recommend me a nice iPad 3 back cover (works with Smart Cover)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kidwithdimples, Mar 24, 2012.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Bought the Belkin Snap Shield - Back Cover from Best Buy today but it doesn't snap on correctly even though it says it is for iPad 3rd Gen.

I'm going to return it tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a new one that works with Smart Covers as well?

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I've ordered a Smart Feather for the same reason. I haven't received it yet but the reviews were positive.

3. therock77 Guest

kool

any skin or hard case is compatible. hyper shop.com is a good place to get a case from

4. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

This one looks nice.

Please provide pictures when you receive it and your thoughts.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Belkin Snap Shield. Works great with the Smart Cover and looks really nice.

6. Anthony.L macrumors member

You must have bought the wrong snap shield, it fits perfect.

7. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I'm not happy with the fit of mine either. Yes, I bought the proper one and it states it is for the 3rd gen.

I had the previous version for the iPad 2 and there was NO flex it it when on the iPad. On the new one, if I pressed on the right bezel and applied slight pressure on the case (think picking it up off a flat surface), the edge of the case would pop up over the edge of the iPad.

I think they are trying to fit both versions with the same case and they fit neither perfectly. The new case will be too deep for the iPad 2 and at the wrong taper for the 3rd gen. I think the taper being different is what caused my issue.

I'm probably taking it back.

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

I have the Marware Microshell in black and it's perfect if you have the black leather smart cover. It's rubberized finish is a terrific match and the Microshell is about the thinnest back cover I've seen yet.

BJ

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't know about that---I actually bought the Snap Shield for iPad 2 and it fit wonderfully on my 3rd gen iPad. Didn't need to force it at all and it has not cracked or warped or anything like that over the last week.

A lot of these case makers seem to be lying about the fit though. I ordered one from eBay that said (at least the seller said) it was for 3rd gen, but didn't fit at all. He refunded my money and let me keep the case, so that was cool I guess. Then I ordered one from Case Crown on Amazon. Didn't even come close to fitting.

I think the .6 mm difference, as negligable as it is, matters more on the cheap-o cases. They are very rigid and have no room for tolerance. The name brand stuff seems to have a little give to it and will kind of shape itself to the device. I ended up paying $30 at Best Buy for the Snap Shield, but it was totally worth it. It was the weekend of launch day, we were going out of town, and I had nothing to protect my new iPad.

10. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just bought it and it even said made for 3rd gen iPad :(
    I wish I did bought the wrong one :/

^ Basically this. Doesn't fit perfectly and there's some gaps at the top and if you press on it then you can see the edges pop.

I'm returning it back tomorrow but I'll bring my iPad with me and try it in the store before buying.

11. mac-spy macrumors newbie

I am looking for a VERY slim case to work with the smart cover. The Incipio Smart Feather would have been a good choice if it doesn't lock the smart cover. Any other alternatives?

12. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with locking the smart cover? Isn't it a good idea?

13. mac-spy macrumors newbie

I take off the smart cover very often, especially when reading ebooks for a long time

14. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

15. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

That is the best part about the Smart Feather. It keeps the smart cover secured to the device. I found the smart cover comes off way to easily otherwise.

16. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Does the Smart Cover come loose very easy?
    The Belkin Snap Sheild costs €17 and the Smart Feather €34 in my country...
    So is the Smart Feathet that much better?

17. TC25 macrumors 68020

'very easy' is a subjective phrase. i've never had my Smartcover come off accidentally. Never. You really have to ask people who claim it does how it came off so easily. More than one person has defined 'comes off easily' as they can't pick the iPad up by the Smartcover, which is ridiculous.

18. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Wait for the Switcheasy Coverbuddy for the new ipad to come out.. Which should be very soon.

19. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I have no idea about the Belkin Snap Shield, but I do know that Incipio makes good quality accessories. I have purchased many cases, shields and even carrying cases. All very good quality that last. My experience with Belkin is not very good, but I won't say they are bad, just because I've not used this particular item. You sometimes get what you pay for.

I don't hold mine by the smart cover because that would be pretty lame. But just in the process of flipping the iPad around in terms of orientation I've had it just pop off. I've been reading in bed and had the smart cover tucked back to hold it and just moving around it popped off. There isn't anything subjective about that. It happens!

The Smart Feather from Incipio totally prevents this from happening in all those circumstances mentioned. If all you ever do is hold it in your hand or fold it back you likely won't have a problem, but if you really use your device for reading, switching the orientation around a lot, that smart cover will pop off.

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have seen almost no comments on the zerochroma case. Its pretty cool.

21. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Hey, if you use a Smart Feather can you still bend the Smart Cover flat along the back of the iPad?

22. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Yes, you can this is no issue whatsoever! :)

23. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went back to Best Buy, returned it and got another Belkin Snap Shield. I told them if I can try it out on the spot and they opened it for me. I think the one I returned had something wrong with it. This one is perfectly fine.

:)

It says it's made for iPad 3rd gen and it snaps on fine. :D

24. veereihen6 macrumors member

Add my vote for the Smart Feather. Got mine last Thursday. Works great in conjunction with the smart cover, and still keeps everything super slim.

25. TC25, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

TC25 macrumors 68020

Saying it comes off easily IS subjective. Describing how and when it comes off explains what YOU think is 'comes off easily'. It's up to the reader to determine if it qualifies as 'easily'. Clearly schools are not teaching English like they used to.

Easy Ways to Remember Objective and Subjective
    Objective : sounds like the word object. You should be objective whenever you are discussing an object, something concrete that you can hold or touch. The facts that make up your objective statement should also be concrete, solid objects.
    Subjective : is just the opposite. You can’t point to subjective subjects. They are all in your head and your past experiences. Subjective opinions are ephemeral and subject to any number of factors that can range from facts to emotions.