant.
Ah, "The mark of a man!". ;)

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
personally, I dont use cologne, but i use Old Spice After Hours deodorant. Works as both. I cant smell it 5 minutes after i put it on, but thats cause I'm used to it, but out in town, it does work. Last time I used cologne, it was either Old Spice, BRUT, and some unknown sample from Macy's. personally, I would go to a deptartment store and get some samples, and see which one fits you best.

shivermetimbers

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
McChord, Wash
AXE in the shower and deodorant....werx fer me. Its not funky or overpowering. Some feel the need to wear so much cologne that it eats the oxygen out of the air and you cant breathe.....hate that!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I dont like strong cologne/aftershave either. I wear the Hugo Boss one in the pic. And I really like CoolWater by Davidoff (I think) both nice and fresh smelling and not to strong.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Colognes can be so off-putting sometimes. I'll go against the grain here and say that nothing is as pleasing to the sense of scent than simply a clean bod. Invest in a good shower gel and scrubby thing and leave it at that.
I do agree with that for the most part, blue. I mean, I'm nearing my mid-30s and don't wear scents. I go through these phases of wanting to try something out though - failed every time :D.

I was going to make a snarky remark about Lynx/Axe and Old Spice in my original post. Both of those, but especially Lynx (which I believe is Axe in the US), STILL remind me of secondary school.

Thanks for the recommendations! Keep them coming.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally I can't really stand colognes either. But occasionally go through a phase of wanting to wear the stuff. Anyways I always found Tommy to have a mild and pleasant odor.

tommy hilfiger tommy.jpg

What cologne I want is whatever it is that nearly every doctor seems to use. Though it may just be some anti-bacterial hand scrub. If it is someone needs to start making scent of doctor:rolleyes:.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Gaultier Le Male? :eek:
Yikes! I always found that just slightly lighter than that '80s favourite Kouros.
A dab or two and people could smell you two blocks away. :D
I use like half a spritz of it on my neck. It's very subtle.

But yes, if you put a full spray on both sides of your neck, it can be quite strong.

appledyl

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
USA
Claiborne - For Men

Its a sweet subtle smell that just makes people happy when they're around you.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Have never worn cologne regularly and haven't actually put some on for years. However, now that you know I'm not an expert, my advice would be to check out Paul Sebastian. My mom always bought that for my father and it is very mild. She has allergies and can't be around lots of cologne, but PS never bothered her.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I do agree with that for the most part, blue. I mean, I'm nearing my mid-30s and don't wear scents. I go through these phases of wanting to try something out though - failed every time :D.

I was going to make a snarky remark about Lynx/Axe and Old Spice in my original post. Both of those, but especially Lynx (which I believe is Axe in the US), STILL remind me of secondary school.

Thanks for the recommendations! Keep them coming.
I agree on the Axe, it's just awful, especially the spray-on stuff. I've had room mates who use either that or the regular deodorant, and after either of them took a shower I could hardly breathe upon entering the bathroom, it's that bad. I personally don't find Old Spice to be anything like that, but maybe it's just a personal preference.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i'm in the pro-Pheromone camp.

i dont want to be attracting the wrong type of girl masking my pheromone with a cologne

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Personally I can't really stand colognes either. But occasionally go through a phase of wanting to wear the stuff. Anyways I always found Tommy to have a mild and pleasant odor.

View attachment 196055

What cologne I want is whatever it is that nearly every doctor seems to use. Though it may just be some anti-bacterial hand scrub. If it is someone needs to start making scent of doctor:rolleyes:.
I had this (the Tommy) once and ended up giving it to a friend. Waaay too strong for my tastes.

Hmmm... I can't say that I associate an appealing smell with my doctor.

Thanks mscriv. That's really good to know!

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe it's just me, but I really like the smell around the Abercrombie & Fitch stores. They spray their cologne "Fierce" through the ventilation system and it permeates outside the store.

Unfortunately, when you go in there, you're presented with a 1.7oz bottle for $50 and a 3.4oz for $72, which is much higher than your usual colognes in Macy's, Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, etc.

Luckily, eBay became my source. Perhaps it was a ex-employee or someone on the inside, but there are a few sellers who sell the large 12oz (!) bottle of Fierce that's used for the ventilation system. Supposedly, they're more potent, but when I bought it for $80 shipped, it was identical in strength to the retail bottles and testers at the store. That 12oz bottle would easily be worth over $250!

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet

Armani Mania

The latter is more subtle. Both of these fragrances are my favourite and I'm very fussy.

I hate Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male! It gives me a headache and it's very, very strong!