Recommend a monitor for my needs / setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yojitani, Feb 14, 2010.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've searched through the forums, all over the web, and asked around but I really don't know what I should be looking for. In an effort to save a bit of money my wife and I are trying to consolidate a bit on computers so our plan is to pass my 24" iMac on to her and for me to get a 24" ~ monitor for my mbp (since I'm not home that much, it makes a lot of sense). I just can't decide what will suit my needs, especially considering we're trying to save a bit of money right now (read: buying on a budget).

What I want: 24" display, glossy or matte not important. I don't want to feel like I wish I had my iMac back! So, questions:

Should I be looking for a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor like the imac? Should I be looking for a 1920 x 1200 max resolution monitor like the imac?

I will use the monitor for a fair amount of word processing, web surfing, video watching, website editing/design. There's a chance I could do a bit of video editing again, but I'm not counting on that happening any time soon.

What do you recommend? I keep coming back to the U2410, but I was hoping that maybe, maybe I could find something a bit cheaper. The Dell ST2410 is hella cheap, but I'm worried about the 1020 x 1080 resolution.

thanks!

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind a 1" drop in screen size, this beast could be what you're looking for. It has a webcam, USB hub, insane 2048x1152 resolution, pretty bright panel, and HDCP support for $279 after savings. I have a 2007WFP with 1680x1050 resolution, USB hub, 4 inputs, and an S-IPS panel (it was one of the lottery displays and I got lucky), but they don't make it anymore. It is an excellent monitor even being 3 years old, and I would buy another Dell if given the choice. I've seen Samsung, HP, ViewSonic, and Apple monitors as well as the Dells, and I must say, for looks and performance Apple wins, but Dell is a close second in performance (they're just don't have as pretty of casing). I don't really like the Samsungs I've seen, and the HP was decent but I'd rather have a Dell. The ViewSonics I've seen at school are just complete crap.

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

THAT is a fantastic suggestion! Thank you. I'm open to more. Keep 'em coming.

4. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Just make sure you get 1920x1200 and I think you'll be fine (you will sacrifice vertical space if you go 16:9 @ 1920x1080). The cheaper you go, the more apparent color shift/crappy viewing angles will be.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Im a sucker for HP monitors, they look great, picture is great, ive always had good experiences with them. No 24" the first link is 23 second is 25, IMO the 2 inches isnt really worth the $150.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/FN747AA%23ABA

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/display/display/1/storefronts/NT195AA%23ABA

EDIT: Note that I do love the Apple cinema display, and if budget wasn't a problem I would immediately recommend that, but personally I could never rationalize spending that much money on a monitor.

6. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Suppose I need to take a trip out to staples or somewhere similar. Unfortunately, there aren't many good electronics stores in the area :(.

7. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

HPs look ok but I'm not sold on the 1920 x 1020 resolution.

8. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I went ahead and bought this last night. Dell had it up for sale for $209 + free shipping. I'm admittedly a little apprehensive because of the price etc. but we'll see. The only real downside is that it's not supposed to be shipping until Feb 24!

I will report back!

9. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise. I had been looking for a replacement for the second monitor on my 24" iMac. I had been considering a refurb 24" Cinema Display, but decided to go with the 23" Dell you suggested. I like the look for the ACD, but couldn't justify the $400 additional. I can use the money I saved to buy the AppleCare for my 4 Macs at home.

10. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Let me warn you though that for this monitor you will need the dual-link adapter. I am very worried about it because of the very bad reviews of the adapter, I'm thinking of canceling my order for the display.

11. paddyhazard macrumors regular

12. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I follow. I have a Mini-Display port on the back of the iMac. Since the monitor has a DVI port, I'm just moving the existing DVI from the old monitor to the new. Are you talking about using two monitors on a Mini?

13. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

No. The regular mini displayport only supports resolutions up to 1900 x 1200. Since this Dell monitor is 2048 x 1152, you won't be able to use it at max resolution unless you get a dual-link display port. I'm very unhappy about this.:mad:

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wow, that is a bummer. I was thinking of upgrading my Dell 2209WA monitor to this one for my new Mini, but not if I have to use that thing. I didn't know anything about it, so I did some searching. Wow, adapter is getting slammed. Gizmodo even had some screenshots.

15. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll have to do more research. From some of the info I found via Google, the monitor is only a single-link DVI and people seem to have reported getting the higher res without the dual-link.

16. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Which 24" iMac do you have?

Not all 24" iMacs have a mini Display port, a lot have a mini DVI port.

You need this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4851&seq=1&format=2

All 24" iMacs support a 30" display without extra boxes.

I would be more worried about the tiny pixels. Thats a lot of pixels crammed into a 23" display...

17. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I can't speak for iMacs since that's not what I'm concerned with here, however, I think you will find that this has nothing to do with what the computer itself will handle. These don't support these. If your computer uses a mini displayport, you will need the dual-link connector for this monitor since its max resolution is higher than the normal mini displayport can handle. And unfortunately, the dual-link is a huge piece of junk.

If you find anything, do report back!

Edit: having looked around a bit, I've seen reports of these supporting the 2048 x 1152 res. Although I am also having my doubts about the usability of this res. I think I'm going to cancel my order :(

18. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

apologies -- I missed the one tiny "mbp" in your first post but saw the 5 or 6 "iMac" you had put in it =)

You are correct on all counts.

Stick with a 24" 1920 X 1200.

19. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Sorry that you got burned by the dual-link adaptor fiasco. I had no idea there were problems with them.

For what it's worth, if it were me I would go with this monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7956

It's the LED version of the monitor I've had for 4 years, and it is phenomenal. I had a number of dead pixels when I first got it, but I called Dell and they overnighted me a new one. I gotta say... I'm really impressed by their responsiveness.

The refurbished store is another great way to go with Dell stuff... they have this monitor available. This is a full list of their refub monitors:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=MON&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

20. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have to say that I like this monitor a lot because of the LED backlights etc. (all the 'green' features) but had ruled it out because of the 1920 x 1080 res. That said, I guess it's no different to the one I've ordered ratio-wise.

21. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's not correct.
    The standard miniDP - DVI adapter works well with resolutions up to 2048x1152. This resolution is still single link, hence does not require a DualLink DVI adapter.

There are several people around here that have that monitor working with the single Link adatper.

22. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Haha. I was just in the middle of typing a post to this effect when the notice came in of your post! You are right. There's a whole thread on this particular monitor: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=608880

Sorry for the confusion.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'm confused now. I was checking out the Mini specs and found this:

The way that reads, it would seem like you can do 1900x1200 on the DVI adapter and you need the Mini DisplayPort - Dual Link adapter for the higher resolutions.

24. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's what Apple says, but the've been proven wrong. ;)

25. mdgolom macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I decided to go ahead and get the monitor. According to Dell it just shipped out so I should hopefully have it late next week. If anyone is interested, I can post a review once I receive it.