Recording from digital input Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koruki, Mar 6, 2010.

1. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Hey guys just wanted to know if anyone has tried using the digital input on the mic for recording. As most of you know the Macbook pro has digital out/in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2541

I peeked inside the mic hole and there is a diode or some sort just like the output.

I have a digital out from another source running into it, so how do you actually pick it up and record it to a file?

thanks,

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

When you connect a source to the digital in, you can select it in the Sound Preferences as Input, or directly [as an input source] in your audio editing software (GarageBand, for instance).

As for the connector itself, it's a TOSLINK to mini-plug 3.5mm adapter (assuming you have a TOSLINK cable coming from the source). You can find them through Amazon, NewEgg, etc.

3. drech macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure Logic 8 saw and could use the port. I never tried it with anything else (and my mac is dead atm, so can't check).

You using a toslink cable with the 3.5 mm optical plug? The hollow-ish tip lets it pass the stereo in to hit the digital.

Under Applications/Utilities there is a MIDI/Audio app that allows you to configure various stuff. You might have to tweak it up in there.

4. koruki thread starter macrumors 6502a

koruki

Yup its working thanks guys, just had to select a different input using Audacity in Preferences. Digital In, doesnt let you choose it in the UI.. weird but oh well working now thanks a lot.

Been having fun ripping SACD from PS3 and recording it through the digital input in 24bit 96khz, amazing quality difference! :D

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

6. OpusOne macrumors newbie

Excellent news

This is indeed exciting. I have a rather large collection of SACDs, and I have been wondering what to do with them after I have ripped my entire CDs collection into my music server.
    I have a 60G PS3 that is capable of SACD playback. Is there some special tweek or set up to go through to enable 24/192 output on the toslink output to feed into the Macbook pro?
    Thanks in advance.

7. dallasmacbook macrumors newbie

I don't see anything on my MBP 13" to indicate I have the digital IN option. Is this something that's only on the larger MBPs? I have a ART DIO AD/DA converter and wanted to use it to record some hard to find vinyl albums but it does not seem like I have that option.