Recommendations for a decent 17" monitor (UK).

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Evolvere, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Evolvere macrumors member

Can anyone recommended a decent but cheap 17" monitor? It will only be used to provide a second screen to my 13" MacBook Pro when reading and editing documents, and so does not have to give particularly good colour or video performance. I'm happy to buy second-hand and my budget is as low as possible, around £60. If this is too low, please let me know.

A second question related to the first, is VGA or DVI? It seems a VGA only monitor is going to be cheaper, but I've heard some worries about clarity of text via VGA with Mac OS X. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. NiGoosHii macrumors newbie

4. Evolvere thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think maybe I'll check on eBay for 2008/2009 Dell monitors and hopefully pick up a bargain. I know £60 is cheap, but if they are selling for £88 new, it doesn't seem too unreasonable.

5. webmunki macrumors newbie

6. LastLine macrumors 65816

7. Evolvere thread starter macrumors member

I ended up buying a Dell P170S from a seller on eBay. It was new and only cost me £64 so I think I picked up a bargain. Working fine on my tiny desk next to my MacBook Pro. For anyone else interested, if you search eBay for 'p170s' the same seller has two more at a Buy It Now price of £75 with free postage.