iPad Recommends to safely clean an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Charliebird, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Can anyone provide recommendations how to safely clean an iPad screen and aluminium back?

(I would searched this forum for this information but search is still disabled)

2. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'm partial to a microfiber cloth with a corner dampened with water...

I think I picked up a pack of 100 or so at Costco... Single use them for cleaning stuff, then throw them into the wash. They work great on displays.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

I simply use a wash cloth or hand towel. Simply dampen one end, wipe your device, use the dry end to dry and polish - easy-peasy.

What you need to be careful of:
    1). Always use a CLEAN cloth. So if you're out and about and decide to use the tail of your t-shirt be aware that small particles of sand/dirt might be on your shirt and scratch your device,

2). Don't use any chemicals like Windex etc. Not good for the coating. I did get a can of Zagg screen cleaner (it was a freebie sent with some other items) and it was really good. If you decide to use a cleaner get one designed for screens, not windows.

3). ALWAYS USE A CLEAN CLOTH (worth noting twice because this is the most important part regardless of the liquid you use).

This question comes up a lot. I'm sure mostly from young men who have no experience cleaning 'stuff'. Take it from an old woman who knows about cleaning and tech. Don't over think it. Don't make it expensive when it doesn't have to be. But DO USE A CLEAN CLOTH. :D

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I like microfiber cloths too. You can use them dry for a quick wipe down or dampened for a more thorough clean.
    As has been said earlier, use a clean cloth.

5. tandeh macrumors regular

I have the moshi glove does good, but you need to wash it after bit

6. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

Old t-shirt and some iKlear cleans the whole thing like brand new.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

9. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

+1

10. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Microfiber cloths do a great job of cleaning them.

11. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Tongue, then a quick wipe down the back of you trouser leg :)

12. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I generally wash mine in warm soapy water and stick it in the plate rack to dry on my draining board. However my recommendation is just to use a dry microfibre cloth and buff out any finger marks. :)

FIN

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

If you mean the microfiber rags that Costco sells its a pack of 30 and they are impregnated with chemicals (smell a new one). I would not use those at all for cleaning the iPad.

Goto BBB and get some decent ones.

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

AFter years of using the iPad I have found that no chemicals are required. A clean microfiber cloth does the trick. If you got food:mad: or other dried stuff on your screen, shame on you. Just dampen the cloth slightly and it will go away. No need to go out and buy a cleaner.:rolleyes:

16. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Doesn't running them through the wash solve those problems? These might be the same rags that I wash my car with :)

17. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    spit and the end of your shirt and/or sleeve. :cool:

Slightly more seriously, gorilla glass is really durable stuff. IMO products like iKlear are a waste of money. Just use a damp cloth with water (any cotton cloth will work) and clean away.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I use baby wipes and facial wipes to clean my gadgets:eek:. They stay clean and haven't been damaged. If the device has a screen protector on then I'll go ahead and use the wipes to clean the screen otherwise I'll use my sleeve if the screen is naked.

19. wjereb macrumors member

I have a friend who has a special needs child and he does unbelievable stuff with his iPad. Dances on it, eats on it, tosses it around. Each one generally lasts about a year. Just shows you the durability of it. He uses windex to clean it.

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

Trust me, no.

----------

I doubt its good for the oleo-phobic glass coating. Same for windex.

21. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Not to diverge from the theme of this thread - but I'd think that washing those things in hot water would remove any/most chemicals.

If your basing your thoughts on how they still repel water - I think that's a matter of surface tension and the material used to make up the towels.

I claim no expertise on this...

22. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

For the back I use a lysol wipe. On the glass display I use a slightly damp glasses cleaning cloth.

23. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

Use what apple stores use for theirs. I saw a bottle of cleaner sitting out yesterday and tried it on an iPad, worked perfectly. Big problem is I forgot what it was called :eek: you could always ask them though.

24. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I keep a clean microfiber cloth that I use. I'm afraid to yes any kind of solution on it. The dry cloth is really enough to keep my Air clean and fingerprint free.

25. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Correct. I use a little of my own breath and it works awesome. No cleaners or detergents. Nothing rough or harsh. That's all.:)