recovering drug addict, when will life be normal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benlangdon, Feb 18, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

so...
    i am a recovering drug addict.
    i have since not hung out with any of my old friends.
    its been the better part of 2 years.
    i have started to take school seriously and getting close to a 4.0.

But, i haven't gained any friends since then.
    my social life was a very large part of my life and now its nonexistent.

how ?

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Impossible for somebody who's not in that position to say.

All I can say is I wish you all the luck in the world and new friends will come along.

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

What do you like to do in your spare time? Try meeting some people who have the same interests as you.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I understand the pain. Many of my favorite social gatherings takes place with drugs involved. If you don't mind me asking, which drugs are you getting over.

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

weed
    cocaine
    vocadine

ya... things i like to do.
    things that i do? or things i like to do?

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Try looking at some clubs to join, or finding people with similar interests in your area, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some new friends.

I don't know how the American education system works, but when you get to uni you'll meet more new people than you can handle.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Hmm, the cocaine and vocadine will get you in trouble. Very addicting. I'm a big fan of drugs have been able to manage them well with my work and school life. I stay away from the drugs that are scientifically classified as addictive.

I smoke weed quite often. Other drugs I use throughout the year are ecstasy, LSD and mushrooms. Anything beyond that I stay away from.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/

I've never taken illegal drugs, and as of yet I have no plans to, so OP unfortunately I can answer you with nothing but a wish of good luck.

9. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya dude weed is addicting. i was smoking like 5-9 times a day minimum. its like a crutch.

and e not being addictive come on. why are there so many etards then

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

As a scientist, this post scares me.

11. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I kind of know what you are going though, just not with the hard drugs.

During my senior year, all of my friends were older and already at college and I was stupid and broke up with my girlfriend so I pretty much had no one to talk to or even hang out with so I started just being anti-social (probably the reason I don't have any friends at uni either) and taking allergy meds. I soon became addicted and was driving to school high, taking tests high, and going home to get high. Luckily my grades didn't suffer some how, but it started to get out of hand and soon i realized it was a problem.

I am glad to hear you are sober for 2 years, I know I wish I could say that, but the main thing to remember is that do what you think is best. It might seem kind of weird but try going to one of the religious groups around campus, I hear a lot of those have really big turnouts and you don't really have to be obsessed to go to them. I am really agnostic so I couldn't go and sit through one, but if you are really looking to met some people to try and help get through it go for it. My other suggestion would be try to convince your friends to go clean too, even if it just one, you'll be doing a world of good to him/her.

good luck man

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yes I smoke marijuana cause I enjoy it. Marijuana is not physically addictive though. I don't crave it. I don't smoke before I go to class. I don't smoke it before I go to work. If I run out I am not incapable until I find some more. If I had to stop cold turkey for a job interview or something I would be able to do so just fine.

I haven't stopped smoking marijuana yet because I have no need too. I am not having problems in my life related to it. I manage a very good life with my marijuana usage.

You smoking 9 times a day seems more like a personal problem. As for ecstasy, you have e tards because they are stupid and don't know when to stop. Probably the same problems you are having. I will do ecstasy once every few months if that, more in the summer when festival time is here.

I don't wake up in the morning and say "Man, taking some ecstasy would be great today." And even when I do ecstasy, I take a few pills max. Many e-tards I know will eat them like candy because they are stupid.

So please, don't equate your personal problems with mine. I am doing just fine.

Oh really, may I ask why? Just because I enjoy drugs doesn't mean I do them non stop. I do them in moderation. Out of all the drugs I've done in my life, alcohol has made me feel the worse.

jon

13. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

John Stuart Mill and Thomas Szasz would be interested by some of the comments in this thread ;).

OP, I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. One day at a time. :)

14. Galapp macrumors regular

look, as someone who has studied a lot about drug addicts, I can tell you one thing. You have a past, you have some kind of "black spot" that you carry with, which is your past addiction. It takes time for people to get used to the fact you are over it... I want to tell you that you are in the thoughest place of all the recovery process... in which 80% of the people go back to addiction. I know it may be hard that your social life is perhaps minimal, but don't give up... I have some friends who recovered from addiction, and they said that the first years are the hardest since people still look at you as addict...

btw, I am being here honest with you... I don't want to offend you or depress you, but warn you. DO NOT LET GO! EVEN IF ITS VERY HARD, YOU WILL PASS IT!

