Recommendation for iPad (3rd Gen) Case to Protect Against Drops.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gts197, Apr 1, 2012.

1. gts197 macrumors regular

So here is my situation. I have had my new iPad since launch day and have been loving every second of it. I upgraded from an iPad 2 and I have been using my roocase that I purchased for my 2 to protect the new one. Unfortunately the roocase has the corners exposed and contributed to the cause of my iPads current situation. I dropped my iPad today on a corner and completely shattered the screen...very upset. Luckily I do have insurance and should be able to get it replaced for cheap.

When I get my replacement iPad I want to purchase a case that completely protects the device and does a good job of absorbing as most shock as possible for any drops. I would appreciate some recommendations! Thanks in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. C0bra K0mmander macrumors regular

C0bra K0mmander

4. gts197 thread starter macrumors regular

Otterbox looks like a good choice. The only thing holding me back though is the built in screen protector. Does anyone have any experience with this case? Does it take away from the retina display? I would imagine that it does. Thanks for the quick replies!

5. JasperLoki macrumors newbie

Not saying it's smart, or I would do it, however some people just remove the screen protector from the Otterbox (Iphone and Ipad) for some of the reason you mention. It's a nice protective case, either way. You will still have the rest of the protection.

6. Gary79 macrumors newbie

Gary79

It does take away from the display. Thanks to this forum, I fixed the problem. I popped out the screen protector, and put my own crystal protector, and it's beautiful. You will want to invest in Goo Be Gone, or another citrusy adhesive remover to get rid of the glue on the edge. I love this setup.

7. batotman macrumors 6502

Otterbox Defender, Griffin Survivor, Gumdrop Drop Tech. But I've heard complaints with screen protectors looking like dung with retina screen.

8. scdad macrumors newbie

scdad

9. amazonpam macrumors member

10. gts197 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great replies...can anyone recommend something similar in design to the roocase but completely covers the entire iPad? All your recommendations are great but some are a little to bulky for my liking...

See this link for the case I currently have:

http://www.roocase.com/Dual-Station...d--Black-ROOCASE/cat-p/c103673/p10518192.html

You can see how the corners are exposed and how it would not protect from a fall on its side. Thanks again!

11. riciad macrumors 6502

I have a Coolermaster Choiix case on the way thanks to the thread in this forum.
    However I was hoping to get a more protective case for the grandkids' use.
    I had planned on getting the Gumdrop but after reading reviews on Amazon.com that's it's an iPad 2 case they're shipping which seems to be a tight fit on the new iPad, and difficult to put on and probably even more difficult to take off, I'm hesitant to order it.
    Ideally I'd like to be able to switch cases easily although I wouldn't doing it constantly-mostly a weekday/weekend switch.
    I checked out the Big Grips frame for kids but my 6 year old grandson took one look at it and said that was only for babies.
    Mind you, my iPad 1G has been in constant use by an assortment of kids from 2 to 13 yeas of age and is still intact in its Switcheasy Vulcan case so maybe I'm being over-protective.
    I'd love to hear comments from anyone who is using a Gumdrop case on the new iPad.
    Thanks!

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have never dropped my iPads.

But I read about people that do all the time.

For those there is OtterBox:(

First time I saw one on a iPad, I thought someone was joking, it is one HUGE HONKER of a case! But if it is protection from constant dropping, it looks like it will do the job!

13. riciad macrumors 6502

I was considering the Otterbox too but thought it was too clunky looking and that the Gumdrop would be a suitable compromise especially for small hands.
    They would probably be more likely to drop the Otterbox.

14. cra1g0s macrumors newbie

Maroo Cases.

..protects against drops, looks cool, quality and customer service seal the deal.

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Nothing will protect a heavy panel of glass and aluminum from drops. And those that come close (Otterbox) are so big and heavy that you might as well just buy a laptop.

Be more careful. That's all you can do. And if another one breaks? Buy a new one; it's not like they're expensive. I broke a glass once. I didn't buy glasses covers; I bought a new glass.

BJ

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It does not work that way. Some people are more drop prone than others. It is not that they want to drop it or are careless, they just drop things.

Others don't or do only on very rare occasions.

Each most make their choices. ;)

17. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Carrying around a mobile device that is heavy and fragile comes with it's risks. That's all I'm saying. And anything that can really, truly offer complete drop protection is so cumbersome it completely defeats the purpose of the The New iPad to begin with.

I'm not a good swimmer. So I don't take a boat out into the Atlantic and start paddling around.

BJ

18. riciad macrumors 6502

19. cra1g0s macrumors newbie

...seriously, that is one ugly piece of kit. I have an Otterbox for my iPod Touch and it's great because it's a small device. I almost recommended the Otterbox to my wife for the new iPad but look at it, all plastic stand and rubber, it's awful. I decided to go with the Maroo case, no screen protector because really doesn't that just detract anyway?

Nothing stays pristine even though we try to take care but really, just use it, protect as you can and be happy, it's just a thing and not that important when you think about it.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So what is your point?:confused:

Are youy trying to swim with your iPad?:eek:

I know they make water resistant case for your iPhone but no so sure about your iPad.:rolleyes:

Dropping your iPad while in the water is a non-issue!:)

21. riciad macrumors 6502

At least the Gumdrop is a bit better looking than the Otterbox and what I'm looking for is a non-folio case for the kids that will be easy for them to hold, not too cumbersome and offer a reasonable level of protection because kids will be kids.

22. batotman macrumors 6502

I also believe the gumdrop is significantly lighter. I bought a couple of Otterbox cases for my iPad 1's I gave to my kids (under $15 each). Heavy and bulky as hell. Really overkill because they never broke them with Slider cases on. But, now that they are officially theirs, figured better safe than sorry.

----------

Also just ordered a Choiix case. Using a Poetic Hardback at the moment but hate the inability to fold the front flat on the back.

I've also heard the Gumdrop 2 cases are too tight and cause the screen shield to bow. They'll fix it soon, I'm sure.

And your grandson is right (and hilarious), those Big Grips are for babies!

23. cra1g0s macrumors newbie

I understand you need more protection with kids, what about this:

https://www.speckproducts.com/iguy-ipad-cover-blue.html