Recommend a monitor for my needs / setup

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I've searched through the forums, all over the web, and asked around but I really don't know what I should be looking for. In an effort to save a bit of money my wife and I are trying to consolidate a bit on computers so our plan is to pass my 24" iMac on to her and for me to get a 24" ~ monitor for my mbp (since I'm not home that much, it makes a lot of sense). I just can't decide what will suit my needs, especially considering we're trying to save a bit of money right now (read: buying on a budget).

What I want: 24" display, glossy or matte not important. I don't want to feel like I wish I had my iMac back! So, questions:

Should I be looking for a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor like the imac? Should I be looking for a 1920 x 1200 max resolution monitor like the imac?

I will use the monitor for a fair amount of word processing, web surfing, video watching, website editing/design. There's a chance I could do a bit of video editing again, but I'm not counting on that happening any time soon.

What do you recommend? I keep coming back to the U2410, but I was hoping that maybe, maybe I could find something a bit cheaper. The Dell ST2410 is hella cheap, but I'm worried about the 1020 x 1080 resolution.

thanks!

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
If you don't mind a 1" drop in screen size, this beast could be what you're looking for. It has a webcam, USB hub, insane 2048x1152 resolution, pretty bright panel, and HDCP support for $279 after savings. I have a 2007WFP with 1680x1050 resolution, USB hub, 4 inputs, and an S-IPS panel (it was one of the lottery displays and I got lucky), but they don't make it anymore. It is an excellent monitor even being 3 years old, and I would buy another Dell if given the choice. I've seen Samsung, HP, ViewSonic, and Apple monitors as well as the Dells, and I must say, for looks and performance Apple wins, but Dell is a close second in performance (they're just don't have as pretty of casing). I don't really like the Samsungs I've seen, and the HP was decent but I'd rather have a Dell. The ViewSonics I've seen at school are just complete crap.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Just make sure you get 1920x1200 and I think you'll be fine (you will sacrifice vertical space if you go 16:9 @ 1920x1080). The cheaper you go, the more apparent color shift/crappy viewing angles will be.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Im a sucker for HP monitors, they look great, picture is great, ive always had good experiences with them. No 24" the first link is 23 second is 25, IMO the 2 inches isnt really worth the $150.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/FN747AA%23ABA

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/NT195AA%23ABA

EDIT: Note that I do love the Apple cinema display, and if budget wasn't a problem I would immediately recommend that, but personally I could never rationalize spending that much money on a monitor.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Just make sure you get 1920x1200 and I think you'll be fine (you will sacrifice vertical space if you go 16:9 @ 1920x1080). The cheaper you go, the more apparent color shift/crappy viewing angles will be.
Suppose I need to take a trip out to staples or somewhere similar. Unfortunately, there aren't many good electronics stores in the area :(.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Im a sucker for HP monitors, they look great, picture is great, ive always had good experiences with them. No 24" the first link is 23 second is 25, IMO the 2 inches isnt really worth the $150.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/FN747AA%23ABA

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/NT195AA%23ABA

EDIT: Note that I do love the Apple cinema display, and if budget wasn't a problem I would immediately recommend that, but personally I could never rationalize spending that much money on a monitor.
HPs look ok but I'm not sold on the 1920 x 1020 resolution.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
If you don't mind a 1" drop in screen size, this beast could be what you're looking for. It has a webcam, USB hub, insane 2048x1152 resolution, pretty bright panel, and HDCP support for $279 after savings.
I went ahead and bought this last night. Dell had it up for sale for $209 + free shipping. I'm admittedly a little apprehensive because of the price etc. but we'll see. The only real downside is that it's not supposed to be shipping until Feb 24!

I will report back!

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
If you don't mind a 1" drop in screen size, this beast could be what you're looking for.
Thanks for the advise. I had been looking for a replacement for the second monitor on my 24" iMac. I had been considering a refurb 24" Cinema Display, but decided to go with the 23" Dell you suggested. I like the look for the ACD, but couldn't justify the $400 additional. I can use the money I saved to buy the AppleCare for my 4 Macs at home.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Thanks for the advise. I had been looking for a replacement for the second monitor on my 24" iMac. I had been considering a refurb 24" Cinema Display, but decided to go with the 23" Dell you suggested. I like the look for the ACD, but couldn't justify the $400 additional. I can use the money I saved to buy the AppleCare for my 4 Macs at home.
Let me warn you though that for this monitor you will need the dual-link adapter. I am very worried about it because of the very bad reviews of the adapter, I'm thinking of canceling my order for the display.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Let me warn you though that for this monitor you will need the dual-link adapter. I am very worried about it because of the very bad reviews of the adapter, I'm thinking of canceling my order for the display.
I'm not sure I follow. I have a Mini-Display port on the back of the iMac. Since the monitor has a DVI port, I'm just moving the existing DVI from the old monitor to the new. Are you talking about using two monitors on a Mini?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I'm not sure I follow. I have a Mini-Display port on the back of the iMac. Since the monitor has a DVI port, I'm just moving the existing DVI from the old monitor to the new. Are you talking about using two monitors on a Mini?
No. The regular mini displayport only supports resolutions up to 1900 x 1200. Since this Dell monitor is 2048 x 1152, you won't be able to use it at max resolution unless you get a dual-link display port. I'm very unhappy about this.:mad:

