recommend an email client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogerb100, Jan 5, 2009.

1. rogerb100 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have used Eudora for many years but it is no longer supported by Qualcomm. One really good thing about Eudora was that you could get a confirmation message when an email was read as long as it wasn't on a web email client. This way I knew that my message had ben seen. I like Apple Mail because you can use the Apple address book however no confirmation message of received emails. can anyone recommend a really good app. with the above facility and which can use the Address book? Not too keen on Outlook Express or anything vaguely Windows!

Thanks,

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think the choice is really between Mozilla Thunderbird and Apple Mail on the Mac. Take your pick as to your favourite. Personally I use Apple Mail.

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

If you are used to using MS Office/Outlook, there is also Entourage from M$ which will cost you some $$$.

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

This is entirely at the discretion of the recipient. Also, some mailboxes/email clients will automatically reject read receipt requests.

5. Salmar macrumors regular

Mozilla Thunderbird is a good choice which I also have because I've had some issues with Apple mail, but I do use both. As a backup email client I also have the seamonkey browser with it's integrated mail client which works good with Macs also. It's good to have several email choices in case one goes down for some reason.

6. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

I have been using BareBones Mailsmith for many years, but recently switched back to Mail on my Mac Pro because of integration with MobileMe, plugins (Mail Tags and Mail Act On 2) and integration with Bento 2.

I still use Mailsmith with my MacBook though and have no plans to change. :)

If I were you I would go with Mail. I am pretty impressed and it works well with gmail.

7. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I'd be curious to know more a "head to head" on the mail apps. I've always used Tbird and when I switched to mac a couple years ago I kept using it but wonder if I'm missing anything by not using Mail.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Apple's Mail is better than the others IMHO. Came over from PCs using first Eudora then Thunderbird. Mail was so much more of a pleasure to use....

9. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

In what ways? What specifically did you like about one and not the other?

10. Slash1959 macrumors newbie

Slash1959

+1 for Apple Mail for me as well. Also use Mailplane for all my gmail accounts

11. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Nicer interface, better spam control, great integration with Mac apps, built in features... damn it's good...

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was a devoted Eudora user for years until they stopped supporting it.

Currently I'm using Mail to download my messages and store them on my computer, but primarily I use Gmail for email management.

MailPlane was just talked up in the latest MacWorld. I like GMail and how it threads messages. And I understand Mailplane will store mail off line, like GMail.

Is there anyone here who used GMail before Mailplane, and think the product is worth the extra effort? The Mailplane site lists the top benefits of using it with GMail.

Top Benefits:

* Drag and drop attachments
    * Use multiple Gmail accounts
    * Get new mail notifications
    * Send screenshots
    * Enjoy Gmail shortcuts
    * Integrate with OmniFocus

Now in Beta:
    Offline Gmail + HTML signatures

Thanks!
    -Dave