Recommend stylish everyday backpack pls

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dowjohnny, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Hey everyone

i am looking to buy a new backpack for everyday use (e.g. home to work or city). It should hold my 13" air and some other tech stuff like iPad, chargers, earphones etc. and maybe a jacket/sweater. So no large amount of gear to haul!

I have looked into the "usual" brands extensively however i find them boring or too sporty, i don't want to look like a lost hiker or sth. So i want something stylish and individual, hoping some mac-heads would be the right selection of people to ask ;)

Here is my favorite so gar, also to give you an impression what i like ;) (PinqPonq Square)

[​IMG]

Every help is highly appreciated!

Dowjohnny

2. romanhernandez macrumors newbie

romanhernandez

3. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Thanks for the input, i quite like TUMI and their style! Maybe need to look deeper into them, some of them are a little "too much" but some look good!

Thanks mate

4. Nbd1790 macrumors newbie

I would have to highly recommend Tumi. The speciality of the company is travel gear, which is going to leave you with a wide array of styles and sizes. Not only that, but they are very well made, waterproof and very protective of all your gear. If used with care, the bag could last almost 10 years. Personally have a Tumi T Pass Business Class backpack and its by far my favorite I've ever had. If you're looking for something a little more budget friendly, check out Incase Icon series backpacks. Have had a few friends say they loved it. Good luck!

5. elvers3110 macrumors newbie

6. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Thanks so much for all the input! TUMI might be a bit too expensive, also their products look very "business". On the other hand the quality is superb, i might need to look into them in person to get a feeling for the looks with my usual outfits. Timbuk2, Pacsafe and Incase will also be checked out =)

7. an-other macrumors regular

I've turned on a lot of people to Tumi backpacks. Everyone has one has been very pleased.

I'm pretty sure the T-tech line was discontinued. It was a less expensive range. Still solid stuff, and I have a mate who swears by his. (He regrets not buying two!)

I use the business standard Alpha line. Yes, it's not the cheapest option out there. I've never regretted the purchase. It's comfortable, solid-built/virtually bullet proof, great to travel with especially with a rolling suitcases, and a lot of nice features. Things that are especially useful are their "key" thingy and a somewhat hidden waterproof compartment I use to stow travel medication. The first thing I do when travelling is place my "home keys" in the key keeper. I've also never questioned the security of my stuff. it consumed on several trips 2 laptops and 2 tablets without issue. Never felt like it was over-strained or the straps couldn't keep up. You can also buy locks to secure the compartments.

I'd search for T-Tech gear if your looking to save money. There may be some of that line still out there. Otherwise, Tumi has a pretty big retail presence. Check it out. Maybe it won't be worth it to you. At least you'll have a measure to compare. I've been extremely satisfied with mine. I hope you get the same enjoyment/utility from whatever you pick.

8. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

9. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I'm on the lookout for a new backpack but am pretty underwhelmed by what i've come across thus far. Here are my basic requirements...

-durable & long lasting
    -light
    -carryon dimensions
    -"conservative" styling

Someone recommended GoRuck and i like them in general but am looking for what other alternatives there are out there.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Cheers

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How much are you prepared to pay?

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

GoRuck, TomBihn, Timbuck2, and their peers. BrooksReview has some decent bag reviews.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Depends on how closely it matches my requirements :). But since you asked, looking tokeep it within $300.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Over seven years ago, I spent a fortnight in Stockholm, on holiday. While there, in a small leather shop on a side street in Gamla Stan - the old medieval heart of the city, where I was staying - I bought a handmade leather rucksack, made from reindeer hide, soft, comfortable, stunning looking.

This was to replace a canvas rucksack, which I had bought less than a decade earlier, in Prague, made by the company Camel, and which had ripped (and which was not cheap - it was not too far off €300, certainly the high end of €200), spilling a camera.

With this in mind, I asked the gloomy couple (he made the handmade stuff that they sold, she ran the place - they also stocked leather goods made by others) who owned the shop how long I could expect the leather rucksack to last. "Longer than you will," was the tart reply. Swedish friends had inherited similar rucksacks from parents who would have attended university twenty or thirty years earlier, and they assured me that these rucksacks - it is an Arctic style - are easily intended to last at least half a century.

I bought it on the spot (it was over €500) but worth every cent; these days, I use it on short - overnight trips, or if I am away for two nights - and it travels as my hand luggage when I am flying, as the leather is so soft it can be squashed into any overhead bin, while yet being sturdy and surprisingly capacious.

14. jeyf macrumors 6502

limit the number of back pack out side pockets and keep it simple. Nothing like on the bike riding home from work on the freeway and wondering if you zipped up off the assorted of outside pockets

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I find that the outside pockets are very handy - for computer chargers (if I am away for more than a day - the MBA will last a day on a single charge), iPod chargers, and so on. Of course, it is important to make sure that they are closed/sealed properly when you are moving around.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The US companies Colonel Littleton and Saddleback make some very good quality stuff, but both are fairly pricey.

17. chiefsub68 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    My son bought this and it's superb. I've used Ortlieb on my bike for 20 years ... the same bags! https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Commuter Daypack Urban Line/