Resolved Reconnect unsupported Leopard/Snow Leopard Macs to Dropbox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Apr 11, 2015.

1. pr100 macrumors newbie

pr100

Thanks…I was fine with Nathan's fix until I read the comments to the Os version number hack and checked the size of my cojones. It would only take an unexpected crash to force a reboot at the wrong time; and although there's a fix posted for the mayhem that ensures after rebooting, I'm sweating at the prospect.

I'll hang on for a bit to see whether Czo can help. If not, I'll check my cojones again…

2. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

The probability of that happening is very small, but you know your self and your situation much better than I do so do what you are most comfortable with.

All I can say is I had no issue. However, I have a bunch of other Macs that I could connect the affected Mac to in TDM and fix things should that have happened. Not everyone does.

Hope Czo can fix this for you.

3. Czo macrumors 6502

Hi folks!

Recompiled my patch to universal binary (previous versions are powerpc only), so i hope it's now working on any powerpc or intel macs. But, i don't have any intel 10.5 system, so i can't test it.

4. pr100 macrumors newbie

pr100

Czo, you are a superstar! Your new universal binary works perfectly on my Intel Core Duo Os 10.5.8 iMac and I am back in business!

A big THANK YOU from me. Can I donate something? Do you need any graphics, eg logos, letterhead, business card? (now that I can upload them to my Dropbox!)

5. pr100 macrumors newbie

pr100

Given the latest universal binary fix from Czo (#128), this thread could be re-titled:
    "Reconnect unsupported PowerPC & Intel Macs to Dropbox"

6. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

I may have to contact a MOD for that. Give me a while.

7. JPWG macrumors newbie

JPWG

I've tried both the original fix (post #71) as well as the most recent (post 118), but haven't had any success on my PowerBook G4 (10.4.11).

When I attempt the first fix, I cannot unarchive the "Dropbox.app.zip" file (Archive Utility says "Unable to unarchive . . . into Desktop (Error 1 - Operation not permitted).

When I attempt the second fix, I can get at far as the "Authenticate" screen (Admin password screen), which, after entering my password, causes a "Couldn't start Dropbox" message, stating "This is usually because of a permissions error." Repairing permissions didn't rectify the issue.

Any ideas?

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

The download from post 118 is the most current. Previously, the fix in post 81 was complete, but after Czo updated it, it was only partially uploaded - hence it results in the error you have. That's why I asked him to provide a new download (post 118).

I'll have to go back and re-edit the first post so people don't get tripped up.

As to Tiger, it seems you are experiencing what another Tiger user has. I'm not sure what he fix there is. I don't know why Czo's patch would only work on Leopard. So far he's not be able to track the fix down.

9. JPWG macrumors newbie

JPWG

10. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

In the meantime, as I suggested above, you should still be able to modify the system version plist file and reconnect Dropbox that way. You'll just need the version of Dropbox you were using before DB cut us off.

11. JPWG, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

JPWG macrumors newbie

JPWG

When you mention modifying the system version plist file, are you referring to NathanJHill's solution (post 43)?.

If so, I've tried that - it didn't work (though I didn't install the version of Dropbox that I was using before we were cut off).

And, unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to recall which version I had running when we were cut off; I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning . . .

12. Czo macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard and Leopard almost seems identical with an eye of a software developer. Tiger is completely different. Tiger missing some apis that dropbox use, and if we fool dropbox to see a newer system, dropbox using the newer apis that available on Leopard and missing on Tiger. So, to make the fix working on Tiger, is not easy. Sorry for that, but i don't have time/affinity to try to make this fix to work on Tiger.

13. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

I contacted a MOD to have the thread title updated. Considering the latest news that none of these fixes seem to work for Tiger users I had the thread title changed to: Reconnect unsupported Leopard Macs to Dropbox.

That way we don't get the hopes up for Tiger users.

14. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

Just a note, that the mods in the Dropbox community forums are now censoring the links to this thread. Wondered what took them so long!

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Bitter much? I can't believe they are being so unprofessional, just plain ridiculous.

16. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

I have friends who are software engineers, R&D engineers and project managers for a major page layout application (not InDesign) so I'm much more aware of what goes on and how/why resources are allocated than most average people. I don't say that arrogantly, its just a fact because I've talked to these people about these things for years.

From Dropbox's perspective, PowerPC is a minute and declining portion of their user base. Dedicating finite resources to making sure that PowerPC Macs are still supported means they have to pay someone's salary to do this, for the uncertain possibility that it will be useful to a dwindling minority.

That's really not a wise allocation of resources when you can have those people working on the stuff that is Drobox's bread and butter. And quite frankly, Dropbox is one of the few companies that supported us into 2015.

That said, it was unnecessary for Dropbox to code something in that cuts us off deliberately. Most of us would have been okay with an announcement of no further support with no guarantee of future compatibility. That would have been fine because we all would have understood that it could stop working at any time when a change broke something.

But, instead they chose to institute OS version checking. And that was a dirty move on their part. And now they are trying to censor workarounds by insinuating that a third party solution might make your computer vulnerable. At the same time they ignore the offer of free work by a developer.

What it means is that Dropbox is now just a business where the engineers work to fulfill the business decisions. It's no longer about the vision it originally was - making your files accessible anywhere on any device. It's purely profit motivated now and PowerPC users bring little profit to Dropbox.

17. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

So they have expended effort to deliberately cut off users and are still taking the trouble to censor others efforts. What if they had spent their time going the other way? :rollseyes:

18. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

You know, I wonder if apple gives some kind of incentive to developers to actively remove support to older hardware. That way apple can sell more new stuff perhaps?

19. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

Totally agree!
    That's one of the things postulated in the thread over there on their community forums about this.

Of course there is no proof, and it's certainly not illegal. But I would not be surprised to find out it was true. If, as I suggest, Dropbox has gone completely corporate than this kind of thing would be absolutely in line with that. Which would mean the vision for Dropbox is truly dead.

20. Czo macrumors 6502

Before i made this workaround, i made an offer, to continue PowerPC support for free.

21. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

Exactly! And they ignored you. Which to me indicates that this is strictly a business decision.

22. Salumbre macrumors newbie

Salumbre

Coming late to the party, but just wanted to say that Czo's trick works a treat in my monster G5, aka Silverlance. I discovered it today via Google, and just had to drop by and say thank you.

23. eyoungren thread starter macrumors Core

eyoungren

@Czo. I think Dropbox is on to your faker!

Any way to fix it so they detect a newer version?

Finder.png

24. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

Looks like it is connected to this regular query or attempt to update Dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/6251

Sounds like we may need to fake the version string too.

25. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

Well, I can at least initially confirm that changing the version number in the Info.plist doesn't fix anything.