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Also, allow me to rephrase. I meant addictive as in physically addictive.

The drugs I use are not physically addictive. They sure as hell can be mentally addicting and it seems that is what our thread starter was suffering from.

Drugs that would be physically addicting would be like meth, heroin, cocaine, opiate based pills, cigarettes, things of that nature. I do not do any of those drugs. I have many friends who do and they have a very hard time stopping sometimes because their body thrives on it. Notice how a few of those drugs mentioned were in our thread starters original post, hence the addiction problem.

Marijuana, mushrooms, MDMA and LSD are not classified as being physically addictive. I'm sure our scientist from Scotland can verify that for me.

jon

16. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I would think you'd have made new friends in your new life. Hang with those and forget about the ones in the past.

17. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I am sure the drugs you do are awesome for your brain and body!!

Can't believe users are allowed to advocate illegal drugs on this forum...

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Come on now, I didn't say doing drugs is like eating your vitamins or eating an orange for the day. That isn't what this discussion is about.

Click on the search button at the top of the page and you'll find many threads throughout this site where we have talked about drugs. I've been on this site 4 more years than you and I can be the first to tell you, we talk about everything on this site.

Also I am not advocating any drugs or telling anyone to go do them. We are simply sharing experiences. If this thread offends you than I suggest you hit the back button.

jon

19. GirthP macrumors regular

It's a real sign of your health and maturity that you are looking for help.

I quit pot 9 years ago. I smoked 5 times a day for 7-8 years. When I quit, all, and I mean ALL of my friends became conspicuously absent.

The thing that you said that is most interesting to me is your interest in "normal". I'd love to be able to share about how it was for me finding "normal". But I never have. The truth for me has been the acceptance that my life is scary as hell, and that my sensitivity to the ups and downs in a day are part of what attracted me to substance abuse.

I would encourage you to question the relevance and accuracy of the idea of "normal". And that most people that appear to be that, are in reality very abnormal.

I truly hope for the best for you, as I understand from my own experience, how wanting to be stable and normal can mean a very uncomfortable day-to-day life.

Anyone who claims to have an answer, or a quick fix, i'd be suspicious of.

Be well.

Brennan

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I may be in a similar state, I suspect I may be über sensitive to amphetamine psychosis. It's more likely due to something else though, I'll know in a week or so once a prescription med is out of my system

My drug consumption is similar to iJon's however I've done speed occasionally.

21. ToddW macrumors 6502a

you just got to take it one day at a time. that is it. the biggest thing is to look for support. go to an AA meeting or some other type of group.

life become normal when you finally separate yourself from your previous life style. surround yourself with positives. pick up a hobby that is low risk and meet people within that hobby.

good luck, remember one day at a time.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just keep telling your self that. There is a reason a lot of companies are starting to do the hair test to test for drugs. It will screw you over that way since that date back as log as your hair is. Some times a little longer.

That and do not forget the fun random drug test. It just makes you SOL. Test positive once and you are fired on the spot. Not eligible for rehire and it will hurt you in future jobs when those companies call asking if you worked there. They are allowed to ask if you are eligible for rehire. If the answer is no it makes it really hard to get a future job.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

He can just be a priest like my friend who's now 45 and been smoking for thirty years. Priests are self-employed, so no drug tests. He's so cool, buying pot from parishioners. :rolleyes:

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Do you not think I'm aware of all those things you just listed. Trust me, I know about all the different types of drugs tests they can administer and how far they date back. Thanks for the heads up though.

jon

Also, good to see you iSaint. Your Bulldogs got the best of us the other night. I guess we will see you in the Tourney for that West title. It will be a shootout, your team is good this year.

25. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Ew, you're kind of annoying aren't you?