Recovered stolen iphone, warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ruckus12, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Ruckus12 macrumors member

Hi, I'm new here.. and i have a few questions..

Recently my car got stolen with my iphone inside, and the car was recovered and the phone was suprisingly still with the car... however, my iphone is experiencing some problems, the home button will not work nor the mic or speaker.. or the charger port for that matter..

Does my warranty still cover my iphone? Im afraid what if the theives did something to it i don't know about to void warranty to it, no fingerprints found on it though.. and i checked the water sensors (both of them) and they are still white..

I also ask this is because i don't want to go to the genius bar, get a replacement phone then get a call from apple or something telling me the phones been screwed with and i'll be the one in trouble..

So i guess my second question would be, if something like that were to happen in which i got a replacement phone and they later found out that it had water damage but the sensors didnt trigger, or it has been opened and tampered with or whatever, will they track me down and punish me for it?

Just want my iphone to work again :( Thanks all..

edit: This is an iphone 3g

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go ahead and take it in, probably get a new one. It's still under warranty. Do a restore on the iPhone via iTunes. They might have you just return it. Congrats on getting your car and iPhone back...:cool:

3. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Sounds like BS to me.....post the police report.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Take the iPhone and the police report to an Apple Store. People usually have some leeway to decide whether a repair is under warranty or not, so that police report might get you a warranty repair where most people wouldn't get it.

On the other hand, your car insurance or household insurance might have to pay for any damage; check that out as well.

5. Ruckus12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, ill take both to the apple store, i don't have a scanner or anything right now but i dont see how its relevant to my question? thanks for all the others for your help

6. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

that jerk, doodad, is nothing but a troll. ignore him.

glad to hear you got the car back and the phone. very cool. sounds like you have a pretty good PD there! wish we had the same here!:mad:

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which "jerk"?

8. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

The one that's nothing but a troll? Was it this one? :)

Attached Files:

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

If there is somthing not working on your phone then I would return it. You don't have to tell Apple it was stolen and returned to you. Once a genius checks it out and gives you a new one that should be the end of it.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Warranty != insurance, but genius bar has been known to work their magic for those that suffered injustice :).