recommendations for an uber cool 15" laptop bag?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JW8725, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a cool 15" laptop carry case/bag. Open to suggestions and recommendations with price being a secondary consideration. Thank you! :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-metro-black.html

Brenthaven make some very nice, well fitting bags. We got the Light Blue version for my mother-in-law's new MacBook. It will fit the 15" MBP's too.

I have a Brenthaven for my 17" MBP, and 2 friends also bought same bag for their 17".

3. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I love my ACME Made Slim Tote

Link

I have the flannel grey one and get many compliments and it suites my needs to boot.

4. akabenlee macrumors newbie

the request was for uber cool;oP

don't want to be negative but Brenthaven doesn't quite fit that bill IMHO, case in point - it was purchased for your mother-in-law.

i've got 4 bags that i use in rotation mainly cause i'm always searching for the right one myself. my favorites are:
    messenger style:
    the cargo bag by waterfield designs it has great reviews and is customizable to some degree.
    backpack: the North Face 'Bandwidth'
    briefcase: Zero Halliburton
    urban hipster: a crumple bag by parcel

my main thing was that i wanted a bag where i can open it and pull the computer out...i didn't want to open it and then open another compartment or sleeve to get it out.

so those are my four recommendations.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

ok - not sure what "mother-in-law" has to do with with it being a cool bag or not. Did you look at the bag? If I didn't need the extra storage room and had a smaller MB, I wouldn't hesitate to get the bag. If you read the complete post, I own a Brenthaven myself, as do two good friends of mine.

6. brooker macrumors regular

I totally second the Timbuk2 Bag. I use mine all the time. I used to have a large swiss army backpack (shock straps, padded lappy bag, everything) that i loved, but when i realized i could fit everything from the backpack into the timbuk2, i never went back.

Happy shopping, whatever you get!

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

The Timbuk2 is a great bag. I have the commute laptop bag which is perfect (with or without a laptop inside). If you buy a classic messenger bag you're going to need a sleeve as someone previously suggested.

The built in laptop protection in the commute is large enough for a 15" powerbook but not a 15.4" macbook pro :(

That's why I had to go buy an incase case yesterday, the CLS7004 (nylon sleeve graphite) at http://www.goincase.com/classics/
    I'm in incase fan, owned 2 bags previously so although it's a soon-to-be outdated bag (they're going to update their line soon I think) I bought it anyway.

Re: Brenthaven, I don't think they're "uncool" per say like my grandmother would use them. Rather, their bags are definitely not as thin as incase and have rather thick bulky padding (which would be great if I dropped my bag). But overall it reminds me of older style laptop bags that are like padded briefcases.

Apple sells them so they have to be cool. They're just not as chic, depending on your tastes :)

8. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Boog baby

I find that I don't really use 'computer specific' bags and usually just want a sleeve to protect it, whether I carry it in a suitcase, backpack, or messenger bag.

I've owned Crumpler cases and they are ok, but this sleeve is my favorite:

http://booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.74/.f

9. MacWanted macrumors newbie

MacWanted

Foofbag sells some nice laptop sleeves. When/if I get my MacBook I will definately save up for a foofbag.

10. glowbugfarms macrumors newbie

Cool bag

Just posted this about a 12" but they say it fits the 15 also. I can attest to the fack that it is a super cool bag, that not everyone has. The laptop sleeve comes out and the shoulder strap attaches to it so you can carry just your computer and leave the full bag back in the hotel room. Kinda cool http://www.groundwear.com/products.php?style=62

11. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If you really want an "uber cool" bag for your Macbook Pro, i suggest buying not buying a laptop bag, but, instead, a backpack and a laptop sleeve.
    Here are some of my favourites:
    The first one is Nike SB (£60), and the second is Know1edge x In4mation (not yet for sale).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Or something simpler:
    The first is Maharishi (£38) and the second is Medicom x Maharishi (£73)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All amazing bags, but the prices are not for all...

12. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

13. Sup3rL4m3r macrumors newbie

Sup3rL4m3r

As an avid bagophile - I have a couple recommendations:

1) Shaun Jackson Designs - Backoffice Product
    http://www.sjdesign.com/

2) Booq bags backpack system with vyper sleeve (as posted by member, above)
    http://booqbags.com/

I have a 12" Powerbook and have happily used the Lapdog (for smaller laptops) for this laptop, my Presario, and before that, my Powerbook 3400.

Good luck!

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I recommend Crumpler for uber cools bags. They're quality fabrics, great colours and will out last many of the bags on the market today.

15. Winterfell macrumors regular

I love my Crumpler. I got the Part and Parcel model for my 15" MBP and couldn't be happier. It fits it well, manages to look great while not looking like a laptop bag, and has room to spare while keeping a pretty slim profile.

I also have a Brenthaven Metro which is nice, but it doesn't have much room once the laptop is packed.

16. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I second this...i have one and get compliments all the time...not many people have seen or heard of it which is a selling point for me; i dont like having the same bag as everyone else...also, Men's Fitness gave a review on it about a year back...

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Ill second a Crumpler bag. I've had two of them, and they are great!

19. apfel macrumors newbie

I think the Timbuk2 bag is the smart choice. The bags look good and are very durable and practical but I think they are not uber cool..
    I think that the Lydon bag from Knomo (www.knomobags.com) in lime green pony skin looks uber cool.

However, I ordered an Ipod case from Knomo before and the quality was poor (a metal piece on the inside scratched my Ipod). In addition customer service was very poor. To sum it up:
    All their products look very cool but based on my experience I would not recommend buying anything from them.

20. langston77 macrumors newbie

kempton & darrow bag

I carry a kempton & darrow laptop handbag. Accomadates up to a 17" mac screen and looks like a trendy purse. Now I only carry one bag and the laptop compartment is padded so I dont worry about protecting it. I got one for my daughter as well for school...

kemptondarrow.com

http://kemptondarrow.com
    http://facebook.com/kemptondarrow

21. inhoo89 macrumors newbie