Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillRuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
There may already be a post for this, but I am looking for the cheapest way to be able to record my video game gameplays. I would prefer not to spend more than $100-150.

WillRuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
sorry being vague. I mean I have my xbox 360 and PS3 hooked up to a TV, what is the best way to be able to record that gameplay on the tv and be able to edit it on a mac.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
HD PVR will cost 150-200 and record in hd, while doing all live h264 encoding on its own, while you can get elgato's eyetv software for mac.
Elgato has some sd capture devices that come with eyetv software that you can use on mac. And if I'm not mistaken, they also have a new hd capture device, but hd pvr is more suited for recording gameplay.
DVD recorders record in SD, but you also have to get a program that transcodes .vob files into more suitablae mp4 files like avidemux or handbrake.

All 3 options work with a mac, but there are lots of other of options that work under windows as well.

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Hauppauge HD PVR is your best bet. Its about $150-$200 dollars though. If you want HD then thats the your best bet. I've had mine for over a year and I love it

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
If you don't *have* to have HD, there are lots of affordable capture cards out there to do composite/s-video. If you're just putting it up on YouTube to brag about how good you are anyway, you probably don't need HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.