Recommend navigation for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by michelle70, Jun 12, 2011.

1. michelle70 macrumors newbie

Please recommend navigation for iPhone!!

I live in NewYork and I often go NewJersey, Virginia and Florida.

Thank you for reading this.:cool::p:):eek:

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Navigon (no data connection needed) or Mapquest4mobile (free)

3. zOdeac macrumors member

Ill agree was he best $54 i have ever spent. Tried about 4 others and i have come back to this one its simple to use once you learn the interface.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really have a recommendation since I just use my Garmin GPS but make sure you download an app that already has the maps because otherwise, you'll be downloading the maps from the internet and it will eat through your data (which will cause problems especially if you are NOT on an unlimited plan).

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

ANother vote for Navigon. By far the best Navigation application and well worth every penny. Have been using it flawlessly every since launch in summer of 2009.

6. Krevnik, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It's a Pandora's box you just opened buddy. My general snippets of impressions distilled down to stereotypes from using pretty much all the major apps in the market.

The common things are: Routing is about on par across the board these days. Most support Google local search in the app itself. TTS is getting very common as well.

MotionX - Cheap (subscription based). Gets the job done. Depends on a data connection to route. Can cache some tiles that you pick, which can help, but it sucks down time. UX is a bit busy in some areas, making it feel crowded when it really isn't.

Garmin - One time cost. Depends on a data connection to route, uses Navteq data. It's pretty much the Garmin UX you expect, but designed around cell phones that have a data connection. Will cache the tiles needed for the route, but you need data to create a new route.

TomTom - One time cost (Traffic is a subscription). Most consistent and polished UX of the bunch, IMO. Wide feature set aimed at letting you fine-tune routing is nice and has good map browsing, but lacks the ability to do waypoint navigation (only supports 1 destination and a via).

Navigon - One time cost. UX is a bit rough, but uses Navteq maps and has a large feature set. Additional features aren't subscriptions, which means you can get what you want for a fixed price. Weather, Traffic, and advanced map data are available as extra.

Magellan - One time cost. Navteq data. Free Traffic. New 2.0 UX fixes a lot of issues it had before, and now has one of the most robust 'navigate to contact' options out there. Minimal feature set compared to the others, but what it does do, it has learned to do well with a decent map view UI. Can be crowded in landscape though.

In my own experience, TomTom comes in first, but I'm just as picky about my UX as I am the feature set. The most annoying thing is the map data is outdated right on my street (Microsoft has been doing major construction). It's a bit odd Telenav hasn't updated it in years.

Magellan is currently my #2, with the release of 2.0. Before 2.0, I would have ranked it below Garmin and Navigon, but the UX has come a long way, and the contact navigation is pretty much spot on unless it's in an area of recent construction and the road isn't in the map database. Needs better options to enter in a destination (lat/lon), and a better map browser that doesn't hide too many roads at at once.

As for Navigon, the only thing that really bugs me is that the one thing I want to customize (the routing) is the area it gives me a bunch of choice based on what they think I want and not a lot of good ways to tweak the routing behaviors beyond that (something TomTom is really strong at). The UX is rough, but workable, and is really what drives it below my #1 choice.

7. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'll throw another plug in for TomTom. I can't speak to the datasets for the east coast, I'm sure they're just fine. But, as for the UI, I am living in Europe right now and made my AT&T 3Gs a dedicated TomTom navigator. It has never steered me wrong throughout Western Europe.

I also loaned it out to a couple of my friends, one who has never used a GPS and one who uses Navigon. Both were extremely pleased with the TomTom routing, its ease of use, comprehensive data, and overall experience.

8. michelle70 thread starter macrumors newbie

No good TomTom...

I had used TomTom Navigation but I was not good.
    It is similar too for iPhone...

9. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Navigon is fantastic. Traffic updates are really helpful as well.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you should go with navigon. i love it, and its updated every few months.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Another vote for Navigon. Well worth the money. TomTom is also good but I have found that Navigon reroutes much quicker. Navigon also has a much more natural sounding voice and it's the easiest to input addresses.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

and if you JB, navigate from maps is a must..

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 for navigon

14. niagara macrumors newbie

G-Map+US East

I am using G-Map+US East.

Usage is simple, the price is cheap.

I am satisfied.

15. michelle70 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not decide yet....

I'm still think about Navteq map because my friends told me somthing.

16. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

18. michelle70 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought....

Thank you...

I bought G-Map+US East.
    Because cheap, good features.....:D:D:D

19. Aaron1021 macrumors member

What this guy said.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I bought Magellan and the 2.0 update has made it a very very good GPS app.

It integrates everything more with iOS UPIs. When you want to add an address, you can call up one from your address book instead of having to type it all in. The only problem is if you have something as "Main Street" instead of "Main St," it won't import it automatically. You have to go through each step with the data in the field and basically delete characters from "Street" back to "St," and then it'll find the address. But it's better than before.

The app comes with free map updates and free ad-supported traffic. The ads don't show up very often, and they may even be helpful. Plenty of POIs. Maps have to be in the app because it's 1.26GB. There's a docking cradle for your car that costs $100 that boosts GPS signal, adds a speaker and can serve as a speakerphone -- though my parents keep telling me they can't hear me on it -- and has an audio jack to go to your car stereo. There is also an iPod control button that you can use to pause, play and skip.

Can't compare it to others, but the 2.0 update has made it very nice.

21. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I use Co-Pilot, its cheaper than the likes of TomTom etc, but its been perfect for me.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

These all have voice turn by turn right? As in someone speaks to you and tells you to turn etc?

23. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

so you ask a question, and navigon is the clear answer from most. and you go and buy another...lol

navigon here.

24. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i remember trying to do research on this, and people were saying the tomtom routes made more sense than navigon's. that's also how i felt from personal experience.

25. psywzrd, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

psywzrd macrumors 68030

Please explain.

Forget it - didn't realize that was actually the name of an app from Cydia.