Recommended Pre-paid tariff for Italy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ConnYoungy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend a good tariff for using an iPhone in italy?

I don't want to pay hideous roaming charges so I'm just going to get a local simcard, but trying to translate carriers websites is NOT fun aha.

Im looking for mostly data, not fussed about minutes or free texts, and pre-paid because obviously a contract would be silly for just a two week trip.

Maybe someone out there has experience they'd be kind enough to share?
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

2. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I would also like to know that answer to this.

3. Fleon85 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 3 carriers that have the iPhone are 3 ita, vodafone italia and Tim I was looking an I think Tim has the best offer. www.Tim.it. I used to have vodafone but I think now Tim is cheaper

4. wordoflife, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Use Google Chrome, it will automatically translate the websites for you.
    I would recommend Vodafone Italy. I'm not sure what the rates are and how it compares to others, but it works very well.
    If I can tell correctly, you can get 250MB for 3€ and 1GB for 10€. I'm guessing those are just add-ons though.

Bouna Fortuna!

5. Paradoxpm macrumors member

I am using Vodafone with the 3€/week mobile internet stuff.

6. ConnYoungy, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! ill have a look at this vodafone one again. The problem with using google to translate the webpages is that it doesn't translate text in images, and loads of carrier sites use lots of graphics and stuff

Could anyone be kind enough to point me to a link where you can actually buy a simcard? pretty please :p

*Also when i try and register on Vodafone's website the first thing it asks for is my mobile number, which obviously i don't have yet

7. Daveoc64, Aug 7, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm not 100% sure on all this, but Italy has very strict rules on buying a SIM. You'll probably have to buy it in person and you need to have a number similar to a social security number to do so (a Codice Fiscal). Anyone can apply for this number (you don't need to be an Italian resident), but it is quite hard to obtain one through the official channels.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Get a SIM from the airport.
    That's what my friend did. They took some info, charged his CC, and his was on his way.

9. Paradoxpm, Aug 7, 2011

Paradoxpm macrumors member

Don't follow this advice. A fake Codice Fiscale is useless (and illegal).

10. gpat macrumors 6502a

TIM: TIMXSmartphone - 2€/week for 250MB/week
    Vodafone: Mobile Internet - 3€/week for 250MB/week, also VOIP is blocked
    Wind: Internet No Stop - 9€/month for 1GB/month, afterwards free navigation with 32k throttling
    H3G (3): SuperInternet - 5€/month for 100mb/day.

I would get TIM, as it has unbeatable coverage and at least EDGE-level connectivity everywhere. Vodafone and Wind can get down to GPRS speeds, and 3 is 3G only, and roams on TIM in 2G areas (and you pay a lot for internet in roaming).

11. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

@gpat thanks! please could you point me to a link where i can buy a microsim on that tariff? Im having a nightmare trying to navigate the site in italian

12. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'm also going to be in Italy in September about 1.5 weeks (Treviso, Venice, Milan) and the TIMxSmartphone plan seems perfect. I'll be coming from Germany, there for 3 weeks. So would the TIMxSmartphone plan work with the iPhone 4? Do they offer microSIM cards or would I have to bring along a SIM c.tter?

Another question for the iPhone 4-wielding Europeans, if I were to use Vodafone in Germany, would I be able to use it in Italy on the Vodafone network or would I have to switch SIMs? If I'm able to use just one SIM in both of those countries that'll be super dope. Thanks, yall...,

13. gpat macrumors 6502a

http://www.tim.it/consumer/c365/i3368/ricercaprodotti.do?vism=false&idsm=-1&13389=13390&98311=98313

These are the SIM cards. I don't know if they ship abroad, and you should specify that you only want the TIMxSmartphone option and not the others bundled with the card. They should supply a MicroSIM with no issue, but you can cut the SIM yourself if they say it's not possibile. Maybe your best bet is to buy the SIM once you arrive in Italy, at the airport or in a retail store. You could also buy the iPad MicroSIM, activate the 1GB option with the credit on the card and use it on the iPhone, it should be alright as they use the same access point.

Also the TIMxSmartphone option is free for the first month, so you shouldn't pay anything other than the 10€ of the SIM if you plan to stay for <1 month.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You'd have to pay European roaming rates, which are much lower than those of the US, but still quite expensive.

Roaming rates are capped within the EU.

15. acoustic- macrumors member

That's amazing! I went to tim.it specifically to have it translated, since I've never seen that feature in Chrome.

SWEET!

16. 2ms macrumors 6502

I'm amazed by how many people there are in this thread with unlocked iPhones! iPhones in Italy cost like $900 or something and of course all US phones are locked.

You people have unlocked iPhone 4s?

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They started selling unlocked iPhones in the United States, but to answer your question, many carriers offer to unlock iPhones that are bought through them.

18. 2ms macrumors 6502

Not to go too off topic, but I thought ATT will not unlock for any cost (and Verizon is CDMA and wouldn't work in Italy).

How much are unlocked iPhones in the US?

19. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK iPhones bought directly from Apple aren't locked to a carrier :)

20. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I see. I suppose I'll just go with two different SIM cards for my trip then.

Thanks for your help!

21. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still can't find the TIMxSmartphone option on that link, am i just being stupid?

22. gpat, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

gpat macrumors 6502a

That's the shop page where you can buy SIM cards.
    Here's the link to the option: http://www.tim.it/consumer/o124079/tariffa.do

23. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!
    although I finally find somewhere to actually buy one and....cant because i don't have a codice fiscale, how annoying!