Recovered iPhone requires iCloud login FAIL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrizzleFryBen, Oct 29, 2013.

1. FrizzleFryBen macrumors 6502

So here's my deal. I went to update my iPhone and it failed so I had to restore it from my computer. It then required me to enter the password for the email address I originally setup my first iPhone with 5 years ago.

Here's the problem. I don't know it. I can't recover it since the email address doesn't exist anymore (nor can it be recreated). I attempted to change the password but the first question asks for my birthday, which it says is incorrect.

Does anyone know any workarounds? I'm without a phone and I'm going nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Take it to an Apple store and they can do a factory restore on it and you can use it as if it was out-of-the-box new

3. FrizzleFryBen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I thought about that, but then I couldn't restore it as I'd be in the same situation. I was hoping for another way. Plus I hate going to the apple store :(

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

have you tried your current apple ID, the one you have been using with that phone?

5. FrizzleFryBen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Tried that, sadly it will only accept the ancient one that I don't know credentials for.

6. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

How would the phone have ever gotten your old ID from 5 years ago? Is it an iCloud id?

7. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Something isn't right lol, how did you get that Apple ID unto your phone in the first place?

My opinion right now is you jacked the phone and are asking if there is a workaround which right now not even the apple store can restore the phone even if you show them proof of purchase. But I may be wrong and maybe you did auctally forget the password to your apple id

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

This thread is the second similar one I've seen in the last couple days. I'm sure this issue will be relatively common, and in many cases the posters will have a legitimate issue.

When I upgraded to iOS 7 I was asked to enter my Apple ID password, which I thought that was to prevent issues like this one. In the other thread they mentioned they used separate Apple IDs for iCloud and the App store, so maybe the iCloud password isn't required when updating. Also since that process occurs on an update, I'm not clear if entering the password is required if you restore a backup to a phone already running iOS 7.

9. FrizzleFryBen thread starter macrumors 6502

Touché. Which is actually the point of the security measures :)

Long story short... I setup my iPhone using my email address at my company. A year ago I left the company and handed off the iCloud login to someone else as I used it to purchase software for my creative team. After I left, the person who changed the password was laid off and has fallen off the grid.

----------

Precisely. What I don't understand is the requirement when restoring from the same devise that's been used for a backup.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure the exact method you used to get in the situation you are in, but it sounds like it is possible if you restore an old backup to a phone running iOS 7. I think Apple should require you to enter your password at least once to turn the activation lock on. Hopefully you can get this problem sorted out. If you have AppleCare I'd recommend giving Apple a call prior to heading to the Apple Store. If you don't then there is a fee for calling them, but it still might be worth a try. Even without a support agreement they will often listen to hear what the issue is and they may offer some guidance.

11. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Never heard of this before. Especially not anold email address only being accepted.

I am pretty cynical so I believe this is just another case of stollen a phone now trying to find how to get in to it.

My advice take it back where you got it or hand it in to the authorities and just say you found it inthe street.

12. FrizzleFryBen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I suppose I should buy a buddy a beer for use of their phone. I think we may have come to this. I appreciate the suggestion.

----------

Maybe I should have been more clear. This is a 4s that I've owned for two years. I thought my previous posts made it clear it is my phone and how I ended up in this situation.

13. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

I sort of had this happen when I updated to my 5S but it turned out my icloud account had been hacked and the hacker had changed the password. I had to go through and reset my password by answering security questions before I could access my account.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

try the apple store. if the phone has always been on your account, they should have a machine in the back or an app to let you restore your phone

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol really? there is no "magic machine" to fix a device that is stuck in the activation lock.

16. dazedxar macrumors member

No Apple will not restore ANY phone stuck on activation screen even if you show them the receipt with the serial number on it. Even if you have 100% proof that the phone is yours, they will not restore it if it's stuck in activation screen. Lost your password to your Apple Id account? Too bad, you have a useless phone.

17. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I highly doubt that if you can present a receipt and prove the phone is yours you will have a problem. I'm sure they have a way, try calling.

18. dave420 macrumors 65816

They might not be able to restore it, but I'm willing to bet if you provide all the necessary documentation they have some leniency to replace the phone the same way they replace a phone that has a warranty issue.

19. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

When you upgraded to iOS 7 (from Sept 18th) you were required to enter an apple ID and password at the initial boot. This is the Apple ID that is assigned to iCloud services including find my phone. Find my phone controls the activation lock.

Try logging into iCloud.com and logging into your normal apple ID there. See if you have find my phone enabled and disable it.

Then do a DFU restore on your phone. If you have disabled find my phone, then you should be able to restore and activate your phone successfully.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.
    If it really was your phone and your apple ID and password you'd be able to get in.
    And if you forgot the password you would be able to reset the password or contact apple and prove that its your apple ID account.
    You left a company a long time ago and were still using a work email and you never changed it for over a year and sounds like a wild story to me.
    There is no other way, and if you hate going to the apple store then maybe you will hate to be stuck with a paperweight. Your choice.
    There is no way to bypass that security feature, its there to stop the growing problem of idevices theft.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What documentation? There's no way to definitively prove who owns an item.

You have a receipt? How do I know you didn't steal the receipt or sell the product on to someone else?

When you restore an iOS device, it must be reactivated. As the name of the feature implies, the activation lock is applied when the device needs to be activated, rather than at any other point.

22. AK10R macrumors regular

FYI

My apple ID is my work email smithJ@acme-widgets.com, I've had this id for my ipod before the iPhone came out. My iCloud id is john.smith@me.com.

When I updated my iphone 4 to ISO 7.X.X it asked for my apple id password which is my work email acme-widgets.com, this is the account that allows me to buy thing on iTunes.

For find my iphone I login to my icloud @me.com address….
    I was having an issue with imessage so I even tried to login to find my iphone with my work id… which is my apple id, it would not let me do so.

I guess all that was for, one may have an apple ID that is different icloud…… and that I’m stuck at work with not much to do right now…..

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

My receipt from Apple has my name, phone number, address, and iPhone serial number on it. My phone was registered to my Apple ID immediately after purchase. I also have insurance with Squaretrade and with AT&T. I guarantee if my iPhone stops working because of the activation lock today I would get a replacement device from someone.

24. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Try signing into "Find my iPhone" on the website, and turn it off. Then, DFU the phone. This should disable activation lock and let you activate the phone successfully.

25. alent1234 macrumors 603

apple has the records of everyone who buys their products, all the devices on the apple ID, etc