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
No. The regular mini displayport only supports resolutions up to 1900 x 1200. Since this Dell monitor is 2048 x 1152, you won't be able to use it at max resolution unless you get a dual-link display port. I'm very unhappy about this.:mad:
Wow, that is a bummer. I was thinking of upgrading my Dell 2209WA monitor to this one for my new Mini, but not if I have to use that thing. I didn't know anything about it, so I did some searching. Wow, adapter is getting slammed. Gizmodo even had some screenshots.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks. I'll have to do more research. From some of the info I found via Google, the monitor is only a single-link DVI and people seem to have reported getting the higher res without the dual-link.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Which 24" iMac do you have?

Not all 24" iMacs have a mini Display port, a lot have a mini DVI port.

You need this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4851&seq=1&format=2

All 24" iMacs support a 30" display without extra boxes.

I would be more worried about the tiny pixels. Thats a lot of pixels crammed into a 23" display...

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Which 24" iMac do you have?

Not all 24" iMacs have a mini Display port, a lot have a mini DVI port.

You need this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4851&seq=1&format=2

All 24" iMacs support a 30" display without extra boxes.

I would be more worried about the tiny pixels. Thats a lot of pixels crammed into a 23" display...
I can't speak for iMacs since that's not what I'm concerned with here, however, I think you will find that this has nothing to do with what the computer itself will handle. These don't support these. If your computer uses a mini displayport, you will need the dual-link connector for this monitor since its max resolution is higher than the normal mini displayport can handle. And unfortunately, the dual-link is a huge piece of junk.

Thanks. I'll have to do more research. From some of the info I found via Google, the monitor is only a single-link DVI and people seem to have reported getting the higher res without the dual-link.
If you find anything, do report back!

Edit: having looked around a bit, I've seen reports of these supporting the 2048 x 1152 res. Although I am also having my doubts about the usability of this res. I think I'm going to cancel my order :(

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
apologies -- I missed the one tiny "mbp" in your first post but saw the 5 or 6 "iMac" you had put in it =)

You are correct on all counts.

Stick with a 24" 1920 X 1200.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Sorry that you got burned by the dual-link adaptor fiasco. I had no idea there were problems with them.

For what it's worth, if it were me I would go with this monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7956

It's the LED version of the monitor I've had for 4 years, and it is phenomenal. I had a number of dead pixels when I first got it, but I called Dell and they overnighted me a new one. I gotta say... I'm really impressed by their responsiveness.

The refurbished store is another great way to go with Dell stuff... they have this monitor available. This is a full list of their refub monitors:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=MON&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Sorry that you got burned by the dual-link adaptor fiasco. I had no idea there were problems with them.

For what it's worth, if it were me I would go with this monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7956

It's the LED version of the monitor I've had for 4 years, and it is phenomenal. I had a number of dead pixels when I first got it, but I called Dell and they overnighted me a new one. I gotta say... I'm really impressed by their responsiveness.

The refurbished store is another great way to go with Dell stuff... they have this monitor available. This is a full list of their refub monitors:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=MON&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh
I have to say that I like this monitor a lot because of the LED backlights etc. (all the 'green' features) but had ruled it out because of the 1920 x 1080 res. That said, I guess it's no different to the one I've ordered ratio-wise.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
That's not correct.
The standard miniDP - DVI adapter works well with resolutions up to 2048x1152. This resolution is still single link, hence does not require a DualLink DVI adapter.

There are several people around here that have that monitor working with the single Link adatper.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
That's not correct.
The standard miniDP - DVI adapter works well with resolutions up to 2048x1152. This resolution is still single link, hence does not require a DualLink DVI adapter.

There are several people around here that have that monitor working with the single Link adatper.
Haha. I was just in the middle of typing a post to this effect when the notice came in of your post! You are right. There's a whole thread on this particular monitor: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=608880

Sorry for the confusion.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I'm confused now. I was checking out the Mini specs and found this:

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
The way that reads, it would seem like you can do 1900x1200 on the DVI adapter and you need the Mini DisplayPort - Dual Link adapter for the higher resolutions.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
For what it's worth, I decided to go ahead and get the monitor. According to Dell it just shipped out so I should hopefully have it late next week. If anyone is interested, I can post a review once I receive it.